Panamera 2010-Current

High Speed Charger for e-hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:15 AM
gman99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed Charger for e-hybrid

I wonder if the high speed charger for the 918 is comparable to the optional high speed charger one can buy for the Cayenne e-hybrid. I'm not sure if one can officially order an optional high speed charger for the Panamera e-hybrid, but can anyone think of any reason as to why I couldn't use this premium 918 charger on either the Panamera or Cayenne e-hybrids (probably not a question for which any of the official manuals will have a comprehensive answer)?

Last edited by gman99; 05-06-2015 at 01:24 PM. Reason: At Porsche's request.....
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

No, it's not going to be any advantage.

The actual charger for these cars is built into the car. The box that plugs into the wall is technically "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment", or EVSE. It's common to refer to EVSE's as "chargers," but misleading, because the EVSE is mostly a complicated power cable with safety features.

Thus, your charging rate is limited by how much power your internal charger can handle, and by the EVSE. For 2014's, the car's charger is limited to 3.6 kW. 2015's can have 7.2 kW chargers, but you have to pay for it, because it's an option, and it's part of the car's construction, not an external part.

The 918 EVSE can't change that, and the EVSE that Porsche supplied to you will handle everything your car's charger can demand. Your dealership should know that, and they should never have brought it up.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:39 AM
gman99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!
Thank you taking the time to explain all of that to me. A clear and definitive answer.....cant't beat that.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:08 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
For 2014's, the car's charger is limited to 3.6 kW. 2015's can have 7.2 kW chargers, but you have to pay for it, because it's an option, and it's part of the car's construction, not an external part.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I seem find more info about the e-hybrids in the Panamera forum. I have 2016 Cayenne e-hybrid but with the 3.6kw charger. While the charger may be part of the car's construction, the 7.2kw charger does have a discrete part number and can be replaced (it looks like it's pretty accessible too). I was wondering if anyone knows if the just the charger part (albeit very expensive) can be swapped out or are there wiring bundles issues that would make this prohibitive. Dealers are not very knowledgeable or helpful. How would you go about asking the folks in Germany about this? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:57 PM
mdosu
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Bringing old thread back to life, does anyone know if a 7.2 can be retrofitted? Also around what build dates were 7.2 option offered in the Panny? It doesn't appear any MY2014s has this, according to the 2014 booklet.

Quick Reply: High Speed Charger for e-hybrid