Panamera Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM
alexcalifornia
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Panamera Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo

Hi all,

Difficult difficult choice. it's been tearing me for over 2 weeks now.

I'm planning to order a 911 Cab, most likely the S 2012 - this will be my fun car.

apart from that I feel i need something with a bit more utility, to be able to do long road-trips, skiing, a bit of camping, take friends and clients from the airport etc. Something very versatile.

CTT - i like the versatility, but i wonder how often i will really use it as an SUV. i like the road clearance ability but apart from getting into some deep snow by "accident" or driving into a campsite on some dirt roads i can't think when i'd be using that off road capability. 5 people + price advantage is a pretty good reason. Also, the new one is fairly refined and 500bhp +PDCC will feel like a Panamera. Vision should also be good, sitting higher.

PTT - the launch control is amazing just for a laugh, but will I use it that much? It's a more "classy" car, more unique so I like that a lot. I like the looks too. I think it's a 1st generation so there may be some things they've not perfected yet?
Pricetag - is just huge. Can I fit 2 bikes on it somehow? (back of the trunk?) Skis? (I think the stock option doesn't have roof rails).

Anything, any thoughts, highly appreciated.

Thank you.

CTT (less expensive, and has gone through several generations) or PTT?
What would you choose? Has anyone owned both or driven them for a longer period of time?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

If you already have a 911, then definitely do CTT.

Trunk of Panamera is very small, definitely will not hold all your camping stuffs.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
If you already have a 911, then definitely do CTT.

Trunk of Panamera is very small, definitely will not hold all your camping stuffs.
I agree. You will be surprised by how much you will come to enjoy the CTT.

--Bob
Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM
alexcalifornia
4th Gear

wow, suprising that you recommend the CTT, given this is a Panamera tread...
I don't have "that" much camping stuff - it's just a larger tent and a few things...

In terms of practicality, have you ever felt the need of a CTT when having the Panamera?

Handling in snow for PTT?

thank you again!
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Assuming you have 4 snow tires on, Panamera has no problem at all in snow, unless you hit a place that needs more ground clearance.

As for practicality, there is no comparison at all. The trunk of Panamera can hold just one big suitcase (depending on shape as well), whereas Cayenne trunk can easily hold 4 or more. This is comparing both with rear seatback up. If seatback down, then Cayenne holds a lot more.

Not trying to say bad things against the Panamera, as it is the most comfortable drive out of all my Porsches. For long distance driving without the need for people and luggage carrying, I will prefer the Panamera all day long.

You really need to check out the space in the Panamera in person and decide for yourself.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
alexcalifornia
4th Gear

Default Thank you

Thank you. Appreciate all the thoughts.... It's really killing me this choice because I don't know how often I will need the versatility of an SUV

Assuming I'll have an 911 Cab as the fun toy, I need something useful day to day and the choice is CTT to order (which means wait several months) or PTTS which is in the showroom....but a lot more expensive.

Have you tried the launch control of the PTT? It's insane. CTT doesn't have one and I wonder how it feels accelerating off from a stand still.

If anyone has owned both or tried them for a few days pls let me know - everything helps !
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

OK Alex, since no one else responds, I'll give you my 2 cents again.

I have not driven a PTT or PTTS before, but I had ridden in a PTT on the track driven by a Porsche instructor, and I have used launch control multiple times in a 997.2 turbo and a Panamera 4S.

Yes, I agreed that launch control use in a turbo car is insane, but it is also one of the most useless function in modern cars during street or track driving. It is useful for drag racing and magazine test drives only. At a traffic light, you will not use it. On a highway, no. At the track, no again.

If money is not a problem, then definitely get the PTTS and order a CTT as well, but none of them will provide better driving pleasure than a 911 cab, preferably in manual. Oh, even better, get a GT3 or RS.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Alex,

I was going thru a similar debate earlier this year. I ended up ordreing a PTT instead of a Cayenne. My dealer loaned me a P4S, then a PTT the a CTT to drive over night. After taking some time with each I really preferred the PTT. I found the CTT was alway hunting for a gear, unless in sport plus, which really surprised me. I was a bit disappointed with it compared to the X5M.

My needs are for a daily driver. My son plays travel hockey and baseball, so I do take stuff. We have another SUV, but I find the hockey and baseball gear in my car a few days a week at least. I really felt the SUV offered the best utility. But in the end I did not want to drive an SUV everyday and my M5 had done the job up to now with no issue. However I did find whenever we went somewhere it was in the X5, not the M5.

Now we have a Sequoia as my wife wanted more space. An X5M it is not, but a good people and stuff hauler it is. So that made the decision much harder, as I did not want to have to drive the sequoia every weekend.

