Panamera 2010-Current

When is Panamera being redesigned?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:12 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mac
I own a 2011 Panamera 4s, 2013 Cayenne Turbo and a 2015 GT3. I can say HANDS DOWN...my Panamera is my FAVORITE car I own. I love it. My wife named it "The Pig" and I think that is a perfect name for it. It is big, strong and one of a kind.

I think the Panamera test mules look very nice it person....since I am the one that actually saw them. The picture don't do it justice. Bottom line...the Panamera is a Porsche...and a DAMN GOOD one at that!

I ***fully*** agree with you.

(Our garage looks a little bit the same : a Panamera 4S, a Cayenne Turbo, after 7 years and 110k miles of Cayenne S, but the diff: my track/fun car is a modified Boxster S, as I'm not a talented driver, after 30 years of 911, I went Boxster, that is much more easier to drive fast than a 911 !!!)

Yes, a Panamera (with air suspension and sport plus) is (by far) the BEST grand tourism/miles eater car that I know about.

And yes, the new one, that is cooking now, looks to be even better.
Many reasons IMO :
. The current back line, (that personally do not disturb me, as this line offers so many advantages inside) seems to be changed to a **very** nice one. This is not polishing, but transforming a "so-so" into a beautiful one.
. The wheel base (not the total length, that seems to remain the same) is a bit longer, or, the already incredible comfort could become even "better" !!
. It seems that V8 NA models could come back
. And manual gearbox option could be "back" too !

All together, for me, if the above goes to prod, this car will hit the bull eyes, leaving all potential competitor cars miles away.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:20 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thanks for this post. We pick up our '15 P-GTS tomorrow. The re-design of the rear glass clinched it. We chose it for the versatility, awesome sound, sporty handling, ability to comfortably hold four adults and lots of cargo. Impressions will be forthcoming once we get some time behind the wheel. We'll leave for a long road trip (10 hours +/-) the afternoon we take delivery.

..IMO, you simply pick-up the best !
Old 05-28-2015, 06:23 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Mac
I was on the way back from Las Vegas in my Panamera 4S and pulled into the gas station and look what I saw...4 Panamera test mules and 1 current Panamera. I pulled up to one of them and asked what they were testing and one guy answered, "Not sure what your talking about." I pulled out my iPhone to take some picts, and they sped off. They were all VERY dusty like they were out doing some dirt road Mohave Desert testing? The rear lights, rear side windows and area behind the front wheels were all STICKERS.

About a half hour later, we were on the freeway and low and behold...5 black Panameras! I said, "Wife...take some video of this!" She promptly pulled out her iPhone and started to video them...a couple of the drivers actually gave us the thumbs up. You can see the rear spoiler in one that is completely different then current models. When we got to car 3...they hit the brakes. What an awesome day for a Porsche lover.
Wow. At least we know that the proportions are spot on. Looks like a smooshed down and stretched out Macan. It's unfortunate that it's going bigger, as I feel the length and long wheelbase of the current Panny suck out a lot of fun factor on a track. Even though it's an incredibly capable car.

I think that Porsche is on such a stylistic roll, that they're gonna mend all the kinks of the current Panny that imo still carries some of Porsche's immediately previous gen "growing pains" awkward phase.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:55 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing about the Panamera is that it carries either four adults or a lot of cargo. Which, admittedly, is a lot more than most sports cars can do.

This came up because we were driving my wife's parents to New York, and suddenly cargo space was a huge problem. We had 2 adults in the back, and it was a struggle to get luggage for 4 adults in the trunk. Particularly since the in-laws don't travel light. I was so impressed with the cargo space before then that it came as a surprise to realize I hadn't considered that scenario. For long trips with luggage, it works a lot better if you're carrying 3 people and fold down one of the rear seats for cargo room.

Of course, prior to this, I'd never have considered carrying more than 2 people, since the rear seats in the Supra were purely cosmetic, completely unworkable for anything but toddlers or a single adult lying sideways. 90% of the time they were folded down. And of course my wife's Cayman doesn't have rear seats.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 PM
9114Scab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I have a 2012 4s cab and a 2014 Panamera 4. I absolutely love my Panamera, its not ugly to me, matter of fact, I get more compliments driving the Pan than I do driving my 911. (go figure)

It is an outstanding 4 door sedan, (Porsche calls it a 4dr coupe,
Old 07-22-2015, 01:46 PM
blackbull
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
I would have to agree that the Panamera is not very pleasing to the eye, however, the Tesla is a beautiful inspired design by Franz von Holzhausen.

