Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera S's racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by W8MM
I have tracked my 2014 Panamera Turbo and previous 2010 Panamera Turbo, both with PCCB. Both cars could go really well, pushing GT3s from behind

HOWEVER, there is one problematic change from the original 2010-2013 to the facelift 2014 (and newer): Porsche engineers reduced the size of the power steering fluid reservoir by a huge amount. The new, tiny reservoir is not large enough to contain the expanded fluid heated by all the work of steering around the track with sticky tires (Cup2). The heat-expanded steering fluid overflowed the reservoir and dripped (ran?) onto the front suspension arm bushings and chemically destroyed the bushing material. I was lucky that Porsche opted to repair the suspension pieces under warranty. YMMV.

My dealer said that a power steering fluid cooler would be needed to continue to track the 2014 (and newer) Panamera. I haven't gone to the trouble of having that done because I'm not sure of a reliably engineered solution.

That said, the PT is very satisfying to drive on the track considering it is so big and heavy compared to a proper track car. It just flies. In the 2010 PT, I was turning 1:22 laps on Michelin Super Sports at Putnam Park in Indiana while practicing for my Club Race pace car function. The pole for the "slower" race that I paced was 1:19.7. I would have been in the second row of that race as an imaginary qualifier. The Panamera is so controllable, it's possible to put it into lurid slides under power with amazing confidence. I love it!

Just watch out for the power steering fluid heating up and expanding out of the reservoir in the facelift version!
Good to know about PS fluid reservoir on pre-14's. Just changed to Michelin PSS tires last week with the wider Panamera Sport wheels and the difference in corning is very noticeable compared to the Sotto Zero winter tires on Turbo II wheels. Will check with tech on monitoring PS fluid anyway. Might be fun to fling the PGTS around corners. Not as fast as your Pan Turbo, but no slouch on the straights either. I don't expect to run better times than the GT3's in the PGTS, but certainly in the 991 TTS even without R compound tires.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
I have tracked my 2014 Panamera Turbo and previous 2010 Panamera Turbo, both with PCCB. Both cars could go really well, pushing GT3s from behind

HOWEVER, there is one problematic change from the original 2010-2013 to the facelift 2014 (and newer): Porsche engineers reduced the size of the power steering fluid reservoir by a huge amount. The new, tiny reservoir is not large enough to contain the expanded fluid heated by all the work of steering around the track with sticky tires (Cup2). The heat-expanded steering fluid overflowed the reservoir and dripped (ran?) onto the front suspension arm bushings and chemically destroyed the bushing material. I was lucky that Porsche opted to repair the suspension pieces under warranty. YMMV.

My dealer said that a power steering fluid cooler would be needed to continue to track the 2014 (and newer) Panamera. I haven't gone to the trouble of having that done because I'm not sure of a reliably engineered solution.

Just watch out for the power steering fluid heating up and expanding out of the reservoir in the facelift version!
OK -- After much further research, I need to retract some of the information in the above tirade. It was based on inaccurate information I initially received from my dealer's service department. They have now done a great research job for me.

1) The power steering reservoir is the same size in the 2010 and 2014 Panamera Turbo. It may even have the same part number. My dealer guy got mixed up between models and gave me an inaccurate initial diagnosis.

2) The 2014 shouldn't need a power steering fluid cooler because it already has one, identical to the 2010, maybe the same part number.

3) The real problem with the power steering fluid overflow at the track is the composition of the fluid itself and any entrapped gasses (air bubbles) in the fluid. The 2010 had many thousands of miles under its belt when I first took it to the track. The time and miles had pretty well de-gassed the old fluid so it was less likely to generate foam under stress.

4) The best guess solution to prevent foaming burps out of the power steering reservoir is to switch to a higher temperature and lower foaming fluid -- say Redline power steering fluid. It might also be nice to connect a vacuum pump in place of the reservoir cap for a while after flushing out the old fluid and filling with the new to "encourage" trapped gasses to escape the fluid before final top-off (to the minimum fill line).

Sorry if my previous post led anyone astray.

Quick Reply: Panamera S's racing