Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !

Old 10-06-2016, 07:09 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Hello All,

From this bad experience, this morning, I did a quick check on our CTT (2011), in order to know if I could have also have this problem.

I think it is very interesting to know that it is a "piece of cake" to check if your V8 (Panamera or Cayenne) is equipped with the "faulty aluminum" bolt, or the good one in steel.

How to do that : simply open the oil filling cap, and check using a lamp (no mirror needed) on the sprocket side.
See the following photo (in the left, our CTT, taken with an iPhone through the oil filling hole, removing the cap), and next to it, a photo of an faulty aluminum bolt, that you can recognize, with its typical "bump" on the middle of the Torks :

Name:  Steel%20and%20aluminum%20bolts%20camshaft%20sprocket.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  108.3 KB

I hope this quick check could help to save your engine.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-07-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:25 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I stopped looking at used Panameras after learning about this issue. I still want a naturally aspirated GTS but it seems the year range when they are 'good' is very limited. I am not thrilled about the new all-turbo range, with turbos between the cylinder banks. That's just a ticking time bomb.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:15 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Well, .."the fear do not help against a danger !"
Frankly, as soon, as you know that, then:
1) it is very easy to see if your car has this potential danger or not. (See my post above)
2) if it has it, then, changing the aluminum bolts against steel one seems to be a pretty easy task.
I also understood that only the 2009, 2010 and 2011 can be concerned, so, I would suppose that GTS are all safe about this problem.
The real problem is not knowing it, and putting miles on a car that has these unfamous aluminum bolts, and let them fail !
After all of that, I still think that a Panamera with a V8 is the best car that we ever had.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-07-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:35 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

There is one question that I would be very curious to ask of of you :
In the know case of this problem (4 valves bent, bolts "lost" in the engine), is Porsche going to issue an engine change (the car is under full CPO), or shall I expect a dealer repair of my engine ?
Do you have heard about similar cases ?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:18 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

You should expect Porsche to replace the engine while the car is under "CPO."

That appears to be the practice they have been following for other owners with engine damage resulting from this issue under similar circumstances.
Old 10-07-2016, 02:22 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Thanks David.
I get the feeling that this is not the path that the dealer is trying to establish !
I'm very curious to know where the decision "center" is on such case, i.e.: service manager at dealer, "who" at PCNA ?
Is it a pure PCNA decision ? Or does PCNA depends on the dealer information v.s. the customer case, etc.. ?
I'm getting very worried about this.
(I can add that in this case, my car has always been maintained/serviced by the same dealer, including tire exchanges, smog tests, oil changes, ..and repairs !)

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-08-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:58 PM
mdkelly1
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 54 Posts

From other reports of engine damage as a result of this issue, it appears that each case is considered individually, with PCNA having the responsibility for final authorization to cover the repair or replace the engine (or to do nothing and/or grant goodwill in the case of an expired warranty & CPO).

The dealer must be on your side and strongly support the circumstances of your case in escalating it to PCNA. The age of car, the mileage driven, and the customer's "brand loyalty" will be among some of the the factors considered in the decision to repair or replace the engine.

The dealer's owner/general manager's efforts with PCNA on your behalf will likely be the deciding factor in what they offer as an ultimate solution.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:31 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

2010 Porsche Panamera 4S black/black w/Tineo wood, air suspension, sport chrono plus, 20” RS spyder wheels, etc..

For sale : 41'000.00 Very rare : this car includes a Porsche PCNA transferable 24’000 miles or 2 year Power Train warranty, issued in November 2016, when the car had 68'000 miles.
(Engine, gearbox, differentials, shafts, etc..) Imagine having a "no warranty" car, and a problem with one of these expensive parts of this car !
California DMV sticker price paid to November 2017.

2010 car with 76’000 miles, in great condition.
(I’m not in the business of selling cars.)

Tires : 3500 miles Pirelli P Zero, (“N” Porsche specified) on rims (option) RS Spyder type, staggered
Everything original, no pieces or parts from “after market” have been added.
Important note : this is a 4 doors car with four very comfortable seats, but in the rear, there is no “bench seat” (the center console runs to the back, where they are the independent temperature control for the left and right rear seats so, it is strictly a 4 passenger car. The rear seat can also fold easily (independently 1/3-2/3), to offer a pretty large cargo area, accessible by a large rear (powered) door.

