Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:07 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Again, Panamera quite calm topic, I’m 6’000 miles away.
And lucky to be on a beautiful track day at the Paul Ricard, in Le Castellet, South of France, a day very well organized by “People Organisation”.
The Paul Ricard track offer the nicest infrastructure of all the tracks that I have visited, just a dream place for car lovers.
And, in my feeling, the second to the best track of all, i.e.: Spa Francorchamps.

For the ones that want to visit the “best tracks” of Europe, I would recommend : Spa, Paul Ricard, and Monza !
And, ..avoid "the Ring", this is only hype, or only good to buy a sticker there, and put it to you car ! The infrastructure is the worse of all, the security is the worse of all, 150 curves with many looking the same as the others, and 50% of them being blind (I never seen any flag men there !) and, beside this panorama, ..in any of these blind curves, you could suddenly find on the front of you, things like a tourist bus, or a VW campers, a moppet, and etc..

Back to the Paul Ricard, where, that day, when cold and foggy in many European places, we were under the sun, with a “t-shirt temperature”. Yes, Le Castellet is part of the beautiful Côte d’Azur.

Two groups on this day, with sessions of 30 minutes each and a pause, for a great lunch in a real nice restaurant over the pits. Really well done People Organisation, thanks.

The track is long (about 5.8km, or about 3.6 miles), very technical, and could be quite fast. The asphalt is a super quality. The walls are far away, all is more than great. Frankly, I recommend this place big time.

The top, (I never had this experiment in any of my previous track days), People Organisation announced to us that for the last sessions, the Chicane that is always present in the middle of the Mistral Straight, will be removed ! So, we had the full Mistral Straight for us, which is 1’800 meters long (about 1.2 miles !!).
A fabulous real Motorsport experience, i.e.: to be able to have the needle of the tach at more than 260km/h (near 170mph) !

Well, I took this photo, ..a good little while before the braking point, (sure you will understand !!!) ..as, after the Mistral straight, you enter on “Signes curve”, which is a very fast right, that you take at speed over 100mph.

In the “other group”, we were lucky to be able to see one of the most fabulous Porsche of all time (a “double flat 6”), in action :
one 917-10, and, to be more accurate, the chassis #001
From there, I cannot resist to present you some photos of this car, which is a pure dream Porsche :

On the Morning, the 917 was driven by Mr. Jürgen Barth, with the new owner as passenger.

Funny to note that a friend of Mr. Barth asked him "How does it feel ?", he answered : "..Like an old 911 with snow tires !"

Then, during the afternoon, we were able see that Mr. Barth was looking at his helmet, going on track, ..without him !

This was a car made at a time Porsche was doing real ones, with real engines, having the guts to "glue" two FLAT 6 together,
..NOT like going to Le Mans with a 4 cylinder, or like today, cutting 2 cylinders off a fantastic V8 ! (..to stay in the topic, (!!) ..i.e.: on the Panamera engine !)
Common Porsche, show up again that your engines designer boys have *****, like their predecessor had, not green peas ! See :

Blue sky, palm trees, superb track, great cars...

Yes, a real dream day !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:19 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..and back, on the road again with the Panamera in California.
This time, San Francisco to La Jolla, i.e.: 520 miles one freeway trip, ..and using ONLY 3/4 of the tank !!!
Totally amazing, this V8 is a FABULOUS engine. I just cannot think how dumb the Porsche "marketing" people are, to have suppressed this engine out of the product line.
Yes, just no ***** at all, ..only green peas!

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-27-2014 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:36 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

..Oups : cruising around the place here in SoCal, just got "PASM error", as well as "AutoStop function disabled", that by the way was allways set to be Off.
Well, will see tomorrow if this remains on ..or not ! **
A real super great car, but no doubt : full waranty or CPO is in my feeling, ..more than a MUST ! (If you did not read in the above, my flatbed call counter is already at 2 !)

PS : One day later, back to the Bay area, 550 miles later, and : "false alert", the problem did not (yet) come back !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-29-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I’m again 6’000 miles away, and btw, just before my departure, had again a “PASM failure” message, together with a “Check Engine Light” while driving around town.
Then, ..it disappear, so it seems that one of these days, the problem wll come again.
Again, a brilliant car, but, without CPO, it could be a VERY expansive one to maintain!