End of the day I kept going back to my back to back test drive and I preferred the PTT over the CTT. the PTT offers enough utilty to do what I need and be a much better daily driver otherwise. So that is what I chose.

My PTT comes in April and I am looking foreward to it.

I don't have snow issues where I live so that was not a consideration for me.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey, Alex.
We have both a 2011 PTT and 2011 CTT and I much prefer the daily use of the Panamera Turbo. More stylish, more fun, better drive. I am able to cram a lot of stuff into my Panamera (we just took about 8 suitcases in our car to the airport, with the seats folded down). No problems. Tons of space. Overall, best car I have ever owned. Even though the car has been out for over 2 years, people always stop me and admire the car. It is just the perfect car. I also have a 911 GTS for fun and the Panamera Turbo does not replace the sports car feeling, but it does give me the daily power/sporty feeling that I like. 911 is really for those spirited weekend drives...hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
alexcalifornia
4th Gear

Targa Tim, SuperCup, JCBH - thank you all for your comments, very grateful for your insights and time.

I drove a PTTS today - and it's just fabulous. The only downside of this car which i could pick up today is that it doesn't have seat ventilation and it's black /black. Would this be a big problem in California?
The sound (even with the PSE on) isn't comparable with a 911 - for example the vrooom when you turn the ignition on.

The only decision left to make is if I really need an SUV or not and figure out (*very hard*) when will I *really really* need the versatility of the Cayenne.

Of course any more thoughts until tomorrow would be appreciated.

Alex
Old 03-14-2012, 01:12 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Alex,

I live in Orange County and have lived with black interior with no ventilated seats no problem - there will be times. I do have ventilated seats in the 997TT cab and I like the feature very much and ordered it on the PTT I have coming in.

The PTTS is the ultimate car. The CTT is a great SUV - car or SUV - tough call. One thing you could consider is the money you save on the CTT could be used to get yourself a GT3 to replace your GTS and you would have a great everyday car in the CTT with total versatility and the ultimate weekend cruiser in the GT3.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 AM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

So what did you decide?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the Pano and loved everything about it. It just did not have enough room for everyday and weekend for us so moved to the TTC. We have two big dogs and need to tow our 13 ft. Boston Whaler tender from time to time. If life was perfect I would have 3 Porsches. good luck with the decision.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:45 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking to awaken this thread four years later: PTT vs CTT.

Currently have E92 M3 & 08 Pathfinder (Wife has Lexus GS350). Due to garage constraints, I'm looking to replace both w one vehicle: CTT or PTT. I don't track the M3 & I'd like the garage space for go karts and ATVs. Looking to have one one vehicle for me until daughter out of house.

The Panamera is rated at 4850 lbs towing capacity (w the factory swing out phallic towing ball) but they're rare and I'd likely have $1500 into a custom 2" receiver and cosmetic repair on the rear bumper cover. Don't worry, I'll pick up a used PTT that's a little beat up.

The PTTs are more pricey plus the hassle of the custom receiver. I'm looking for a fun daily driver that can also displace my SUV. Is the PTT driving experience THAT much above the CTT to justify the cost and the hassle? My commute to work is about 30 miles each way, the hitch would be get a lot of use for the bike rack. I'd like to have one vehicle and not miss the M3....
Old 12-27-2016, 02:12 AM
Jafetica888
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Looking to awaken this thread four years later: PTT vs CTT. Currently have E92 M3 & 08 Pathfinder (Wife has Lexus GS350). Due to garage constraints, I'm looking to replace both w one vehicle: CTT or PTT. I don't track the M3 & I'd like the garage space for go karts and ATVs. Looking to have one one vehicle for me until daughter out of house. The Panamera is rated at 4850 lbs towing capacity (w the factory swing out phallic towing ball) but they're rare and I'd likely have $1500 into a custom 2" receiver and cosmetic repair on the rear bumper cover. Don't worry, I'll pick up a used PTT that's a little beat up. The PTTs are more pricey plus the hassle of the custom receiver. I'm looking for a fun daily driver that can also displace my SUV. Is the PTT driving experience THAT much above the CTT to justify the cost and the hassle? My commute to work is about 30 miles each way, the hitch would be get a lot of use for the bike rack. I'd like to have one vehicle and not miss the M3....

Got both a Cayenne and Panamera and 100% prefer the Panamera, phenomenal car. It replaced a 911S Cab and other than the convertible I don miss it.
Having said this, I do my towing with the Cayenne....

Why don't you get the Cayenne for your wife for New Years and the Panamera for you?

Quick Reply: Panamera Turbo vs Cayenne Turbo