Here is for sale, a car that I own (I'm the 2nd owner) since beginning 2013. (Clean carfax report, (available) zero issues.)
All the maintenance, services, etc.., done at a Porsche dealer, where this car was bought. (Including tires change, N spec.)
Being a 2010, this car had most of the earlier problems, like “coolant pipes”, the high pressure fuel pump, the “front end bushings”, and recently the camshaft adjusters bolts. Basically, on this topic, you do have a pretty complete "log" of this car.
Everything was fixed under the factory (CPO) warranty, that did end up this month of November.
But, this car has a brand new Porsche, 100% transferable, Power Train Warranty, that will be good for another 24’000 miles or two years.
The Porsche Power train warranty do include the engine, the gear box, the transfer case (differentials, i.e.: center, rear and front) and the power shafts, so the risks associated by buying and owning a 2010 Panamera are very well mitigated in this very special case.

This is a “4S”, or : a permanent four wheel drive (the “4”) and a fabulous V8 normally aspirated, that has a DFI (Direct Fuel Injection), and produces 400 HP ..the “S” !
For those who are thinking about the fuel consumption, we have done many time San Francisco to San Diego, filling it before departure, ..and not worrying about any gas stations before the next day after arriving to San Diego !
When cruising, at legal speed on freeway, this car do 24 MPG easily, or, with a tank full, the autonomy can be more than 600 miles in cruising mode.
About cruising, thanks to the air suspension, (3 modes : comfort-sport-sport plus), in comfort mode, this is really a flying carpet.
The “power” (thanks also to the “Sport Plus” option) has also 3 modes, (normal-sport-sport plus). In normal mode, it is easy to do 24 MPG on freeway. When you shift it (the press of a button) to Sport Plus mode, it becomes a very aggressive machine. The 400HP are all present, and the gears (7) shift when the engine rpm runs next to the redline !
By the way, the automatic gearbox (7 speeds “PDK”) is an extremely efficient double shaft gear box, with 1-3-5-7 on one shaft, and 2-4-6 (and reverse) on the other shaft.
So, when you start it up, the computer place the 1st gear on shaft one as well as the 2nd on shaft 2. When it become to time to shift, shaft one is clutched and shaft 2 declutched, and this at the exact moment when the rpm of both shaft are in “synch”, so, there is just no feeling that a shift did occurred, this is perfectly smooth, and this goes up the same way, i.e.: when the computer see that the speed goes one, it removes the 1st from shaft 1, and puts 3rd ! (and etc..)
Or, in automatic mode, all goes as smooth as you can believe.
Sure, at any time, you can shift in manual, thanks to commands at the central lever, or at the “clickers” (plus/minus, left and right) on the steering wheel.

By the way, this car “Sport Plus option” has a “launch control” (I never used it !), so if you really want to glue mother in-law in the back seat, when you are stand still, you press the sport plus button, with one foot, you press the break pedal and with the other the put the accelerator down to the metal, and when ready to go, you release your left foot.
The result is just madness, as with 400hp, 4WD, and a computer that knows what to do the make the fastest start (i.e.: shifting at the best moment) that is possible to think about.

About comfort, this car has front and rear heated seats, (it also has a steering wheel that you can heat, a great option during the winter), as well as seats (front and rear) that you can ventilate (they becomes cool), quite incredible the warm days !
The entertainment center includes a navigation, a Bluetooth system that let you keep your phone in your pocket, controlling it from the steering wheel buttons, as well as USB plug in the glove box. I use a USB key, in which I have close to 10’000 tunes, and this let me have all the music that I want on the road. The amp and the loudspeakers (many of these) are from Bose, (also an option), the sound is great.

I do have all the “invoices” (warranty/free of charge !) for the work that has been done on it, as well as all the oil change, tire changes, etc.. (Including the window sticker, when I bought it.) I also have the two original keys.
This car has never been tracked (I do have a track car for that !), so, the closest to the tracks that this car was, ..is in the pits parking !

I could add that to this day, I never had a ticket with it, and never had radar detector on it ! This car has NOT been abused on any sort, i.e.: never on Sport plus mode when engine is not at running temperature, etc..
And, ..never used the “Fast Launch” feature !

I sale it, I’m currently looking for the same in “Turbo” model, ..and found one that I like.

