Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Entatlrg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.

Exhaust Sound
With the GTS when the Sports Exhaust isn't on does it sound more normal like a regular motor? That's why I didn't get the GTS last time, I have to take clients out occasionally and need a car that's reasonably low key when it needs to be.

Ride Difference
Does the GTS have a stiffer ride than the 4S in normal settings? Or can they be adjusted to ride the same?

Turbo-lag
Am I correct on this assumption ... some claim turbo lag is a thing of the past in late-model performance cars but if I had to say one thing about my last Panamera 4S with the six-cylinder twin turbo motor I did notice some hesitation / lag. When you step on the gas it takes a moment before you feel that thrust of acceleration and sometimes by the time the acceleration is there it's time to slow down again. I own a Cayenne S with the eight cylinder motor the power is always there when you step on the gas it seems...

Such a tough decision, thanks for any input.

Last edited by Entatlrg; 09-24-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM
MOCGator
1st Gear

I just ordered a 2015 S and there is a tiny bit of turbo lag. Waaaaaaay less than on other turbos I've driven. Not sure you would really notice it unless you were drag racing.

The sport exhaust gives me a headache. Gurgles a lot. Sounds cool... but every day not so much.

I don't think there is any ride difference. Same suspension choices. GTS has a bigger engine and other options such as Chrono standard.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:19 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Entatlrg

Turbo-lag
Am I correct on this assumption ... some claim turbo lag is a thing of the past in late-model performance cars but if I had to say one thing about my last Panamera 4S with the six-cylinder twin turbo motor I did notice some hesitation / lag. When you step on the gas it takes a moment before you feel that thrust of acceleration and sometimes by the time the acceleration is there it's time to slow down again. I own a Cayenne S with the eight cylinder motor the power is always there when you step on the gas it seems...

Such a tough decision, thanks for any input.
Your P4S didn't have a turbo. The only Panamera with a turbo was....the TURBO.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
Your P4S didn't have a turbo. The only Panamera with a turbo was....the TURBO.
If it was a 2014 or 2015 Panamera S or 4S it was a tt v6 motor...
Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Driving a V8 4S for the last 20'000 miles, I would NOT hesitate a single second : GTS
(If Porsche would offer me a free brand new v6tt 4S with the same options against mine, ii would simply refuse.)
For me, the new 4S is a Peterbilt with a well tuned Harley Davinson engine.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:44 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

It really depends what you want out of your car. If you want a soft comfortable car to drive to and from work and to putz around town, then get the 4S. The GTS, however, just feels different. The shifts seem quicker, the ride is a bit firmer, the engine growl is intoxicating. For me it's no contest, GTS hands down if money isn't the issue.

Trust me, I say this from experience. I recently turned in my GTS and in its place got an S bc I wanted a cheaper lease payment. It is shocking how different the driving experience is bt the two, night and day. I really miss that GTS, not that the S is bad by any means, but the GTS was vastly better. However, it's all just personal preference at the end of the day!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:28 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I went from a 2010 P4S to a 2013 PGTS. Both are naturally aspirated V-8's, with only a 30 hp difference. (The only significant difference between my GTS and the 14/15 model is the 10 hp bump.) But the overall feel of the two cars is significantly different. The GTS handles better, sounds better (with PSE on) and just feels better on the road. With PSE off, I don't notice any difference in sound between it and the 4S.

My vote should be obvious!

DMoore
'13 Panamera GTS
'13 991S ('15 991GTS on order for Jan. delivery)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Just drove the new Pano GTS at the Porsche Road Show @ Fontana Speedway CA. What an awesome car! no body lean thru turns, good ride quality, plenty of power!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Panaseeya
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Just drove the new Pano GTS at the Porsche Road Show @ Fontana Speedway CA. What an awesome car! no body lean thru turns, good ride quality, plenty of power!
Thank you so much! Due to your post I checked on my local Porsche Road Show and found that it's tomorrow! So I'll compare the new GTS to my '13 (after driving 2 hours to get to the track). It would be great to be able to take mine onto the track for comparison.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:08 AM
pedgett
AutoX

I have the 2014 GTS with PDCC

Yes you can turn off the exhaust and it sounds normal and reasonable for business

This motor is great, prefer over the V6 Turbo

The GTS is my wife's daily driver, it is a true sports car that can also be used to haul kids and take out clients.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:43 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Spent about 600-800 miles in identically equipped (same suspension options, wheel sizes, and even same Michelin tires) 4S and GTS when both were V8s. Felt the GTS not only handled better, but rode better, too. It also felt 6-12 inches narrower for some reason, and that was because you needed 6-12 inches less lane through a tight bend at speed—the GTS took the already great 4S and put it into another dimension, more like a modern 928 or 550 Maranello. It's that kind of good, and the suspension tuning clearly benefitted from lessons learned since the 4S was introduced. So, even when you ticked all the same boxes, the GTS was both sharper and a bit more refined, too. Rare combo.

Recently drove the new 4S with the twin-turbo V6 and it's actually (probably) a better car for more of its buyers, with nicer down-low torque and plenty of refinement. Not quite as sonorous as the V8, but that's just one more reason to go GTS now. So my vote is GTS.

YMMV, and you really can't go wrong...

pete
Old 11-23-2014, 01:59 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Biggest difference? What some have called "turbo lag" with the twin-turbo V6 in the S seemed to me to be a kind of "twitchiness" in the throttle compared to the GTS. Power delivery in the GTS is absolutely linear and far more enjoyable to me, but you'd want to try both and see which one you prefer. It's all so personal and subjective.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 PM
jwkchris
1st Gear

It is slightly louder than the new 4S in normal, but with the noise insulated glass, I only feel the rumble inside. One pet peeve is that the sport exhaust is on during the engine startup which is annoying in a small garage.

GTS feels stiffer, but after few thousand miles, I either got used to it, or the ride loosened up a bit.

As far as turbo-lag goes, the N/A V8 definitely responds to the throttle quicker, but first both engines will have to be in the right gear to overtake on the highway. The GTS revs louder so you do feel the speed which you might not want for clients. Also lower ride height means more road noise.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my GTS, but as a daily driver, it is not replacing my VW GTD. 4S is perfect for highway while GTS is better for wide sweeping curvy roads. Too wide for tight alpine roads in my opinion.

Last edited by jwkchris; 02-14-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-19-2015, 09:06 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Since GTS comes standard with air suspension I wouldn't worry about highway cruising; mine was perfect in normal mode; but switch to Sport or Sport Plus and this thing turns into an animal. With windows up the interior is very quiet in the GTS, don't worry. This is a no brainer-- if cross shopping 4S and GTS then absolutely get the GTS.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:32 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Absolutely

Originally Posted by disden
Since GTS comes standard with air suspension I wouldn't worry about highway cruising; mine was perfect in normal mode; but switch to Sport or Sport Plus and this thing turns into an animal. With windows up the interior is very quiet in the GTS, don't worry. This is a no brainer-- if cross shopping 4S and GTS then absolutely get the GTS.
The GTS is a very comfortable highway cruiser, even in Sport+ PASM and without dual pane glass. Much quieter than my A8 and the GTS tracks much better on the highway. The GTS is probably the most under-appreciated big sedan available. it is a bit more money than the BMW 7 Series or A8 4.0, although about the same as an S550. None of those three can deliver the handling experience of the GTS. Probably holds it value better than the other three as well.

Quick Reply: 2015 Panamera 4S or GTS, a few pre-purchase questions.