Panamera 2010-Current

Oil Consumption Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil Consumption Panamera 4S

I have a 2012 P4S that I bought new and now have 22,500 miles on it. Love the car and so far no issues at all. Since 20,000 I have hit the "Add Oil" light about every 900 miles or so. After the first time, it was 1000 miles since service, so I took it in to have them measure and they did an oil consumption test. The results are that they say the car is within Porsche specs which are 1 liter of oil every 680 miles or so.

Is anyone out there seeing this kind of oil consumption?
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 35K on my 4S and add about 1 qt every 2500 miles. I usually go 6,000 miles between changes and use the recommended 0W40 Mobil1. Incidentally, look up the spec on the mobil site, the additive package in this blend is different relative to other multigrades and I insist on it being used even if other oils are acceptable but not equivalent.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Search the internet about 0W-40 Mobil 1, seems it is formulated for emmisions compliance & fuel economy as top priority over anti-wear additives. I switched to Castrol Syntec Edge 10W-40 as a result.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 AM
pmichaelis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true, the wear package is the most significant feature of 0W40, I don't know where your info came from, it's not duplicated in "acceptable" alternatives which can be used temporarily when 0W40 isn't available.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

This is very strange !
In my case, I have close to zero oil need, now at 44k miles (on a 4S).
I would be curious to know where this "lost" oil goes !!
Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
robhamster
Instructor

I would as well. No leaks of any kind. No smoke out the tailpipe. I just went through another quart in about 900 miles, which I called the dealership and was assured that it was "within specs".
Old 11-15-2014, 03:30 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

This is pretty crazy, in my 4S, I think I have added 2 quarts over about 20'000 miles, so it is Not by design. Very-very strange !
Old 11-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by robhamster
I would as well. No leaks of any kind. No smoke out the tailpipe. I just went through another quart in about 900 miles, which I called the dealership and was assured that it was "within specs".
Unfortunately based on what Porsche deems within spec, 1 quart in 900 miles is within spec. IIRC, oil consumption has to drop to 1 quart in less than 600 miles (1 liter in less than 1000kms) to be considered action worthy.

Where does the oil go?

Out the tail pipe.

However, the oil consumption doesn't have to be from some inferior engine component, like most fear, that is from bad rings, or loose piston/cylinder fit, or excessive valve guide/stem clearance or valve guide seals.

If it was from one of these I think you'd see oil smoke at times while driving the car.

Where I think it comes from is a subpar AOS (air oil separator).

If at any cold start you see a puff of smoke from the exhaust this is from the AOS. It has failed to separate the oil vapor from the crankcase fumes and these fumes in then going into the intake have to make a sharp turn and the oil vapor being heavier can't make this turn and impact and collect on the intake walls.

The engine was shut down and heat soak warmed this oil which ran down into a cylinder if the intake valves were open. Otherwise, it just collects on top of the intake valves.

Upon next cold engine start this oil is not combusted completely either in the cold engine or the cold converters and smoke is the result.

However, if the AOS fails to remove the vapor just before engine shut down it can do this at anytime.

The difference is the engine is hot, the converters are hot, and the oil gets burned with no visible signs, at least no smoking.

While the engine uses oil the engine isn't really to blame. And knowing that might make the experience a bit less upsetting.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:11 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

It is surprising that (all) that burned oil can go through the cats, ..and not seriously damage them !

These modern engines are "strange" to my engineers eyes !
Another thing (related to oil burning too) on these DFI engines, is WHAT causes gawking on the intake valves ? As the gas (and all gas supplemental "stuff") goes directly in the engine, the intake valves ONLY deal with air, so, what in this air is creating the typical gawking on the valves ?

Sure, it could be the "return" from the air-oil separator, that is sent into the engine for burning !

By the way, such BAD regulation, why the hell this do not go straight out on the asphalt, to add a free layer on it, or, into a waste tank, that can be flushed on servicing ? To my feeling, this would be a LOT more eco-friendly than ..calling the engine to burn this extra oil and oil vapor !!!!

Do I'm getting old and not understand correctly these new engines ??
Old 11-25-2014, 04:47 PM
robhamster
Instructor

UPDATE:

Last Friday, the car started running poorly and I got both a Check Engine light and PSM Failure light. I took the car into the dealership yesterday. They just called and said that the engine will need to be replaced, courtesy of PCNA. I will update when I know more details, but they mentioned the oil loss (consumption) that I was seeing was related to some severe scoring along the cylinder walls due to some unknown cause. Car has 22,700 miles on it. I am not thrilled about this, but better under warranty that not.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your engine. I have heavy oil consumption as well. About 1 qt for every 1200 miles. I recently switched to 5W-40. I am convinced that Mobil 1 0W-40 is a marketing scam and a gold mine for Mobil 1. There are many better oils that will not be consumed at the same rate. We will see.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:05 AM
robhamster
Instructor

I think all of us Panamera owners need to know the cause and prevalence of this problem I have experienced. I am glad they are going to give me a new engine, which they said would be a 2014 engine with the newer DME, so I should be happier with it, but my concern is what happens at 50K or 80K miles with all of these cars. If there is some lurking issue like what happened to the 996 engines with their IMB problems, it would be great for Porsche to recognize and be proactive. I have a 1984 911 cab that is getting a rebuilt engine after 30 years and 140,000 miles, and I expect that. I am a little shocked that my 2 year old Panamera with all its technology and hubris is sitting in the shop as well.

I put a call in yesterday to PCNA to find someone to talk to about this. I will update this group with what I learn. Given the class action lawsuits that PCNA has faced in the past with major issues, I don't expect a fully forthcoming response, but we will see.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if it's the same cylinder scoring that happens in some Cayenne engines at very cold temperatures, since you live in Colorado. I'm really sorry to hear that you have scoring and hope that someone can give you an answer. I was starting to warm up to the idea of a Pana to replace my daily driver but I can't risk a catastrophic engine failure due to our damn cold MN winters.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 AM
trehrlich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 24K miles on my 2011 4S. I've put two quarts of oil in over the last 8K miles.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:25 AM
trehrlich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And..... The indicator just came on for me today, too!
Car is running great though.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Panamera 4S