Neo Corricon
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Neo Corricon
It charges the battery super fast (20-30 miles) but puts a greater load on the engine (therefore lowering your MPG?) so you can use the battery later. Is this not a net sum gain of less than zero?
I've done extensive testing on this with highway driving. It increased gas consumption by 50%, but stored 50% of the distance in battery power. In my test I started at 20% battery, charged up to 100%, and then ran on electric power back down to 20%. It was pretty much identical to running in hybrid mode over the same distance. Total gas mileage was 34 MPG.

Which brings me to another point - I'm surprised you're seeing low MPG with highway driving. I very consistently get 35 MPG at 60 MPH, maybe 33 at 70 MPH. I did a 350 mile trip recently which used 10 gallons.

Anyway the electric drive has some advantages in town over gas. So if you have a long trip, it can make sense to charge the battery from the gas engine on the highway, and use that electric power when you're back on city streets.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
Presently I'm leaning more toward the Tesla. I was really impressed by the instant torque; Way more responsive than even the big MB 6.2l normally aspirated motor in my old C63. The instant torque hit makes the admittedly pretty fast car seem even faster than it really is in real world driving.

The very intuitive touch screen interface was terrific. It makes the German infotainment systems seem archaic and very clunky. My wife finds the sea of buttons in my Porsche and Audi aesthetically displeasing, but loved the Tesla screen. The interior materials weren't up to the Audi A/S8 or Mercedes S class standard but pretty close to Porsche (at least without 15k in interior upgrades options at Porsche pricing.). I would still have to keep an internal combustion car anyway for long trips, so I think I can get by without the essentially infinite range of a hybrid. Lastly just the novelty of the experience is pretty cool.

It's an odd world where the Porsche is the more practical choice and the American competition produces more excitement in me. Not a situation I'd ever imagined anyway.

The final kicker is that I live in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. For $100, Tesla will send a service van to my door instead of me having to get the car to Tulsa or Dallas. After shipping Ferrari's to Dallas and trying to figure out when I can get a Porsche to Tulsa, this is almost enough to make the sale. I'll try to test drive the e-Hybrid before I put down my deposit on a Tesla, but I suspect that Tesla's going to be my next fun car.
Wow.

Tesla's build quality is no where near Porsche's. The Tesla's pancake griddle display on the dash is probably the most unattractive thing I've seen this side of a Pontiac Aztek's exterior. The rest of the interior is not Tier 1 grade for a $50k car, much less for a $100k car. The fit and finish of a Tesla is simply not there yet, although I suspect in time it will be.

I've ridden in a Tesla. The acceleration is impressive, but it leaves me cold. A hair dryer makes more noise, which is part of the enjoyment. If I was chasing mileage, I'd take a hard look at a hybrid. But Tesla? Not a chance.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I actually kind of like the near-silence when accelerating on electric. I don't need a noisemaker to tell me when I'm accelerating hard. Of course, in my PSeH "electric" and "hard acceleration" don't happen together.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:54 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Does anyone know why the E-Hybrids do not qualify for the CA HOV stickers? I'm interested in the Cayenne E-Hybrid, but this was the only place I found any info.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by asfw
The Panamera e-hybrid does NOT qualify for the California HOV green sticker. This is what I was told by a PCNA staff during a test drive. The reason was vague, something with the design of the fuel tank.

A quick check on the web site (http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm) confirms this. No Porsche is listed.

Also, the limited 40k green stickers have all been issued as of May 9, 2014. No more plug-in hybrid will get a new green sticker.

White stickers are the way to go, and Tesla Model S is the only performance sedan that qualifies at the moment.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera e-hybrid