Sponsored by: Porsche San Diego

When is Panamera being redesigned?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:21 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
I never underestimate Porsche engineering or its marketing skills. Yes, they occasionally err, like with the first 991 GT3, but they more than made up for that problem. Surely there will be enough charging stations.
Not all customers will have three phase power though at their homes. Given the relatively fast charging time many will just take theirs to the dealership for charging if they do not have home charging. They take years testing new vehicles, as is the case with the 991.2 Carrera.
Andrew, do you have any real world knowledge on super charging?
A network of Super changers is competitive advantage for long distance travel.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I do not have a Tesla so have no "real world" knowledge of SC

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Andrew, do you have any real world knowledge on super charging?
A network of Super changers is competitive advantage for long distance travel.

Aside from your obvious point about my EV knowledge, if your point is that Porsche will be at a competitive disadvantage to Tesla then be it so. I suppose that if in a few years I want to drive the Mission E a long distance, I may have to plan my recharging stops. However, if you have identified the competitive challenges, it is likely that Porsche has done so as well.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:57 PM
jrjunior31
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panny GTS is a sexy vehicle I've gotten tons of compliments on mine. From certain angles the back can look a little bloated or heavy but there's plenty of gorgeous lines throughout nonetheless...
Attached Images  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Aside from your obvious point about my EV knowledge, if your point is that Porsche will be at a competitive disadvantage to Tesla then be it so. I suppose that if in a few years I want to drive the Mission E a long distance, I may have to plan my recharging stops. However, if you have identified the competitive challenges, it is likely that Porsche has done so as well.
Would you buy a car with an ICE, if you'd have to take it to the dealer for refueling, plan for major detours to refuel, or couldn't find a gas station that can fill up your tank in less than 30 minutes?

You would not.

Tesla has a solution that is at least quite workable. It's not everywhere, yet, but they are adding superchargers in many more places very rapidly. And they are free to use for Model S and X customers. When was the last time Porsche bought us free gas?

Porsche is inventing a new cool charging system, which would be awesome to have. But they have not shown any interest - so far - in building a charging infrastructure. Nor has their parent company (VW). They rely on 3rd parties, that will say: "We'll build it when there is demand."

The problem is: How many Mission E cars will there be? What will be the justification to build these stations, unless lots of cars use the same technology? So far it sounds good on paper - no doubt - but unless it becomes more widely adopted by auto makers, there will be very few chargers. Which brings you back to charging an hour or longer - just like with a Tesla in current configuration. Only that you won't have access to all the convenient locations.

I don't want to discourage you or anyone from being excited about the Mission E. I think it will be a fantastic automobile, and we will all drool over it. But at the end of the day, Porsche needs to make sure it is practical to use, or it will simply be a weekend toy for a few collectors.

I can't wait to see how they resolve this.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:16 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Default I just got a '16 PGTS that is the exact twin to yours..

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
Panny GTS is a sexy vehicle I've gotten tons of compliments on mine. From certain angles the back can look a little bloated or heavy but there's plenty of gorgeous lines throughout nonetheless...
Get many compliments on it and love the car. Said this elsewhere, but liked driving my '13 PGTS daily more than my '15 TTS so when the white '16 GTS appeared for an amazing CPO deal with 2k miles on the clock made the move. Good karma on the trade. Must change my signature.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:47 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Even Porsche's CEO Admits The Panamera Is Kind Of Fugly
http://jalopnik.com/even-porsches-ce...gly-1645633158

Say what you want about Porsche, but not a lot of ugly cars have been allowed to leave their factories. That's what makes the Porsche Panamera so surprising: despite being one of the best-performing sedans in the world, and one of their top-selling models, it's a bit of a fuggo.

Some people believe Porsche should offer one car and you get to choose the color. Porsche, well,…Bloated, awkwardly-proportioned, and trying way too hard to look like a 911, the Panamera just isn't ever going to be considered a design classic. You know who else agrees with this? Porsche's own global CEO, Matthias Mueller.

In an interview with Australia's Motoring, Mueller elaborated on the upcoming new Panamera due out in 2016. He said it's due to look "faster" with a more coupe-like roofline than the outgoing car. (It will also be lighter, making use of a new platform that will later underpin the next Bentley Continental.) Mueller gave an unusually candid assessment of the styling of the Panamera:

"There have been some small mistakes and we will do it better," Mueller promised when asked what we could expect from the next Panamera.
"For example the design could be better." Asked if he was referring to exterior styling, he said "as well as the interior."

Mueller added that designers and engineers have "addressed certain things" with the new car, including making it "more attractive." Ouch. I mean, you can tell he's kind of trying to be nice about it, but you can also tell that he didn't regard the Panamera's design as its strongest suit. Hopefully, the next one will be a little easier on the eyes. The rest of Porsche's lineup —including even the re-designed Cayenne and all-new Macan, if I dare say so — are all pretty good-looking.

