Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Am I the only one who likes the Panamera?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
benz
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Am I the only one who likes the Panamera?

I, like many on Rennlist, became a member of the Porsche family and community through the non-purist 911 route. For me it was a lovely 1985.5 944 that I bought with 110,000 miles in 1994. I drove it daily for 9 years, put on another 200,000 miles, and just sold it last year to another Porsche virgin who I hope comes to appreciate all the idiosyncracies of that car the way only someone who truly loves the marque can appreciate.

The 944 was chastised in its day, like the 914, 924, 928, 968, cayenne, and now panamera. What's more, they were partially chastised for their agressive pricing, let alone significant styling departures in their day. What I've come to appreciate is that they are all part of the Porsche family. Like my father told me growing up, "you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family!" Because I consider myself part of the Porsche family, this resonates with me when I read so much criticism of the new Panamera. So like that cousin or sister-in-law you don't really like, you may feel the same about the Panamera, but it is still a Porsche, like it or not.

For my family hauling needs, I had to leave the Porsche marque years ago for BMWs, specifically their sporty sedans. BMW defined sporty sedans for me and this is my benchmark. I can not wait to experience Porsche's redefinition of a sporty sedan

I'm ready to be blasted for this but really hope there are others that feel the same way out there.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Nope, you are not alone.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will wait to see it in the flesh.....
Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by benz
I, like many on Rennlist, became a member of the Porsche family and community through the non-purist 911 route. For me it was a lovely 1985.5 944 that I bought with 110,000 miles in 1994. I drove it daily for 9 years, put on another 200,000 miles, and just sold it last year to another Porsche virgin who I hope comes to appreciate all the idiosyncracies of that car the way only someone who truly loves the marque can appreciate.

The 944 was chastised in its day, like the 914, 924, 928, 968, cayenne, and now panamera. What's more, they were partially chastised for their agressive pricing, let alone significant styling departures in their day. What I've come to appreciate is that they are all part of the Porsche family. Like my father told me growing up, "you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family!" Because I consider myself part of the Porsche family, this resonates with me when I read so much criticism of the new Panamera. So like that cousin or sister-in-law you don't really like, you may feel the same about the Panamera, but it is still a Porsche, like it or not.

For my family hauling needs, I had to leave the Porsche marque years ago for BMWs, specifically their sporty sedans. BMW defined sporty sedans for me and this is my benchmark. I can not wait to experience Porsche's redefinition of a sporty sedan

I'm ready to be blasted for this but really hope there are others that feel the same way out there.

If your family will have only two kids, then the Panamera might be fine (it seats only two in the back). I could put up with the rear and the overall size, but the back really could use a bench seating option. JMO.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
benz
Rennlist Member

I have 2 kids now, so it works. If we take a trip as a family, we take the suburban anyways since we also have a large German Shorthaired Pointer as well. Since my wife stays home, she does the heavy lifting in multiple kid carrying. I usually have 1 at most to drop off at school on the way to work. That's why this is so darn intriguing.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 AM
mbslrm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it as well.

If they made it like a normal sedan, it would look really nice. The interior is simply amazing. The only view it looks ugly in is the rear 3/4.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I like it too. But I reserve final judgement to seeing it in the sheetmetal.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I like it too. But I reserve final judgement to seeing it in the sheetmetal.
I'll be at the dealership to take a closer look as soon as one show up. I really like the interior shots
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by benz

I suggest you read before posting.

There's ample criticism of the Panablunda, but for the most part, we all see it as an inevitability with its various strengths and weaknesses.

As for your post, it seems you want to find the dopey pooch at the pound and "rescue" it. I think that's about the most Porsche can hope for from 911 drivers. : )
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I suggest you read before posting.

There's ample criticism of the Panablunda, but for the most part, we all see it as an inevitability with its various strengths and weaknesses.

As for your post, it seems you want to find the dopey pooch at the pound and "rescue" it. I think that's about the most Porsche can hope for from 911 drivers. : )
Who pissed in your cereal? Why not at least take one for a drive before you decide it's a POS?
Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 PM
benz
Rennlist Member

The glass is always half full to me, so I guess if you call a 500HP supercar that happens to have 4 doors and blows the socks off most other production Porsches a dopey pooch, then yes, I'd rescue it any day.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is with the 500 switches, buttons, and *****? Look like a cockpit in a 777. I will stick with my GT3 and E63 for the sedan. But I see no point in telling someone one to buy the car they want..... That is Al Gore's job.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
what is with the 500 switches, buttons, and *****? Look like a cockpit in a 777. I will stick with my GT3 and E63 for the sedan. But I see no point in telling someone one to buy the car they want..... That is Al Gore's job.
You like the E63 for it's very easy to use and intuitive "Command" system right??

500 buttons may be a Porsche improvement.....
Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

I am positive about the Panamera because of the performance it promises.

It does look a little different, but who knows, I might like it. It's definitely a bit sexy looking. I want to get in it before I decide, try out the hatchback, see if it has cubby holes for my junk. Will it make me feel good when I drive it around? If so, I am IN.

Maybe it's good that it looks different than everything else out there. I mean, I used to like 1990's BMW 5 and 7 series, but these days they all look like Honda Accords, in fact almost all new 4 door cars look like Honda Accords to me these days. lol. I used to be a BMW guy, but not so much anymore.

As for the interior of the Panamera, I do like all the buttons on the Panamera - lots of things to play with there, and that's fun - I see nothing wrong with that spaceship dashboard - fun to be a kid in the cockpit.

I trust Porsche very much - so maybe in a few years I'll be ready for a used Panamera. I'm sure it's well equipped to set land speed records.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 PM
mbslrm
Intermediate

I agree... there are too many buttons...

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who likes the Panamera?