GTS v. Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Luca42
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTS v. Turbo

Gents,

I've been watching the discussion on the board for a while, but it seems that guys curiously disappear once they get their new cars (which I take in a VERY favorable way!). I'm torn between ordering a Turbo or GTS to specification. The difference between the builds (with same equipment) is approximately $25-28K. I ask now so I do not experience any "buyer's remorse" once I pull the trigger.

I've test driven both, but not for any extended period (the Turbo for a longer period). Both cars are wonderful machines. The GTS sounds amazing, aggressive (although I wonder if that would wear on me over long periods); the Turbo's ability to forcefully push me back into my seat always impresses. I was intrigued by the GTS' shifting in Sport Plus mode and how it takes you up to the red line, but I don't know if I drive like that all the time. When it was not in Sport Plus mode, I could not distinguish the car from a well-appointed 4S. I favored the more aggressive base styling in the GTS, but the Turbo can be tweaked in the same fashion.

The questions are directed to the GTS owners:

Are you happy with your choice?
Given a chance to do it all again, would you still select the GTS?
What does your GTS lack that you wish it had?

For the Turbo owners:

Are you satisfied with your choice?
Do you think the price premium is justified?

Any advice is appreciated. If you need any information from me to advise, let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-27-2012, 02:51 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts

I could have ordered the PTT, PTTS or GTS and chose the GTS because of its superior driver involvement. No question whatsoever in my mind that this is the best Panamera made if you're looking for a car that really communicates with you. The recent reviews basically agree.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:04 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently drove both, and agree with umwolverine. I can afford any of them, and hands down, will be ordering a GTS when my lease is up. It was odd, but I actually found thw Turbo to be boring. Sure, it was fast, but it was otherwise so refined and completely insulated, that I found it "unengaging." I had absolutely no idea how fast I was going, which is not fun at all, as I want to be in sync with my car.

Of course, to each his own.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I ordered a GTS to spec in January. After spending a weekend in both a 4S and a Turbo, I decided to go PTT for the added power. So the dealer ordered a PTT to the same spec, which comes in any day.

I drove the GTS they ordered for me a few weeks ago when it came in and it had the noise, very cool interior and is a very nice car. I did love the interior and overall look of the car. Just not fast enough for me. I live in S. Cal and not many mountain/twisty roads on my drive to work, just some big hills and the torque of the Turbo really shows at 70+ on these roads. To be honest the noise did nothing for me. The Turbo is faster and more on the luxury/quiet side, but it can hunker down and haul the mail if you wish.

I see my Panamera as a daily driver and was looking a bit more for a quiet, fast, sporty, luxury car - but not an AMG or other big boat. I have driven an M5 daily since 1988, but wanted more room for my kids in the back. The PTT hit all the right spots for me.

Either way you will be very happy with either a GTS or a PTT. I have other cars that can address the sport side for me, so the PTT was the best fit for my needs.

Hope you find exactly what you are looking for!
Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM
doug928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could have ordered any one either but I chose the GTS. i prefer the N/A engine any day. It is due in early June...can't wait.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Can a Panamera GTS be ordered with air suspension?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:20 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't wait for a couple of years so these come into my price range!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by W8MM
Can a Panamera GTS be ordered with air suspension?
The air suspension is standard on the GTS. You also MUST get the PDCC. Expensive, but worth every penny. No body roll, no dive under the hardest braking, incredible ride over rough surfaces, freakish cornering and transitions.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks Mike.

Nice to see you the other day at the office!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I am actually kind of shocked at how much car you get for the money in the GTS. I hope that Porsche does not wise up and discontinue it before I can place my order in six months....ha. To all those that are interested in the comparison, you really just need to go and test drive them back to back. Sure, the Turbo is ballz fast...but the GTS, while just as luxurious, simply felt more visceral when you really got into it. I cannot wait to get into the que for one.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by W8MM
Thanks Mike.

Nice to see you the other day at the office!
Same here - see you at the track!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Luca42
AutoX

Guys,

Thanks. Great observations on the Turbo and the GTS. I definitely noticed the greater "feel/touch" in the GTS but felt that I could probably duplicate that in the Turbo, if I really pushed it. (I confess I pampered both on the test drives). Again, both awesome cars.

