Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Advice, ordering 2015 Panamera 4S to replace my totaled Panamera ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 03:33 AM
Entatlrg
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice, ordering 2015 Panamera 4S to replace my totaled Panamera ...

I'd like to get some input. I'm trying to order another Panamera and so far it hasn't gone so well with the dealer.

My last few years history with this dealer - (I'm a Porsche enthusiast and buy a lot of cars).

- purchased 2013 Cayenne S off the lot, $100,000 - received a 2% discount.

- purchased 2014 Panamera 4S off the lot, $141,000, received a 4% discount

- custom ordered 2014 911 Carrera S, $150,000 car with options, was told I got a 6% discount but doing the math it was 5%.

At the beginning of summer this year I was driving in Central Ontario about 11 PM at night and out of no where a deer ran out from the ditch directly into my Panamera. Car was totaled, my wife was okay, I didn't fare so well, broke my wrist into 12 pieces as well as the two bones in my forearm, had surgery' plate and screws put in etc.

We think the airbag probably broke my arm. Not a fun summer with surgeries and my arm in a sling but it could've been worse and these things happen.

Got through the surgery and arguing with the insurance company to get a reasonable settlement but when I went to my Porsche dealer to order my replacement car it didn't go so well.

I also had interest in trading my 2013 Cayenne in and ordering the new 2015 Cayenne. The dealer was aware of this, I told him if things went well we could possibly do two sales that day ...

We spent a lot of time there configuring the Panamera. I assumed I would get the same discount as last time but to my surprise after spending hours there the general sales manager basically said the discount wouldn't be the same as before and I have to pay more. No reason given other then they don't like to discount that much.

Surprised us and we felt insulted. It's not the money it's the fact I'm back in negotiation mode to replace the car I just bought seven months ago. In my opinion that's uncalled for. I guess the idea is greed, they know I want the car so why not try and get as much money as they can. Welcome to the real world I know, but it's b*ll****.

We never even got to discussing the Cayenne. instead we spent time quibbling over a few thousand dollars where they could've sold me two vehicles.

I didn't order the Panamera as a result and left kind of angry. They've phoned me wanting me to come back and work things out, but so far I declined.

Certainly wasn't the kind of service I was expecting from a Porsche dealership, nothing like another hassle when you're just trying to replace a car that you just totaled. We've had enough already then to have to sit and start negotiating all over again.

Not sure what to do, the other nearby Porsche dealership hasn't treated some people I know so well either.

Almost thought of changing brands but I love Porsche and don't want to let a poor dealership stand in the way. Yet it's the principle, I don't want to pay the price. I almost feel like writing Porsche head office and asking if they think this is the right way to treat a loyal customer.

Porsche dealers in Germany, Europe and USA seem more well run and organized, the level of service you'd expect from a premium brand. We don't have the same experience here.

Anyway it's been a frustrating ordeal so I thought I come here and vent and maybe get some advice. I should probably just go buy the car, pay the price and get it over with, but then they win and I loose ... as so often goes when buying cars.

My only question is this. In Ontario Canada what is a reasonable discount to ask for for repeat buyers?
Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Very sorry to hear about your arm injury. That sounds terrible.

From what I've read on Planet 9, car negotiations in Canada are rough. I don't know why particularly, but here in the US, a dealership wouldn't dream of offending a repeat customer this way.

In the US, the answer would be look to another dealership. If the locals aren't friendly, consider looking long distance. When looking at a $140k-ish expenditure, a few hundred dollars in travel expenses to pick the car up can make a lot of sense if you can come to an agreement over the phone.

For specific negotiating advice, ask around on several Porsche related forums. Don't restrict yourself to Panamera boards just because you're ordering a Panamera. I'm sure 911 negotiating advice is just as applicable. Everything I've learned or heard personally doesn't really apply since I'm in the US, where 10% discounts are entirely possible.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 PM
TGED
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in Ontario is your dealer? GTA?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:28 AM
clorigo
Instructor

Really sorry to hear that. I've had a few bad experiences with US dealerships, but there is always another not too far away. Its rough on the sales side it seems.

I am glad you are pulling through -- and also for me its nice to hear you're wanting to purchase another Panamera. I'm new to the Panamera club - just traded my 2014 Cayman S for one. (Was shopping for a 997tt, but really fell in love with the one I have) --

Anyway if for some reason you'd want to buy in the US I can say there are a few good ones in FL. One is a sponsor of this board. (I understand "importing" into Canada can be expensive though :/)
Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 AM
Entatlrg
Track Day

Thanks for the comments.

They agreed to the same discount as last time ... such a hassle ... love the brand but not the dealerships so much.

Now I'm delaying the purchase that much more because I can't decide between getting another4S or going for the GTS.

Last edited by Entatlrg; 09-24-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Advice, ordering 2015 Panamera 4S to replace my totaled Panamera ...