But in the interview, Mueller said he thinks the new Panamera will remain polarizing, but he'd rather people talk about it than ignore it. "I am sure a lot of people won't like the design of the next generation. And that's fine by me. I would prefer to have cars and products that polarise rather than being just okay. I think that's the worst thing for a product. And the new Panamera I am sure there will still be people that don't like it.

Who wants a boring-looking Porsche, right?
Old 03-23-2016, 10:02 AM
EmMHoLLa
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Found these shots online.. The car looks really good.. Especially the back.. The stickers don't fool me.. It will look like the Sport Truism Concept..

Name:  image_zpspo0mk5mt.jpeg
Views: 154
Size:  60.8 KB
Name:  image_zpsl18becrm.jpeg
Views: 105
Size:  86.8 KB
Name:  image_zpszk1fgetf.jpeg
Views: 124
Size:  77.1 KB
Name:  image_zpskkpb26zc.jpeg
Views: 116
Size:  88.8 KB
Old 03-23-2016, 10:43 AM
AndrewP
Pro

Default Rear side perspective is smoother...

Originally Posted by EmMHoLLa
Found these shots online.. The car looks really good.. Especially the back.. The stickers don't fool me.. It will look like the Sport Truism Concept..

To me the big change is in the size and lighter weight, although the present model is quite large. The lighter weight will undoubtedly improve handling along with assumed suspension improvements. New PCM will be an improvement, but not exponential to me anyway. Like so many Porsche models the changes will be a big deal to aficionados, but probably not enough to persuade the S Class, 7 Series and A8 owners to switch. Thing is that the Panemera combines sports car handling (do a hot lap with a Porsche pro driver around a slalom course if you doubt me, or drive a session in one at Barber MSP), luxury sedan comforts, especially cruising on a the highway and the storage space of medium sized SUV's. It is literally in a class of its own, including the polarizing design.

Herr Muller is a brilliant visionary and manager, so despite VAG's problems I believe that Porsche will continue to gain share and when it enters the EV market will have a loyal following, if no converts from the Tesla fans who have parachuted into this thread about the redesign of the re-design of the Panemera.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

I really like the look of the new Panamera. It's like with the Cayenne: Gen2 looks the way it should have from the beginning. I don't know what Dr. Wiedeking was thinking when he approved these sub-optimal designs, but the new designer and leadership are top notch.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Preeble
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the spy shots, it is hard to tell the differences from the current model. Minor ones I spot:
1. The rear view mirrors have a new mount that seems sleeker (althought the mirror seems to be the same size)
2. The front spoiler is updated/sleeker. The running lights are thinner and it looks like the air intakes are bigger. Also appears that there are fog lights
3. The rear hatch looks like its design is similar to the 1st gen/original Panamera (without the button on the refreshed model)
4. The roofline is more raked - this is probably the most important update and may address the 'hump-back' issue of the current Panameras. It remains to be seen if this affects rear seat headroom. Personally, I would rather have the hump-back and retain the headroom. The rear door design also looks different and may not include all of the rear window on the door.
5. The headlights and taillights will be updated, but there is really nothing wrong with the current designs today, so prob just a refresh to make it look sharper.

I'm not going to comment on the interior as we all have seen the shots of the dash that has fewer buttons and some embedded touch elements. I do think that the updated steering wheel is neat.

In all, I think the new model will be welcomed, but perhaps not ground-breaking. I liken it to the Cayenne refresh from 1st to 2nd generation - a lot more chiseled (although, seeing 1st gen Cayennes gives me fond memories of driving a nimble tank).
Old 03-27-2016, 02:56 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Remember that while it may look somewhat similar to Panamera Gen1, it's a completely different car. Built on a shared platform that is significantly lighter, and no piece of sheet metal or suspension part carried over from the old model. I's going to be a great car, no doubt!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Much better lines in the rear of the new Panamera.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:50 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Much better lines in the rear of the new Panamera.

Looks like A7 (or RS7), which is not a bad design. I hope they make a wagon/sportback/whatever-has-upright-rear-hatch version.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 67 Posts

starting to look like a sports turismo concept with the 4s style light or glass going all the way across under the trunk, and I bet underneath those stickers are some macan or 991.2 style 3D taillights. Looks like the tail lights will be very streamlined.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they take design cues from the back end of the C4S models, I'm sold.

It's a superb vehicle without a doubt; but until the redesign, I've hated hated hated the exterior.
From what I've seen, I'd seriously consider buying the new iteration.

Quick Reply: When is Panamera being redesigned?