While traveling (12 hours !) I had some good time to read the last Panorama (Jan 15), that by the way was a good magazine, but still becomes better and better every month, Kudos to Mr. Stout and to his team.
About the Panamera, in the page 40, I found some interesting info:
The “16” will be based on a new platform, called “MSB”. Some weight saving, i.e.: thanks to the use of more aluminum ..will enable to carry some more “gadgets”, without making it heavier.
I read that front and rear would be shorter, but as the car should have a longer wheelbase, the overall length should remain the same.
I tried to “”observe” such effect, but frankly, my tentative is not very successful in such observations !
(Just to remember : in the CAFÉ taxes scheme, the surface of the rectangle of wheel base/width plays a role, and the largest the surface is, the less the taxes are !!!)

See :

At least, I would say that the shape of the butt, seems to go into a great evolution, it "slim faster", and to my eyes it gets more into the (beautiful) lines of the new 911. A great point.
We can also observe that a kind of "pano roof", à la 911 seems to be tested too ! Definitively a spy shoot, ..but a car shows attitude !

Where it becomes VERY interesting : reading that maybe a “manual transmission will be retained. Also, a brand NEW V8 (or flat 8 ??) could be present, and this, in NA and turbo models !
The R&D chief, Mr. Wolfgang Hatz seem to have said “A high revving NA engine is still something very emotional, most likely we will have both options” !!!

Let’s wait and see…
Ah, I can add, that this new MSB plaform has been designed with the possibility to change easily the wheelbase, so, in my opinion, I'm ready to take bets, that a two doors Pan has great chance to follow !
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

With my Panamera far away, again, some “off topic” talks and photos..

A more than great experience to do (it was my first time) : The Monte Carlo Rally, Historic version, or, a “regulation” race (TSD, Time Speed and Distance).
At the first glance, you may laugh, but, I would say, just try, and you will “see” that it is a LOT harder than few track days !
This is five very hard days of race, and, if we include our return home after the race, we did more than 2’000 miles, including many on very small roads, where, ..you better stay on “track” !
I would like to add that, we saw no American team on this race, so, ..the challenge would be fabulous, I know it is far away, but, I can tell you, it was a fabulous experience.
Here are some photos:

The first car that left Torino (our starting city, but you have choice over many).
Note that from this point, to be right on time, ..we did 22 hours of driving, before arriving to Monte Carlo !
(I should specify : 22 hours, non stop, for the first stage, Torino to Monte Carlo, day one !! Yes, not exactly the shortest itinerary.)

..And, a view "from the other side" : later, our turn ! (yes, I was in the “navigator” seat !), departure in two secs, everything ready, just the time for a quick shot :

Here is a departure of a “Regulation stage”, we had many of these, (about 12 to 40 miles long), where you have to stay in a pre-establish speed average (in the range of 28 to 32 miles per hour). At some places, it is “easy”, but, on very narrow roads, very curvy, and full of snow, even with great spikes on snow tires, ..it could be extremely difficult.

You better have a very good road book, because, arriving on a hair pin on such a road, ..could be more than challenging ! And just to remember, during the day, it is tough, but on the middle of the night, ..it is even more “different” !

Hello Jean, such a great honor for us, to have you knocking at our window to say hello to us !
..It is true, we were a bit crazy, in our 1'300 pounds convertible car, with no roll bar, ..but, we did it.
Yes, Jean is a super talented Rally (winner on the “real” Monte Carlo), but also Le Mans driver (2x 4th, 1x 5th), and such a great human person. Un très grand Monsieur, Mr. Ragnotti.

After almost 2’000 miles of race, going under the “arch” in Monaco is a kind of experience !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 04-13-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:34 AM
stpatsday
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

Great post! Pics are fantastic. Thank you
Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Thanks a lot Stpatsday,
Ok, just a few more:

Another view of a start in a “regulation stage”, with snow. As you can see, the average to keep, under these “Exceptional Circumstances” was for us (high average) 45 km/h ..or about 28 mph.
At the first glance, it look to be very easy, but on very narrow roads, with snows, hairpins and etc.., I can tell you that it is not so easy !
Btw, you can see on the dashboard the “Dual 160” GPS & Glonass, giving 10 points per second to the iPad, to position us very accurately on permanent maps, with a “WiFi only” pad, i.e.: not being on line at all !