Here is the list of the options that have been added to the base model :

. Adaptive Air Suspension
. 20’’ RS Spyder design wheels
. Wheels cap with colored crest
. Seat ventilation front and rear
. 4 zones automatic A/C system
. Bluetooth phone interface
. Rear interior lighting package
. Park Assist front and rear including rear camera
. Sport Chrono Package Plus
. Variable Assist Power Steering
. Bose Surround sound system
. XM satellite radio
. Floor mats
. Tineo Wood interior package
. Steering Wheel Tineo, heated
. Power Sunscreen, rear sides and center rear

These Panamera are great cars, but, their sticker price vary highly depending about the options that have been selected initially.
In my opinion, the options is a very critical (and personal) choice. When I bought this car (more than 43’000 miles ago), I have looked at many, but this one was the one that I immediately decided for when I saw it, thanks to its option list. (I had many Porsche (911) during 30 years non stop as daily, before this car !)
Just let me know by a “reply” in this post or PM to me, if this car meet your demand.
The price is firm, I’m not in a rush to sell it. (..And the California DMV taxes are paid to November 2017.)
A lot of pictures are on this topic, and basically a very good log of the car. But, let me know if you want some specific photos.
Thanks.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-23-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

as the car that I was looking for is sold, my "rush is out", would not sell it for less than 47k, including the (transferable) Porsche warranty.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

In the news today :

** Porsche too said to use 'defeat device' software for gasoline cars **

To my eyes, the story turns into a real huge joke !
What the hell all of you are thinking what PDK is for ???
For me, it is very simple : This is NOTHING else than an “CO2 optimizer”.

But, as soon as you move out to “Sport” or “Sport Plus”, (i.e.: to get what you paid for !!), as per the horse power of your car, ..then the MPG (and for sure, the CO2) becomes VERY different.

When you are in “Normal” mode (is “normal” not a pure B.S. mode ???), the computer of your car that is in full control of your gear shifting, and optimize the power usage and the gear used, in order to save all it can do to have the least power used and ..for sure the LESS as POSSIBLE exhaust CO2 and etc.. !
Doing so, the manufacturer do sell you a POWERFULL car, for high bucks, but the default usage is such that you get a “cheapo low power” machine.
Sure, here, I may ask : Are you buying a Porsche to get a powerful and sportive machine, ..or only to show to your neighbor and your friends that you have a "Porsche" ? (and add : if you like a sport car, and sport car driving, do you really seriously care about the MPG ??? )

Or where is the real POWER ? ..not in the car, ..but in the Porsche Marketing.

I’m just amazed how deep the Porsche PDK message went through !
I would have felt that a much bigger percentage of Porsche users would realize that PDK is ..the beginning of the end of the real Sports cars, but no.
Porsche even forced all the GT3 new buyers ..to get PDK.
For me, this is another joke ! ..and most probably the reason why the current 2nd end market price of the brand new 911R is now well above US$ 500,000.00 !!
Well done Porsche, kudos to have made only so few of these “R” !
(More absurd, you could not have done.)

When I’m talking about the Panamera (the best car I ever had), and when I said that the ONLY BIGGEST problem of the Panamera to my opinion, ..is to be FORCED to choose PDK, then some guys here take “their pen” and write that “I must stop to bitch Porsche “ with this …HIDDEN DEFEAT DEVICE”, ..called PDK.
I just usually do not respond, ..but, this do let me think strongly that such high percent of guys are falling so deeply in the power of the marketing.

Just a big joke, but whatever is said, tomorrow the car will have “autopilot buttons, ..and not only the gearbox will be controlled by a computer, ..the steering wheel will be also.

Or, to me: very clear, : Most probably the end of Porsche brand, as a real sport car.

Btw, one of the article is here :
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-gasoline-cars

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-14-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

A bit "off subject", as nothing about Panamera on this one, but,
Rain or shine, the first ex. of “000” arrived safely today at home :

Name:  arrival%20of%20first%20000.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  224.7 KB

Thank you Pete, you made it and it is REAL great.
It is closer to a great book than a nice magazine.
But, not a standard book : ..an “evolving” book.
And beside including many important Porsche original documents, we got GREAT photos.
Sure, when you know that Mr. Jeff Swart is Artistic Advisor, ..no surprise !

Anyway, the result is super great for the people that appreciate these cars, I'm very happy to have subscribed.
Well done Pete.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 01-19-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO
A bit "off subject", as nothing about Panamera on this one, but,
Rain or shine, the first ex. of “000” arrived safely today at home :

Thank you Pete, you made it and it is REAL great.
It is closer to a great book than a nice magazine.
But, not a standard book : ..an “evolving” book.
And beside including many important Porsche original documents, we got GREAT photos.
Sure, when you know that Mr. Jeff Swart is Artistic Advisor, ..no surprise !

Anyway, the result is super great for the people that appreciate these cars, I'm very happy to have subscribed.
Well done Pete.
Thank you, GVA-SFO. So glad it arrived with you, and hope it did so in good shape!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:26 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete, yes, the packing is very good, the “book” arrived in perfect shape, very well protected for the transport.