I'm leaning heavily towards the GTS and I think it has to do with the inherent edginess. I also agree that it is a great value in the Panamera family- to me, I don't know why anyone would opt for a 4S.

As for build, I'm sold on Burmeister, PDCC, keyless entry, ventilated/heated seats and Turbo II wheels. Anything else I should consider?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM
umwolverine
Racer

Originally Posted by Luca42
Guys,

Thanks. Great observations on the Turbo and the GTS. I definitely noticed the greater "feel/touch" in the GTS but felt that I could probably duplicate that in the Turbo, if I really pushed it. (I confess I pampered both on the test drives). Again, both awesome cars.

I'm leaning heavily towards the GTS and I think it has to do with the inherent edginess. I also agree that it is a great value in the Panamera family- to me, I don't know why anyone would opt for a 4S.

As for build, I'm sold on Burmeister, PDCC, keyless entry, ventilated/heated seats and Turbo II wheels. Anything else I should consider?
I would definitely agree on the Burmester. I have enjoyed listening to the Bose so much when the car is in 'luxury' mode, I wish I'd ordered the Burmester. I figured the stereo upgrade would be a waste. I had no idea how quiet the car would be, and what a great listening environment it is. I would get the Sirius/XM/HD radio package.

I would also highly recommend the park-assist and reversing camera. The rear visibility is absolutely terrible, and this package is almost required in some situations.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Luca42
AutoX

Originally Posted by umwolverine
I would definitely agree on the Burmester. I have enjoyed listening to the Bose so much when the car is in 'luxury' mode, I wish I'd ordered the Burmester. I figured the stereo upgrade would be a waste. I had no idea how quiet the car would be, and what a great listening environment it is. I would get the Sirius/XM/HD radio package.

I would also highly recommend the park-assist and reversing camera. The rear visibility is absolutely terrible, and this package is almost required in some situations.
Wolverine,

Agreed on all. When I heard the Burmester for the first time, I knew it was a must have option. You need the XM package to get the real-time traffic updates to the nav, so that seems a no brainer.

On the visibility issue, I've read enough here to understand that this is a real issue. (Of course, if you're moving fast enough, there really is no need to look back, I guess! ). Park assist w/ camera will be part of the build. I have also added Lane Assist for that reason too.

For purely cosmetic reasons, I'll add the illuminated sills.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Luca42
AutoX

Originally Posted by supercup
I ordered a GTS to spec in January. After spending a weekend in both a 4S and a Turbo, I decided to go PTT for the added power. So the dealer ordered a PTT to the same spec, which comes in any day.

I drove the GTS they ordered for me a few weeks ago when it came in and it had the noise, very cool interior and is a very nice car. I did love the interior and overall look of the car. Just not fast enough for me. I live in S. Cal and not many mountain/twisty roads on my drive to work, just some big hills and the torque of the Turbo really shows at 70+ on these roads. To be honest the noise did nothing for me. The Turbo is faster and more on the luxury/quiet side, but it can hunker down and haul the mail if you wish.

I see my Panamera as a daily driver and was looking a bit more for a quiet, fast, sporty, luxury car - but not an AMG or other big boat. I have driven an M5 daily since 1988, but wanted more room for my kids in the back. The PTT hit all the right spots for me.

Either way you will be very happy with either a GTS or a PTT. I have other cars that can address the sport side for me, so the PTT was the best fit for my needs.

Hope you find exactly what you are looking for!
Supercup,

Thanks for this. I agree with your analysis completely and I think it made me confront some hard facts. I lived in S. Cal for nine year (most recently in 2010) and if I still lived there, I think I'd select a Turbo as well. I'd certainly use it as a daily driver, which would entail about 80 miles RT each day (usually the PCH, Malibu Canyon, the 405 and the 101). My driving habits on this coast have changed what is required/wanted.

For starters, I now live only two miles from my office, which has meant more time on the bike and bus than in the car. Importantly, the roads here are just really not conducive to using a broad band of the power that either car possesses (I'm currently in an AMG FWIW). I mean this from the standpoint of road quality (i.e., surface) and capacity (i.e., lanes).

Given that, I guess the GTS seems more prudent. (Now if you want to talk me out of that choice, I'm listening!) I do think it would be amazing to drive a Turbo on the 101 north of SB or over the Grapevine.

Quick Reply: GTS v. Turbo