A lot of Mini’s, Cooper S, Mark I, and Mark II’s. These are now collectors, ..but are very strong actors in this race (Btw, ..this was my very first car, ..and my only FWD !, so I do remember of it quite well !) :

Here is a photo of the arrival of the last day in Monaco, at around 3 AM ! (Returning from the famous "col du Turini")
A lot of supporters, very warm reception, just great people all around : thanks a lot to all.

My words : It would be GREAT to have an American team to participate to this race. And for sure, a Porsche, 356, 912, 911, 924.. would be just a great car. Many were presents
Last year, I heard that even a 904 GTS did it !!
(This year, the ACM was accepting cars up to the mfy 1979.)

And, let’s try to be a better “Rennlister” :
Many great Porsche present for the event :

Now, with the above photos, I will close this “off the topic” post, ..and go back to Panamera.
Sorry for that !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-03-2015 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:20 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Now that we have some more leaks, I tried another profile comp, with the "3" versions :
(..if it is real true that the overall length remain the same !)

Why the "footprint" of cars tend to grow that much ?

See here :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy
Corporate Average Fuel Economy ..for: CAFE (taxes)

or, short extract (from wikipedia) :

Starting in 2011 the CAFE standards are newly expressed as mathematical functions depending on vehicle "footprint", a measure of vehicle size determined by multiplying the vehicle’s wheelbase by its average track width. A complicated 2011 mathematical formula was replaced starting in 2012 with a simpler inverse-linear formula with cut-off values. [3] CAFE footprint requirements are set up such that a vehicle with a larger footprint has a lower fuel economy requirement than a vehicle with a smaller footprint. For example, the 2012 Honda Fit with a footprint of 40 sq ft (3.7 m2) must achieve fuel economy (as measured for CAFE) of 36 miles per US gallon (6.5 l/100 km), equivalent to a published fuel economy of 27 miles per US gallon (8.7 l/100 km), while a Ford F-150 with its footprint of 65–75 sq ft (6.0–7.0 m2) must achieve CAFE fuel economy of 22 miles per US gallon (11 l/100 km), i.e., 17 miles per US gallon (14 l/100 km) published.

Any comments ???

..May be, the end of the Smart (Micro Compact Car) in the USA !
et : Viva el F-150.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 03-03-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:20 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

First of all, I should say that I’m very impressed by the 25’000 view on the is topic.
Thanks to all of you for your visits here.

What’s new ?
Not that much.. except that I’m now approaching 25’000 miles, (..or about “one view per mile” !!!)
And I’m still thinking that this car is the best car that I did ever own.
I have no regrets to have traded in my last 911 (a 2002 996 C4 cab) that I had for about 11 years, against this Panamera.

It is true that I still have no single sign of love about PDK, and still think that I would have much preferred for my “road” car, to have a MANUAL gearbox.
Sure, I do not think I would have been so happy to change my last 911 against this Panamera, ..without the “little toy”, that I bought after the Panamera, i.e.: an old 2001 Boxster S, that let me still have a manual gearbox, and (very important for me) a roof that is almost always in his “off” position.

I do not use it a “lot”, ..but, I use it intensely !
Looking at my log, one third (1/3) of the miles of this Boxster, since I bought it, are on track (the closests of my CA location, i.e.: Sonoma Raceway and Laguna Seca).
I’m continuing the “mods” on this car, and the next are going to be, now that I have a BK bar installed the way I wanted (to keep the wind stoppers and, even more important, to keep the padding of the OEM hoop bar, as without that, I would think that driving the car with no helmet would be quite dangerous !), I will go for “R” compound tires, and to be (M96) safe, I will change my sump oil pan with one with an extension and a good oil baffle, as I think, that tracking a M96 with “R” tires and the original oil pan baffle ..is playing a game, ..that could be quite expensive. After a good analysis of the market choice, I’m ready to go with the Tarett Engineering solution, as I like the way their “X51” style baffle is done (stainless steel “automatic doors”) to replace the M96 “thin rubber” doors (of the OEM oil pan baffle), that should have quite a bad look (and very little efficiency) down there, ..when the oil is on a good track oil temperature !!
Well, this is what is currently cooking on the “toy side” !