The Tesla would be great car....if it had a petrol engine !!
Old 07-22-2015, 01:54 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Tesla is a very impressive automobile. My preference is clear, however, and the Panamera to me conveys a much more powerful, attractive and enduring design message.
It also has much better brakes, which of course are only important in the last few feet before potential impact.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:02 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Tesla is a very impressive automobile. My preference is clear, however, and the Panamera to me conveys a much more powerful, attractive and enduring design message.
It also has much better brakes, which of course are only important in the last few feet before potential impact.
Andrew,
Do yourself a favor and drive both a Tesla and a Panamera back to back. The Brembos are really impressive.
You may be surprised with the insane acceleration (2.8 sec 0 to 60) and performance of the new Model S 90D.
I am a die hard 911 fan and had to have a Tesla after driving one ... perhaps the free super charging swayed me.

http://insideevs.com/new-tesla-model...er-base-model/

Old 07-23-2015, 06:21 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks FlatSix911

Have they improved the interior and does the model you mention have AWD? I have to put winter tires on in Nov and although can generally avoid driving in snowy conditions, I am very confident with my PGTS in the slippery conditions. I don't track my PGTS so don't have to be concerned with the power limitations of a Tesla after sustained high performance driving. My comment on brakes is based on a MT or R&T review of a Tesla and a PTTS with PCCB's, so probably an unfair comparison. Last time I checked, I had to go into a large, distant mall to even see a Tesla, much less test drive one--and I live about five miles from downtown Boston. (I did not go because they banned dogs at the dealership. No dog, no me.) Not the friendliest or easiest dealer to access. By comparison, got to drive a Huracan and Aventador at Lime Rock Park for more than a few laps and could test drive any Porsche or Bentley I want with no problem. Why is Tesla so difficult to access? The only one I have driven is a neighbor's Tesla S about a year and a half ago. The thing flew and handled extremely well, but the interior and seats just did not work for me.

Also, I tend to get my need for speed satisfied with my 991 TTS. Don't much care if someone wants to stoplight race whether I am in the 991 TTS or my PGTS. Too dangerous and not worth whatever satisfaction I might get from such a contest so straight acceleration times are not that important to me. The track is a different story.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:00 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Andrew, the new Tesla model S has an upgraded interior and AWD denoted by the Dual motor D option.
My 3 dogs love the ride and have a large hatch back that I can carry a large volume of cargo if necessary.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:08 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When is Panamera being redesigned?
Not a minute too soon. Clunky-a** boat...
Old 02-05-2016, 09:55 PM
AdPock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default next gen 2017 Panamera (and Shooting Brake!)

the 2017 Porsche Panamera Shooting Brake spied, along with the next gen regular model...
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rake-spy-shots

here's my front page take:
https://rennlist.com/articles/2012-p...hooting-brake/
Old 02-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Don McK
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the concept of a Panamera Shooting Brake, but this looks too much like a Macan back end grafted onto a Panamera front end. Perhaps the production model will look different, but since it's not likely the US will be getting the model, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:01 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
I would have to agree that the Panamera is not very pleasing to the eye, however, the Tesla is a beautiful inspired design by Franz von Holzhausen.

Well, this is, imo, still a big question !
We should remember that before Tesla hired Mr. Franz von Holzhausen, Mr. Henrik Fisker was in charge of the design of the Serie S.
Then, he was fired by Tesla, ..when he started up Fisker !

Imo, the design of the Serie S (simply beautiful, and I'm ready to bet that this so elegant design is for a lot, ..in the success of this car) is to close to in term of elegance, basic of the lines, etc.. to the Aston Martin (design by Mr. Henrik Fisker) that I can only think that Mr. von Holzhausen "polished" what was originally produced by Mr. Fisker.
(Also good to remember that beside the Aston Martin, Mr. Fisker was also the designer of the BMW Z8.)

If you look at the cars that have been designed by Mr. von Holzhausen before the Serie S, imo, they do not carry the same "design smell" at all!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:43 AM
Nicole
Cottage Industry Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 149 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by AdPock
the 2017 Porsche Panamera Shooting Brake spied, along with the next gen regular model...
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rake-spy-shots
This is a test mule for high speed aerodynamics testing. Look at the shape of the rear door frames - there is a regular Panamera underneath the cover.

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
If you look at the cars that have been designed by Mr. von Holzhausen before the Serie S, imo, they do not carry the same "design smell" at all!
Hard to know without seeing the original design provided by Fisker. But Elon has stated in the past that the work was sub-standard, and they had to start over again. In fact, they even sued Fisker over it.

Quick Reply: When is Panamera being redesigned?