Panamera 2010-Current

"electric parking brake in service mode" on after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 03:00 AM
gr8vision
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "electric parking brake in service mode" on after brake job

Had brakes changed on 2011 Panamera 4S by a professional mechanic who specializes in German cars. Used him before - no problems. Materials used - the official Porsche brake pads. Everything works great, except one problem that appeared after the brakes change: "electric parking brake in service mode" is on at all times. The mechanic tried to delete the message - doesn't help. He brake is of course not on - the car drivers and brakes no problem.

He followed the manual: "Electric parking brake tests on the brake test stand must only be performed with the ignition switched on and with the manual gearshift lever in neutral or the Porsche Doppelkupplung selector lever in position N. The vehicle switches automatically to brake test stand mode, in which the electric parking brake can be tested." Still, the electric parking error persists.

Does anyone know what could be the problem, and how to resolve it?
Old 10-25-2014, 10:12 AM
dnsacks
Track Day

no personal experience, but found these audi/vw/bentley (i.e. VAG) instructions via google which look promising == http://www.launchtech.co.uk/common-p.../VAG%20EPB.pdf
Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM
gr8vision
7th Gear

Originally Posted by dnsacks
no personal experience, but found these audi/vw/bentley (i.e. VAG) instructions via google which look promising == http://www.launchtech.co.uk/common-p.../VAG%20EPB.pdf
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing this.

Albeit, this guide is not for Panamera, but certainly, the VW/Audi procedure might be applicable.

Anyone else has any thoughts?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Bay 999
2nd Gear

Hello, have you fix the problem?
Now my porsche panamera got the same like your.
How can i remove the Electric parking brake in service mode
Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Kevin Le
2nd Gear

Default Epb in service mode

Originally Posted by gr8vision
Had brakes changed on 2011 Panamera 4S by a professional mechanic who specializes in German cars. Used him before - no problems. Materials used - the official Porsche brake pads. Everything works great, except one problem that appeared after the brakes change: "electric parking brake in service mode" is on at all times. The mechanic tried to delete the message - doesn't help. He brake is of course not on - the car drivers and brakes no problem.

He followed the manual: "Electric parking brake tests on the brake test stand must only be performed with the ignition switched on and with the manual gearshift lever in neutral or the Porsche Doppelkupplung selector lever in position N. The vehicle switches automatically to brake test stand mode, in which the electric parking brake can be tested." Still, the electric parking error persists.

I got same problem after I hooked the my own diagnosis tool in the car and play with it. Click in EPB and the like just came right up( ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE IN SERVICE MODE) and it bother me so bad when driving. ( fault electric brake/ electric brake in service mode). All u need to do is go to local auto shop which has new diagnosis machine and ask them to run the cablication ..... then the light will be cleared. That sh..t won't come on again.. I just got it done 30' ago at local shop where I go for oil change. Sadly thing that machine could Not program my panamera turbo suspension, I had to take to dealer and they charge me $522 for (programs suspension). I asked the dealer about that EPB. They said $590 to fix it. They need to adjust the brake whatever. I'm so happy that I didn't have to pay a $ for it. Don't let the dealer get your hard earn money. They all liars. For got to say my car is 2011 panamera turbo.
Hope this help ...
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM
Just A GTS
Intermediate

Anyone know exactly where this module is located? I just purchased a used replacement via Ebay and would like to do it myself but looked into it and cannot find any info online.

Should I do anything specific or just a quick plug and play (no calibration needed after or no taking out the negative battery terminal prior to doing the swap?).

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 PM
Pculvert
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brake module is located in rear right C pillar
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Vanquish11111
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Kevin Le
I got same problem after I hooked the my own diagnosis tool in the car and play with it. Click in EPB and the like just came right up( ELECTRIC PARKING BRAKE IN SERVICE MODE) and it bother me so bad when driving. ( fault electric brake/ electric brake in service mode). All u need to do is go to local auto shop which has new diagnosis machine and ask them to run the cablication ..... then the light will be cleared. That sh..t won't come on again.. I just got it done 30' ago at local shop where I go for oil change. Sadly thing that machine could Not program my panamera turbo suspension, I had to take to dealer and they charge me $522 for (programs suspension). I asked the dealer about that EPB. They said $590 to fix it. They need to adjust the brake whatever. I'm so happy that I didn't have to pay a $ for it. Don't let the dealer get your hard earn money. They all liars. For got to say my car is 2011 panamera turbo.
Hope this help ...
I got same problem with my Cayenne, how could you fix it with dealer and did not pay
Old 02-25-2020, 10:51 PM
CAPPipe
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Vanquish11111
I got same problem with my Cayenne, how could you fix it with dealer and did not pay
Did anyone find a final resolution for this? I adjusted my parking brake into tolerances and all tests are Ok but the parking brake is still in service mode. I can stop the alerts by clearing all DTC's but as soon as I scan the car they show up again.

