Panamera 2010-Current

Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:35 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Winter tires

Getting close for that time, there are 4 models and I would like to know if you had experienced any of them
Blizzak LM 25
Wintercontact TS830 P
Sottozero II
& Alpine PA4 N
Old 10-20-2014, 07:12 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am using the Sottozeros on my 997.2 and they are really non-obtrusive, good handling.

Only had occasion to use them once in light snow and they made it back to the top of my verrrry steep driveway.
Have used the Blizzaks on the wifes 3 series wagon and they were very good as well.

I'm one of these mind-numbed robots that must use N rated tires, so whatever Porsxhe recommends is what I would use.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sottozeroes on a 997 here, also. Quite happy w/ winter performance and so far pleased w/ wear endurance.
My favorite winter tires are Nokian WRs. Not N rated, but they've been on two Audis in the stable here in snowy, icy Central Oregon winters. They have clocked as many as 55k miles/set. A Porsche will eat them faster, of course.
Blizzaks are supreme snow/ice tire, but wear fast on dry pavement.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Sottozeroes on another set of rims I switch out around late November on my Panny 4S here in Colorado. This year, I will see how far I can go with the all season radials I put on the Panny to replace the summer performance tires. To many weather changes in the mountains for comfort with the Michelin PS2 that came with the car.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:24 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Sottozero II on my Panny Turbo last winter - they were amazing. We had way more snow than we've had in years and the car was terrific with those tires. Put my summer Michelins on in April and the winter tires go back on in a few weeks.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 AM
RCorsa
Pro

Received 436 Likes on 196 Posts

sZ on mine as well- unreal combination of performance and winter traction. Up to the mountains with snow no problem. May just become my year round tire if I'm honest. Anyone want 20 turbo wheels with p zeros as I suspect come spring they will stay in the garage.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:12 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you guys switch the tires only or have a completely other set of wheels with the winter tires on them?
Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Do you guys switch the tires only or have a completely other set of wheels with the winter tires on them?
I just switch the tires and use my same 20" Turbo II wheels.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:19 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've just started switching wheels instead of just tires.

Switching tires can be very time consuming. Locally, it's at least 2 hours, and has run as long as 4. If you don't drop off the car and drive something else that day, it's a big deal.

Switching wheels is much easier, and can even be done in your own garage, no need to visit the tire store. It's a lot more expensive, though, between the cost of the wheels and the cost of an extra set of TPMS sensors. Even if you're saving ~$200 / year in the cost to swap tires in winter and spring, and switching the wheels yourself at no cost, it can take 5 years or more to make up for the up-front costs.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:52 AM
Gravity
Instructor

You missed the nokians Finnish tires made for the cold. Panny 4s. Love them deep snow or glazed highways and no problems great braking abilities too. I have sport alpines on the gt3 and the nokians are more confidence inspiring in the snow. Don't get me wrong sport alpines are great tires but I love the panny on the nokians
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Well I did go with Conti and I am not impressed at all.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

two comments -

1. while a big fan of nokian WR-G2 tires on my other cars, don't believe they're available in panamera-compatible sizes. While I've heard the nokian hakapalitas (sp?) will fit a panamera, these are "hardcore" snow/winter tires and I'd be concerned with how they'd compromise ride/handling/etc. on cars that aren't being primarily driven on snowy roads (i.e. the'd be great up in the rockies, but less than ideal down in denver)

2. Now running the Pirelli SottoZero ii tires on our GTS' 20" rims, so far VERY impressed in the snow/ice and happy with their "manners" in the dry/cold too. Another vote for these as the winter tires of choice for our ride.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 PM
dnsacks
Track Day

double post deleted
Old 01-08-2015, 07:54 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have Sotto Zero II's on my 991 TTS Turbo S winter wheels and on my Pan GTS Turbo II wheels. No snow experience with them yet, but on the TTS they are sufficiently firm for cornering and are very compliant on the road in the frigid temperatures we have had here recently. Seems like the GTS needs a firmer sidewall, but that is only true in more aggressive cornering. The TTS wheels came from the factory with Pirelli's, so despite more fans of Alpins on the forums, Porsche must think them up to winter service. Could not get Alpins for my PGTS when I got it in Nov. Have used Blizzaks on my Audis in the past and they are very effective in even deep snow.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 AM
Zoomzoom8
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Running the PA4's on my GTS. Had Sottos the last 4 winters on my Audi. Different cars but my sense is that the Sottos are a little better in the bad winter conditions and the PA4's are quite a bit better otherwise. Both are great choices.

Quick Reply: Winter tires