A photo of the “little toy” at Sonoma Raceway, last month :

To be back on the topic,
OK, in a perfect World, my Boxster should be PDK and my Panamera should be manual ! ..But, today, it is the opposite !

May be, in the future, ..I will be able to change my Panamera against a manual one, ..and get one of these coming Boxster Spyder (!!! With PDK !!! ) ????? as a new track toy ! Will see..

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-03-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Well, just got again CEL on, this together with an intermittent “Engine with limited power” message, and this time CEL did not “reset” after few turn on.
So time to visit dealer again.
(Great big time (again) ..to be under CPO program !)

And, after about 25’000 miles the front Pzero’s arrived at the end of life.
I would say, not to bad for tires that are known to have rubber that seems to prefer to stay with the asphalt, comparing to others that ..stick to the wheels !
Or, time to say “New *****”, ..like they said on tennis courts !
Sure, I will stick to the same, (N specified), and will do that at my favorite dealer.

The bad news : my plan was to pay a visit to the Tudor Championship in Laguna Seca, but instead of doing the ride to Monterey with the Panamera, it was with a courtesy car, ..an oil burner!
I never drove a Pepper oil burner for few hundred miles, and here, I should say that the engine is just incredible. Compared to our CS, I would say that the brain relation between the right foot and the butt is not that bad. Sure, with the red line at 4’500, the sweet spot is short (between 2500 and 4000 !!), but, ..the angle is large on the gauge !!! J
Hopefully, with the equipped gearbox, ..you can pass on this area 8 times !
I also like a lot the handling, the car feels very good. The brake are very good too.
The thing that is “no good” in my opinion, is the suspension. It feels like a truck !
I get the feeling that if you drive over a cigarette butt, ..you feel it !
The suspension just looks the same as the one of a Touareg V6 (we have one). In French slang, we would call that a "tape-cul" !
I still cannot believe that people are not ALLWAYS ordering air suspension ! To my opinion, it changes the comfort of the ride from “truck” to a “comfy car”.
Ah, another strange thing : when you ride on concrete road surface, that has “streaks” (water protection, I guess), then the handling become simply awful. The tires are brand new Michelin, multi season, ?? I have no idea if the tires are the source of this, but, IMO, this is very close to “dangerous” !

This being said, ..a bit off topic !!, here are some Fresh from the first of May, Laguna Seca “911 Tudor Championship” photos, to sweeten a bit the message :
(Or it may mean that the 911 is still present in my brain !)

911 on the go, under the arch middle of the straight, just after the starting line, the first session is now ON

911 arriving on Turn #5, taken from the Porschplatz, thank you PCA, a great place to be.

911 in the middle of Turn #5, also taken from the Porschplatz, thank you again PCA.

911 in the pitt lane, (turn #11 just on the back of 911) arriving on pitt

A lot of Porsche, even 3 ex. of a model that I did not know ! (under the working tent)

Intelligent Performance : We can really see that some people under the tent seems to think very hard ! (..and, Adidas in action.)

By the way, looking at a close up, the seating position on the GTLM ..is quite low !! (Here, Michael Christensen entering into Turn #5)

I suppose this is to have masses as low as possible !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-06-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:57 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I got my car back from the dealer, the reason of the "CEL" + "Engine with limited power" messages were because of a dead coil. One coil has been changed, and I'm back to all fine.
It took some time, as in the mean time, I changed the front tires, and got a pair of new "N1" PZero.
I was happy to return the C "Oil burner", after an experience of 500 miles with it !
My comment about these 500 miles : Engine is OK, but suspensions are in my opinion "just like a truck" !
After 110'000 miles on a Cayenne with air suspension, I just cannot understand how one can order such a car without it !
Old 05-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I've never minded a hard suspension. I've come to appreciate the ridiculous smoothness of my Panamera's ride in Comfort mode (and yes, I have an air suspension), but I'm still fine with the much, much harder suspension of my wife's Cayman S.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:11 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

This is very-very true, the Panamera comfort/smoothness in "normal" mode (i.e.: not "sport", neither "sport plus") is simply incredible. A REAL flying carpet. I cannot compare with my Boxster, ..as I have PSS9 on each corners, so, the Boxster suspension as as smooth as a piece of steel !
But, if I just found these days, that a CTT (air suspension), is a little bit better than the C "Oil Burner", but not that much. (Very far away from the Panamera comfy mode) ..I even get the feeling that the CTT could be stuck on "sport mode", as switching between Sport-Normal and Comfort lead to "no" changes !!
My first "negative" experience on air suspension.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-14-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Again, I’m a bit off topic !!
Just back from GVA, I was in the plane, when Porsche crossed the finish line to win and also take the second place at Le Mans this year.

