e-hybrid consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
gman99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e-hybrid consumption

Just sharing my impressions about the car:

Well into our 2nd year of a fairly loaded late 2014 e-hybrid lease. No problems whatsoever thus far (12,500 miles). Ontario, Canada car, so exposed to the elements (RWD only not so great).

Assuming car's trip computer accurate, our fuel consumption over the past 1,500 km (approx 900 miles) has been very low: 2.8l/100km.........which is equivalent to 101 mpg (IMP)!!! or approx 84 mpg (US). Average speed 45km/h.

Obviously we have been able to drive a great deal on electric only during the summer, and for more limited distances (summer temperatures seem to improve battery range, too). It's not as though we have not driven the car briskly at all, either. I have used the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes on occasion, for eg. It is noteworthy that it was never my plan to take this large sporty four door GT to a track on weekends.

101mpg for a 5,000 lb vehicle is quite good. Of course, the figure of 101mpg does NOT capture the use of electrical energy (or other resource use related factors), but the numbers remain impressive from my perspective. We've been quite diligent about maximizing charging overnight when electricity is often in surplus and least costly.........our utility bills do not seem to be appreciably higher.

A Porsche with eco-credentials...........btw, I considered a Tesla, but range anxiety issues given where I reside (1 1/2 hours north of Toronto) was a principle determining factor. At the time we took delivery, there was no 700hp dual engine 4wd Tesla option.......Elon Musk definitely has my attention now..............so Porsche's achievement with the e-hybrid is remarkable IMO, but they will have do pick up the pace and provide an even better option lest they concede this growing market to others.

In the meantime, I went ahead and ordered a new Cayenne e-hybrid.....I plan on disabling the e-sound noise generating components....too noisy, and we don't live in a large urban center where pedestrian safety is a factor to consider (these cars can be deceptively quiet at times).
Old 08-31-2015, 05:36 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Not including the electrical energy's a pretty big issue once the gas consumption starts dropping that low. By that standard, a model S gets infinite MPG, since it uses no gasoline directly, ever. That's the problem with the NEDC tests, they have a fairly short cycle that doesn't measure battery usage, which is why the PSeH has such preposterous European consumption ratings and fairly modest EPA ratings.

I've been trending more to around 30 MPG, or 7.8 liters / 100km. But that depends on where you drive, and how you drive. I rarely use the battery alone even if I'm driving within battery range, because I find battery-only driving too sedate, and only do it if traffic forces me to. It's not 84 MPG, but it's a lot better than you could expect with any comparable performance car, given the amount of city driving I do.

I do think the EPA tests significantly understate the fuel efficiency, particularly the battery power efficiency. Part of that is that EPA US06 test demands enough power that you can't do it on battery power alone in the PSeH, so they include gasoline usage, which hurts the numbers significantly. Part of it is that they don't actually test air drag, they test stationary and then adjust the numbers for assumed drag, and the Panamera's a fairly aerodynamic car.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Not including the electrical energy's a pretty big issue once the gas consumption starts dropping that low..
Very true...but by my calcs I am paying the equivalent of only $1/gallon for electricity when charging at home and $0 when I charge at other locations (about 20% of the time for me).

Calc - I refill about 8kwh at 9cents each (or slightly less) thus 72 cents to fill the battery. I get 16 miles on that and I get 23mpg on just gas.. So it takes me 1.4375 battery tanks to go 23 miles...or $1 worth.

If premium is at $3.50 a gallon, I can go 80 miles on $3.50 of electricity instead..thus 80mpg equivalent all costs considered.

Quick Reply: e-hybrid consumption