Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Caution for Prospective Panamera GTS Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:36 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I have one of the launch edition 4s"s (pretty loaded with PDCC), and over the years I have noticed a couple things. One for such a big heavy car it seems to be very sensitive to tire pressure, if you use the specs (mine says 44r 41f), it feels a bit like it is floating, so I had to try different pressures to get it the way I wanted. Your car I'm sure has different wheels and tires (and I'm sure you know it takes a few hundred miles for the tires to really grip right), so what I set mine at probably will not work for you. Second, I have said this before, the Panamera is a great sport sedan, but not a sports car (at least in my definition), that 4 door sports car line reminds me of those Nissan Maxima ads. It is still in my opinion the best handling car for its size and weight, but thinking it is anything else is going to lead to disappointment.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I have one of the launch edition 4s"s (pretty loaded with PDCC), and over the years I have noticed a couple things. One for such a big heavy car it seems to be very sensitive to tire pressure, if you use the specs (mine says 44r 41f), it feels a bit like it is floating, so I had to try different pressures to get it the way I wanted. Your car I'm sure has different wheels and tires (and I'm sure you know it takes a few hundred miles for the tires to really grip right), so what I set mine at probably will not work for you. Second, I have said this before, the Panamera is a great sport sedan, but not a sports car (at least in my definition), that 4 door sports car line reminds me of those Nissan Maxima ads. It is still in my opinion the best handling car for its size and weight, but thinking it is anything else is going to lead to disappointment.
I have probably been a little critical of my (wife's) new GTS, it certainly qualifies as a "great sports sedan" but not a "sports car." I am more mad at myself for not purchasing the car with PDCC than anything, my Cayenne TT has PDCC and it is very, very good in my view. I am also mad at Porsche for not including it as a standard option in their GTS -- I would gladly of given up some the glitz like carbon fiber or all leather interior. Of course, I am also comparing the new GTS with my GT3, which is a very good on the track, fully stock, and still excellent as a daily driver, which is not a fair comparison.

Once the GTS is fully broken in, I will take it out on my local track and see how it does -- the sales guys at my local Porsche dealer all raved about the car on the Barber track in Alabama, i.e., "I was almost as fast as I was in a 991 TT." We'll see -- I have no real expectations but it will be fun to see how it handles. I did drive home last night very late on some twisty back roads, and the car was much better than my initial impressions.

I am curious what tires you are running on your 4S -- the dealer optioned my car with all-season tires. It is equipped with 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport A/S -- 255/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with 38 psi in all four tires (per the manual).
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, "all season" !!!
Not sure I would like "that" on my Panamera !
If living in a "winter" place, I would go for two sets of wheels, I just do not like "compromises", ..on tires.
(It is true, we have worse : (M+S) Conti on our CTT, and I HATE THEM, BIG TIME.) Even if they are "new", their days are counted.
I have Pirelli P Zero (exact same dimensions as yours), (N0), on the P4S, and this is not the first set.
Just love them, but run on higher PS (40 front and 44 rear).
(About the Boxster : Nitto NT01)
Old 09-17-2015, 10:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 565 Posts

We love our '15 P GTS.

Hubby says it has PDCC but he was told don't bother using it.
It's his DD. I rarely drive it but when I do I enjoy it.

When he starts it - the house vibrates and rumbles. Best cold start car we've ever owned. Also very comfy for long road trips. Very happy with it. Got it at the end of May.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
Well, "all season" !!!
Not sure I would like "that" on my Panamera !
If living in a "winter" place, I would go for two sets of wheels, I just do not like "compromises", ..on tires.
(It is true, we have worse : (M+S) Conti on our CTT, and I HATE THEM, BIG TIME.) Even if they are "new", their days are counted.
I have Pirelli P Zero (exact same dimensions as yours), (N0), on the P4S, and this is not the first set.
Just love them, but run on higher PS (40 front and 44 rear).
(About the Boxster : Nitto NT01)
I run two sets of wheels with summer and winter tires on all our cars -- unfortunately I did not order this car which I usually do, once the Michelin PS A/S have a few miles on them, I'll put the right tires on the car. I think our dealer ordered the most of his SUVs and Panamera's with A/S tires given the time of the year.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:14 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Originally Posted by NMM991
I have probably been a little critical of my (wife's) new GTS, it certainly qualifies as a "great sports sedan" but not a "sports car." I am more mad at myself for not purchasing the car with PDCC than anything, my Cayenne TT has PDCC and it is very, very good in my view. I am also mad at Porsche for not including it as a standard option in their GTS -- I would gladly of given up some the glitz like carbon fiber or all leather interior. Of course, I am also comparing the new GTS with my GT3, which is a very good on the track, fully stock, and still excellent as a daily driver, which is not a fair comparison.

Once the GTS is fully broken in, I will take it out on my local track and see how it does -- the sales guys at my local Porsche dealer all raved about the car on the Barber track in Alabama, i.e., "I was almost as fast as I was in a 991 TT." We'll see -- I have no real expectations but it will be fun to see how it handles. I did drive home last night very late on some twisty back roads, and the car was much better than my initial impressions.