Saturday, in the earlier hours of the race, I saw Loïc Duval on TV arriving at the Indianapolis curve, being too fast, when, it was true, that no flags of the “commissaires” were showing the slow zone.
He was too fast exiting the curve, to see a pack of slow cars, and was not able to make it through.
OK, lucky that his hit on the rails was not more dramatic. He was able (very hard to imagine that he made it !!) to move out of were he was, (in the grass, after hitting the rail quite hardly) and be able to drive his Audi back to the pits.
I’m sure that this event did play quite a drastic role for this Audi team.
I feel very sorry for Loïc Duval.
Remember, last year, that could have been his last race with his close friend Tom Kristensen (Tom retired few months after his second place, keeping the incredible record of 9 victories at Le Mans), team mate Loïc Duval had a VERY hard accident during the trial, were his Audi was totaled. Glad that this car is so well engineered and so well build, that Loïc Duval came out OK, but the doctors did not gave him the go for the race a week after such terrible hit.
(Two years ago, Tom won his 9th victory at Le Mans, with Loïc Duval and Allan McNish.)

OK, you can say : “How a Porsche guys can think and write such things ???”
Yes, I can, and yes, I can also write that I’m NOT a fan of the 919, but I do agree that it is a fabulous technology.
Yes, I was a big fan of the RS Spyder, IMO, one of the greatest of the latest Porsche.

For the road cars, after PDK (that in my view is great for track cars) where the driver do not change gears, but let a computer doing this task, we are now running into a next trend, ..where “the” computer, will not only change gears, ..but will also take care of the steering wheel.
At this time, are “we” going to buy a Porsche anymore, ..to let a computer drive it ???
Frankly, I have some doubts, as I could think that a Google Car could be good enough for a driver ..that is only a computer !

I’m starting to think that the next one I would love to buy, ..is an old 911 SWB, i.e.: 66 or 67.
The only problem : it looks like I’m not the only one with such envy, ..as the prices of these old 911’s has gone up like completely crazy these last 2 or 3 years !!
Yes, the demand for old 911 seems to be real strong.

Or, to end up my post back in our topic :
Yes, old Good 911’s SWB now cost more than a brand new Panamera 4S !
Finally, I’m not surprised at all, these prices may be logical, as, the best Porsche ..could well be the oldest ones !
And in my view, I also understand why the sales of the Panamera are dropping (-15% over the last 4 months) : Changing the FABULOUS N/A V8 Engine of the “best” model (imo, the 4S) into a V6T, just makes guys like me with a very firm “Upgrading ? NO WAY Jose !”
At this stage, I can only raise a question about the Panamera: Does the lost of these 15% in sales, ..are making a better profit at Porsche/VW than paying more taxes ..because of the V8 specs ?
I would really love to know the answer of this question.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 08-06-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:29 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

May be a “PS” to try to explain a bit more my gut feeling :

PS : I should add : What ‘s up, if “tomorrow” Ferrari would announce that the twelve cylinders will no longer be produced, and the next 458 Italia will be equipped with a V4 ?

Try to think about that !!!

What I perceive : these F (errari) guys have *****, and they DO well their job.
OK, they (F) have to pay more CaFe taxes, but, then what ? They raised the price of the cars, so the E/U do pay good part of these ..but, at least, for now, their cars do (FULLY) remain REAL (Sport) cars.

I really think that the Porsche management have no *****, only green peas !
Or, they are completely Driving Under the Influence ..of the VolksWagen people.

Would love to read your opinion. I.e.: Do I’m the only one to think this way, (if yes, it is time for me to shut), or what ????
Hope to read from you here.

Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !