Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Oil Consumption Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:33 PM
John Rose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 Panamera Turbo with 12,000 miles on it . I am always driving it in sport plus mode to try to make the oil gage go down but up to now its only gone through a quarter of one quart since my 9000 mile oil change. I am concerned because I sometimes see the oil gage actually go higher possibly due to condensation in the oil. Thats when I turn on the afterburner to try to eliminate this.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

And this is the other side of excessive oil consumption.

It can be a sign of something more serious going on. While rare it is not unknown, as your car is proof.

This is what the new car warranty is for.

Now the question will probably be, assuming "bore scoring" is the true explanation -- I fear for these new engines "bore scoring" will be blamed for a lot of ills/troubles/failures like "IMSB" was used for the older engines -- is this some inherent problem or is this a one off?

My take is it is a one off. First your engine had excessive oil consumption, which while is was not overly excessive -- at least as defined by Porsche -- it was quite elevated compared to other engines.

Furthermore, the engine's condition deteriorated to the point the engine manifested other symptoms/behavior that prompted further investigation. This is important. It is very rare a serious internal engine problem will not manifest more serious/obvious signs of its presence as the miles accumulate.

My advise is then to relax. Let the new engine be installed. Be sure get all paperwork associated with this so you can show a prospective buyer -- should you elect to sell or trade in the car at some point -- the engine failure was in no way related to how you treated the car or had the car serviced.

Afterwards resume enjoying the car with its new engine. I would advise you to treat the engine as a new engine -- it very well could be -- and follow the new engine break in guidelines. I'd further advise you that unless forbidden by the owners manual or warranty fine print have the engine oil changed early, say at 750 miles and then again at the end of break in say at (assuming the break in miles is) 2000 miles.

Then adapt reasonable oil change interval thereafter.

I expect you will get exceptional trouble free service life from this engine and will continue to enjoy your car for years to come.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Better late than never...

If the converters ingest to much oil it can harm them.

Even though the recommended oil has a reduced level of ZDDP which is harmful to converters, it still has some and if too much of this oil makes its way to the converters this can foul the converters.

This is one reason why overfilling the oil of these engines is to be avoided.

However, I have to note the converters are warrantied for far longer than the car itself.

My limited experience is far more converters turn up bad due to mechanical problems -- a loose brick or a brick that comes apart (they are ceramic (a fancy glass material)) and sometimes this can fail and come apart -- than fail from ingesting too much oil.

The "gawking" on the intake valves comes from the on purpose back flow of combustion gases into the intake to well pollute the incoming air to under some conditions lower the combustion temperature to reduce the formation of NOx.

The downside is the hot combustion gases contact the rather cold intake valves and some stuff condenses out on the intake valves. If the engine is used in a manner this back flow of combustion gases is frequent the intake valves will accumulate a build of this stuff (gawking) and this build up may affect engine performance. The presence of the build up affect the flow of air into the chamber and the quality of the swirling and ultimately quality of the combustion.

A catch tank for this oil vapor and other crankcase stuff is just another service item. And in being removed it has to be done in such a way that it is collected in an eco-friendly way.

Burning this in the engine is the best way.

Part of the problem is the ever increasing requirements for less pollution and better fuel economy are resulting in compromises in the engine that in some cases make things worse. But the bureaucrats will continue issuing their ever more stringent requirements. The goal is not a real reduction in vehicle pollution. Already modern engines are quite clean compared to their older examples, and automobile pollution is way down on the list of pollution contributors compared to say coal/oil fired power plants (it was power plant operators who a long time ago lobbied to have included in emissions limits passenger vehicles) and the small decreases in automobile pollution by these ever more stringent regulations makes not one whit of difference in pollution levels it is the desire to destroy the automobile as it remains a powerful communication tool and communication is a powerful weapon against dictatorship. That's enough or this will end up in the Off Topic section.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

..The time is relative !

Thanks Macster, Im very impressed by your answer : quite high end, ..and this, both on the emotional and technical sides.
Reading your posts is great for the mind, at more than one layer.

Trying to stay "in topic"', I'm curious to know why we can find on the market kits that would bypass cats (!!!), and I would not comment these here too (I had one that was installed on my "track" Boxster, that I removed and get cats back on !), ..but we cannot find kits that would divert oil (i.e.: to make a free layer on the asphalt), ..and, much more important : would keep our valves clean !

Sure, the "cat" bypass ones do increase noise, which is a pollution too for me, but for many, I can observe that having a car (or a bike) that makes as much noise as possible, seems to be "important" !
(Here too, lets do not slide out of topic !)
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

So I saw the "new" engine today at the dealership and met with the tech who is doing the work. Great comfort there with him. He assured me this is not common or event every so often with panny v8's. S happens but they are not sure what happened to my motor and it is off to Germany for forensics. They told me not to worry that this new engine will last more than 22k miles. Cool how they ship an engine from Germany

My new engine
Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 PM
robhamster
Instructor

I hate posting on Iphone. never get the words right. The tech said that they have not seen this problem with the Panny engines. The scoring we have heard about in the Cayenne V8's are 1::10,000 based on the data Porsche has seen. They are not sure about what exactly happened to my engine, but higher oil consumption was a big clue for me that something was up. The new engine has newer DME and whatnot. Great to see this powerplant sitting humbly on a metal bracket. I hope my situation is unique among us Panny owners. Please watch your oil levels.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:58 AM
robhamster
Instructor

So the dealership redelivered my car to my tonight with the new engine and newer DME. Feels great! Appreciate the warranty. Look forward to the engine making past 22,000 miles. Keep an eye on your engine oil consumption. If there is a generic problem, PCNA needs to hear from all those who are seeing it.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Panamera 4S