I am curious what tires you are running on your 4S -- the dealer optioned my car with all-season tires. It is equipped with 20 inch Michelin Pilot Sport A/S -- 255/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with 38 psi in all four tires (per the manual).
First I agree with you the GTS should come stand with all the features that make the car handle at its best, but this is a Porsche and options are their bread and butter. Like you I live in place where winter is a real season and I have both winter and summer tires in 20" (also have set of 21" HRE wheels I never mounted), but I have cars I use in winter and cars I use in nicer weather so I ended up leaving the All Season tires on all year. I found 41 and 39 worked best of the Pirelli AS, though I am also an older guy (learned to drive on a three on a tree) and never got used to traction controls on cars (I have trouble getting the feel for a car when it is on), and I like to feel the car break a bit. But lets be real you're comparing it to a GT3 and that's a pretty high bar to reach. I have feeling the car will grow on you, though I have the 18 way seats (the 997 has the adaptive sport seats from a 997GT3) and they are they only ones I can feel comfortable in.

The Panamera is my 40th Porsche this is #39 a heavily modified (so much so Porsche dealers call it a kit car) was taken apart and put back together some parts are one off, does not weigh much more than the Abarth (supercharged around 575hp no traction controls) and only gets driven in conditions where it wont kill you. I used to be known for doing crazy things to cars and then in 2010 I started writing novels (my 3rd came out in July) as a hobby. At my age you need to know your limits and my reflexes, my eyes, or my ears are not what they used to be.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 AM
NMM991
Racer

I will try slightly higher pressures - I was surprised that the manual calls out the same pressure in all four tires; hot they run 41-42 in the front and 39-40 rear. That's just with normal driving on mid-80 degree temperatures.

I am sure I will get used to the car -- I am an engineer so I like to know that the car has more capability than I may ask of it; the GT3 is the car I will push to at least my limits. And my Cayenne TT shows how much better the Panamera GTS would be with PDCC. Your 18-way seats would be a big improvement; not so much from the car's capability but I fit in them really well and and they hold me in place. We have an outstanding auto upholster close by and I might see if the side bolsters on the seats and seat backs can be tweaked a little. He has done some amazing work on vintage cars.

Not sure where you are, my our local PCA group here has a very good DE program which I have taken advantage of and I have also joined a local track. There are a lot of 68 plus people running on the track; I am 70 and none of us are trying to set track records or race, but it's great fun to use your car to your limits. I know one 74 year old guy who does 40 track days a year; just a thought. PCA clubs do a great job.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:02 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have winter and summer wheel/tire sets for my PGTS and 991 TTS, as A/S tires are a poor compromise. Factory pressures work fine for me on the road, but on track depending on the ambient temperature, i find that I need to lower the pressure about 8-10 psi. Michelin PSS on the PGTS for summer and Sotto Zeros for winter, as they were the only ones available when I got my car in early Dec. There is a very noticeable difference in cornering between the PGTS winter and summer tires. Summer Panamera Sport wheels are a bit wider for rear tires than the 911Turbo II winter set. Not sure what wheels you have. If 19's on A/S i should think that cornering would not be as firm as with 20's fitted with summer tires.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:49 AM
1Carnut
Pro

I live in PA, about 20 outside of Philly, they call it the main line around here. I used to take part in events, but then came Marriage (I did everything late in life) divorce 50/50 custody of my 11 (yup 11) year old twin boys (along with my girlfriends two girls), running two companies, and my writing takes up a lot of my time. That and the fact that arthritis( and a very reckless youth) has taken its toll on me. I wear a brace on one of my wrists most of the time. Though I guess when it comes down to it I think the biggest reason I no longer take part is the fact I would rather remember the times when I could really handle a car, those days are over for me and though I know it, and I have never been satisfied with doing something I could not do the way I wanted to.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 AM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Carnut
I live in PA, about 20 outside of Philly, they call it the main line around here. I used to take part in events, but then came Marriage (I did everything late in life) divorce 50/50 custody of my 11 (yup 11) year old twin boys (along with my girlfriends two girls), running two companies, and my writing takes up a lot of my time. That and the fact that arthritis( and a very reckless youth) has taken its toll on me. I wear a brace on one of my wrists most of the time. Though I guess when it comes down to it I think the biggest reason I no longer take part is the fact I would rather remember the times when I could really handle a car, those days are over for me and though I know it, and I have never been satisfied with doing something I could not do the way I wanted to.
You are certainly living an interesting life and don't need any more excitement in your life; sounds like you have your priorities right. As someone once told me -- "this ain't no dress rehearsal, you only get one life."
Old 09-20-2015, 08:26 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Thanks, never made it past the 8th grade, was homeless living on the streets in my early 20's, and am the poster boy for Aspergers, so I have worked at showing people that you can make it in life regardless of where you come from, or what you must overcome.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 AM
NMM991
Racer

+1
Old 01-03-2021, 06:24 PM
davidtong
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991

any update on track driving ?
Old 01-03-2021, 06:25 PM
davidtong
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@NMM991 I am looking to buy a 2015 PGTS without PDCC now. wanting to see if you have any update on yours after more miles were put on. thanks
Old 01-03-2021, 08:58 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

I think it is common sense you need PDCC on a large car like the Panamera if you want it to drive sporty. I'm really surprised you expected a car without much body roll and chose a car without PDCC. Did you think all the people who pay up for PDCC are suckers?

Quick Reply: Caution for Prospective Panamera GTS Buyers