..For sure, I jumped directly in the page 76, to read the 45 pages about “R4” ! (For many years, I have collected photos of 911R and spend a lot of time studying and collecting info about this specific model !)
Very good article, well done.
I would think that the same level of info for the 23 other cars, ..would make a real great book, and the best of all, about this fabulous 911 !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 05-27-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

After a 2'500 miles tour about two months ago, ..just back from another 3'200 miles tour.
California, Arizona, Nevada, and "parking" in the beautiful South of Utah.

A good starting point in California :

Name:  a%20good%20starting%20point%20for%20a%20tour.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  120.3 KB

I love this photo, ..in the Hight Desert" : (You need the mirror to see how to ride the desert in comfort !)

Name:  just%20love%20these%20roads%20in%20the%20high%20desert.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  76.0 KB

In Utah, an incredible road : Bicentennial highway :

Name:  canyon%20road%20dans%20l%20utah%20personne%20sur%20la%20route.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  up%20in%20a%20canyon.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  Gravir%20un%20Canyon%20dans%20l%20Utah.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  123.4 KB

And, when many people told us that we are crazy, it will be way too warm, ..here is what's up, when you go "too far up" !!!
(For sure, all of that, with Pirelli PZero, the tires that loves summer times.)
I just felt like home, in Switzerland going in the Mountain. Long time ago, I had two BMW 7, and in the winter, when the car felt that two flakes of snow landed on ground 3'000 feet higher than where we were, ..it was starting already to spin ! (With the time, I became extremely good at putting the chains on !!). With a Panamera 4, snow, sand, dirt, feel all as good and solid as asphalt.

Name:  panamera%20dans%20la%20neige.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  127.5 KB

Quite far from Los Angeles, ..with love

Name:  with%20a%20lot%20of%20traffic.jpg
Views: 1580
Size:  79.9 KB

In Utah, they should have some pretty good Dremel !

Name:  Beautiful%20Utah%20roads.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  easy%20just%20aim%20straight%20in%20the%20middle.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  143.9 KB

A funny one, "Hidden Panamera" :

Name:  trying%20to%20hide.jpg
Views: 1578
Size:  253.0 KB

..Sometimes, it is just a question of shape :

Name:  just%20a%20question%20of%20shapes.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  70.3 KB

Well, on the asphalt, in the dirt, or in the snow, ..so happy aboard a Panamera 4S
I still do not know about any better Grand Tourrer than this car.

But, I want to sell it, (see above), as I want to get a 2015 or 16 Turbo, ..to match the the power of our CTT !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-12-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:05 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Passing in the front of the Page (Az.) powerplant, that was working “full steam” (all 3 generators were on), exactly like on this photo.
(No, these are not signs from Natives.)

Name:  Page%20Arizona%20Powerplant.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  110.1 KB

(photo from Wikipedia)

I cannot resist to add again some comments:

Talking only about NOx, i.e.: the EPA VolksWagen Diesel gate that imo, can be named better a “ransom war”, (a little bit like sailing near the Somalia coasts !) and trying to put down numbers in a manner to be easy to catch for all of us :

Only THIS coal powerplant produces a yearly amount of more than 20’000 tons of NOx (and spread it all through the area of the most beautiful National Parks of the country !)

So, if we compare this single coal powerplant to the VW fraudulent emission, i.e.:
482’000 cars, 1.4 gram of NOx/mile, with average of 12’250 miles per car per year, the VW fraudulent NOx emission is about 7’600 tons.

Or more simply : the 482’000 VW Diesel cars generated about one third of the NOx made by a one single coal powerplant !!!
Would you imagine asking 60 billions to the owner of this plant, ..to be in the same price per kilogram of NOx that what was asked to VW ?

If you think about the 600 + active coal powerplants of the USA, then, the VW fraudulent NOx emission, ..is nothing than a real small peanut compared to the NOx emitted by the coal powerplants in service!

And, ..beside the pollution from all the coal powerplants, think about all the ships on the Oceans !
..keeping on mind, that only the 100 largest ships active on our Oceans, DO POLLUTE MORE than the billion cars that are in function on this planet.

One of many articles could be found here:
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lution-problem
(i.e.: good to read if sometime your are asking yourself why there is Mercury in the fish that you eat !)

Eh, EPA, if you want to eat, why hunting for mosquitoes, when there are plenty of elephants ?

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-12-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good bye 911 (after 30 year non stop), hello Panamera !