Navigation Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Smileman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Upgrade

Good day to all!

I had my 2010 P4S in for an oil change at the dealer, and I asked about updating the maps for navigation. They told me I needed to purchase the CD's and that the dealer needed to do the install. Total cost around $450-$500. True? False?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Smileman
Good day to all!

I had my 2010 P4S in for an oil change at the dealer, and I asked about updating the maps for navigation. They told me I needed to purchase the CD's and that the dealer needed to do the install. Total cost around $450-$500. True? False?
Unfortunately, true. The retail cost seems about right. I find it surprising that they charge for nav updates (after all, they don't charge for software updates for the car's other functions) and that they don't automatically notify you whenever a nav update is available.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Garmin's business model used to center around charging for annual map updates, but they only ran about $75 tops. $450+ is highway robbery.

The map data is certainly significant, but everyone has shifted to including lifetime updates in the purchase price now. Of course, my experience with Porsche's navigation system (in a 2015) is that it's seriously backward. It's ridiculously sensitive to setting the search zone, preferably by zip code, and it only does partial matches from the start of a name, not strings embedded in the name. I'm pretty sure everyone else moved beyond that a decade ago.

Quick Reply: Navigation Upgrade