Panamera 2010-Current

996 no mo...Hello Panamera e-hybrid

Old 10-03-2014, 10:20 AM
mickey6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 no mo...Hello Panamera e-hybrid

Hi "Panamerians"

Picked up a new to me (6000 odd miles on the odo) black with beige interior 2014 e-Hybrid. I thought I was going to miss my 996 cab but so far so good. I love the flexibility and it was a choice between the e-hybrid and the Tesla P85. In the end I just could not settle for the bland Tesla interior though the ride was sweet.

Quick questions on the e-Hybrid and I did try searching:

1. Completed Grid charging will sometimes show 16, 17 miles and sometimes 19 on the PCM. Its totally random on a given night. Any idea why?

2. Had the alarm go off in the middle of the day and got a call from the PVTS department leaving a vmail that theft of the vehicle has been reported. Called them back to tell them the car is parked in the garage and the alarm went off. Pretty sure no one touched the remote etc. Gremlins? I now don't lock the car at night. Once theft is reported, Car Connect app goes into "limp mode" and you can't do much with the app btw.

CEO drives a 2012 Cayenne and she drove the Panamera and I may end up with the Cayenne instead. Per the CEO she loved it.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

The range estimates depend on a variety of factors. Just like the fuel range estimate is based on the car's total MPG so far, the electric range estimate is based on the MPGe. Having the A/C on will also reduce the range estimate, since that also runs off the battery.

In my tests, I found that electric drive shut off when the battery hit 20%, every time. The car is preserving some power for power boosts and limited electric driving. Afterward, I've had it slowly drain to near zero, but during that time the car tends to alternate between gas and electric, depending on what you're doing.

Within that 80% capacity, I got 14 miles city, 21 highway, which corresponds to about 60 and 90 MPGe respectively.

I've heard that there's a problem with the interior motion sensors on some 2014 Panameras. They're planning on fixing it, but haven't yet. The work-around in the meantime is to turn the interior motion sensors off. I haven't had any issues with my 2015 PSeH.

I'd like to hear more about what you felt about the Tesla P85. I sometimes feel like I made the wrong decision. I feel a little bit like I can either get the fantastic gas mileage that drew me to the PSeH in e-Power mode, or I can get the high-performance feel of acceleration in Sports+ mode, but I can't have both. I'm used to driving sports cars, and my wife's Cayman S is a lot more fun than the PSeH if I'm using e-Power mode.

Which has me thinking that at least with the P85, you're always running on electricity, even if you make demands on the car. I don't know what the P85 interior is like. I didn't test drive the P85 because I wanted more range and I was leery of reliability. Edmunds has had serious problems with their P85, Tesla had to replace the powertrain twice in 20,000 miles.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:59 AM
mickey6
Instructor

Thanks Gus. I also noticed last night the Panamera in electric mode with the battery depleted. I guess there is some reserve left for the kind of stuff you mentioned.

For now I am not locking the car while in the garage and will talk to the Porsche service advisor and I am guessing they have heard of this issue.

Regarding regrets, we can't have it all can we? I could have bought either but I just could not settle for the interior which for me was bleckh. I was also betting that I would suffer from range anxiety even though we have the Cayenne for long trips but now we have a choice between the Cayenne and the Panamera.

Furthermore I do not know how successful people are fiddling with the Tesla controls while driving without looking at the screen. Want to open the sunroof? I do not feel you can do it without looking at the screen unless there is some shortcut. Tesla's interior fit and finish does NOT represent a $100K car. If the CEO of the house does not approve, I don't have much left to argue. Have fun with what you have. This is not our last cars!
Old 10-07-2014, 10:03 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not usually a big fan of avatars, but I like yours, mickey6
Old 10-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Robotpedlr
Instructor

Originally Posted by apias
I'm not usually a big fan of avatars, but I like yours, mickey6
What if that is really just his picture? Lol
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM
mickey6
Instructor

My resemblance to the avatar is surprising. This is the look I give to people while driving.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:52 PM
apias
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
What if that is really just his picture? Lol
Originally Posted by mickey6
My resemblance to the avatar is surprising. This is the look I give to people while driving.
In a few years, we'll all look like that.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM
mickey6
Instructor

Attached is the customary "picture" of the Panny recently washed. I got the paints painted black but may revert back to the regular color in Summers.

Last edited by mickey6; 10-21-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
GarrettP1
7th Gear

You'll also get the highest charge with your car at 69-70 degrees F. Ambient temperature has a large effect on charging these batteries.
Besides my Panamera e-hybrid I have a Nissan Leaf as well. Charging it in the climate controlled garage makes a big difference.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

The Panamera S e Hybrid does its own temperature control while charging. For example, in hot weather I've had it use the radiator and fan to cool off the battery while charging. I'm less certain about heating, since that's not so obvious, and it hasn't been that cold until recently.

I understand the Leaf doesn't do that, which seems like a serious omission, but I guess they were trying to keep costs down.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM
mickey6
Instructor

Noticed that too specially today. Getting colder and the range has dropped to about 15-16 miles in stop and go. The garage's temp is possibly in the high 60s to 70 range and I do hear the fan come on while charging.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:02 PM
GarrettP1
7th Gear

The Panamera does some of it's own cooling with a fan system, but the effect is limited by the ambient temperature.

Charge it at 70 degrees and compare it to 80 or above. There's a significant difference.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:33 PM
mcacciola
4th Gear

hi all;
I just got my e-hybrid 2 months ago and I LOVE it ! I also have a '02 C4C and even though there are two different monsters the Panamera does give me smiles every day. So I'm very pleased with the decision made for the right 4 door sedan. BTW I totally agree with the comparison with the tesla quality and its high price.
Anyhow.. question here.

I live in Miami where 90' is the normal almost all year long....and even though my garage has a small vent for AC is still very hot and the car does turn on the fan every night for the 7-8 hours changing (im planning to install the quick 220V charger soon)

I'm sure Porsche engineers took this into account, but my question is...may be silly... does this fan "extra" usage would take a toll on its lifetime durability?

happy driving guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 no mo...Hello Panamera e-hybrid