P.S. I am new to Rennlist. How do I make a new post?
Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Parking Brake 101

The electric parking brake on a Porsche does not use the pad and calipers to lock the brake. Instead it uses shoes which are inside the hub of the rear rotors. When you change the rear rotors the gap between the shoes and the Roto hub may change. If it senses the gap has changed, the module goes into service mode as you have experienced. To clear this the parking bakes must be calibrated. In order to calibrate it your bakes must meet two conditions. One the gap needs to be between 1.9 and 2.1 mm. You remove one wheel but bolt to adjust brake which gives you access to the adjuster. The PWIS has a basic measurement routine which checks the gap. Two, the grind in condition must me set as complete. If you changed the rotors you will have to grind in the parking brake This is also a special routine which requires the PIWIS and 60 meters of closed or quiet road. The routine requires you to drive the car between 6 and 12 mph while it lightly applies the parking brake. Then it tells you to stop. You must repeat this 8 times. After that the grind in condition is set and the calibration can happen. You then run the calibration routine on the PIWIS and since both conditions are met it will complete successfully and the light will go off. BTW the parking brake module is located on the right c pillar. The pictures are from the simulation mode of the PIWIS and show you what you need to do.

Last edited by rbrunelle; 02-26-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:02 PM
Deezflip
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrunelle
If you changed the rotors you will have to grind in the parking brake This is also a special routine which requires the PIWIS and 60 meters of closed or quiet road. The routine requires you to drive the car between 6 and 12 mph while it lightly applies the parking brake. Then it tells you to stop. You must repeat this 8 times. After that the grind in condition is set and the calibration can happen. You then run the calibration routine on the PIWIS and since both conditions are met it will complete successfully and the light will go off. BTW the parking brake module is located on the right c pillar. The pictures are from the simulation mode of the PIWIS and show you what you need to do.
How do you lightly apply the parking brake? I believe all we have is a lever to engage it on and off....ah nevermind, the PIWIS applies the parking brake/grinding.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:54 PM
Andy123456
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rbrunelle

The electric parking brake on a Porsche does not use the pad and calipers to lock the brake. Instead it uses shoes which are inside the hub of the rear rotors. When you change the rear rotors the gap between the shoes and the Roto hub may change. If it senses the gap has changed, the module goes into service mode as you have experienced. To clear this the parking bakes must be calibrated. In order to calibrate it your bakes must meet two conditions. One the gap needs to be between 1.9 and 2.1 mm. You remove one wheel but bolt to adjust brake which gives you access to the adjuster. The PWIS has a basic measurement routine which checks the gap. Two, the grind in condition must me set as complete. If you changed the rotors you will have to grind in the parking brake This is also a special routine which requires the PIWIS and 60 meters of closed or quiet road. The routine requires you to drive the car between 6 and 12 mph while it lightly applies the parking brake. Then it tells you to stop. You must repeat this 8 times. After that the grind in condition is set and the calibration can happen. You then run the calibration routine on the PIWIS and since both conditions are met it will complete successfully and the light will go off. BTW the parking brake module is located on the right c pillar. The pictures are from the simulation mode of the PIWIS and show you what you need to do.

That's a great procedures description.

However, I cannot perform any of these as the message keep promoting is "Parking Brake in Service Mode" and when I try to run any of these, it just returned with fail. There is fault in the system. No help even I earased the fault code as it comes back immediately.

Any idea how to fix this issue... Thanks.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:17 AM
rbrunelle
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 82 Posts

The parking brake in service mode is a setting in the PIWIS that retracts the pads in order to remove the rotors. If I remember correctly, all that is needed to take it out of service mode is to apply the parking brake using the button.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:33 PM
MSQ971
4th Gear

Wink Same "Electric parking brake" yellow warning.

Originally Posted by gr8vision

I don't know why the problem occurs, I just received my Panamera 5 days ago and the light appeared 2 days ago. I called the dealership (it's a CPO) and he said it's a known issue, drive it around for a bit and it'll go away". So I drive around for a bit and it didn't go away until last night when I put it into the garage and put it into "electric park" and a message came up to "apply pressure to the brakes", I did and BAM, problem resolved. I hope that helps as driving around with the yellow BRAKE warning is no fun.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: "electric parking brake in service mode" on after brake job