Notices
Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera is up and able to be configured at your local dealership

Old 02-19-2009, 12:18 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
Im surprised at the pricing a little more than an M3 for similar power u can deal with but not 30k more, hopefully theyll address power and pricing before the release
All due respect dark; I don't think you're getting it. It ain't all about power mang.

If you knew Porsche you'd know that. Same goes with Pricing.

The Pano isn't looking to take "M3" buyers. Think Continental GT/Quattroporte/S63/S8/760series ect ect.

M3 isn't even in the same category. Not even close.

Ps.

The Panamera Turbo will clip the Sixty in about 4 seconds flat. For a car its size, that's remarkable.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:37 AM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

well im looking for a bit of a harder edged car perhaps a Panamera GTS is what Im looking for
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM
OneManTX
Pro

If I wanted a sedan, I'd be interested.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

well im looking for a bit of a harder edged car perhaps a Panamera GTS is what Im looking for
Harder edge?

Why not get a CPO 997 GT3 and a Pano S ; call it a day.

Sorry bud, but you can't get a Pano- and think it's a 'hard edge' car and be taken seriously.

It ain't that sort of car.

Think again eh?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by OneManTX
If I wanted a sedan, I'd be interested.
Hugh- a white pano would look with your White Turboooooooooo
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Harder edge?

Why not get a CPO 997 GT3 and a Pano S ; call it a day.

Sorry bud, but you can't get a Pano- and think it's a 'hard edge' car and be taken seriously.

It ain't that sort of car.

Think again eh?
it isnt? Porsche considers this on some level a sports car for 4 not touring car for 4, why cant I have what I want? isnt that what Porsche is about? I'm looking of r a car to replace my M5 and I expect it to be as quick or quicker with sharper reflexes, If I wanted an S class thats what Id buy, and as I own a Cayenne GTS and GT2 I think I know what I like
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 AM
ArcticGT3
Racer

I think there are two different types of comparisons that should be applied to the Panamera. From the performance point of view, and from the target market point of view.

Performance wise, I assume an S or 4S will be fairly comparable to an M3. But it will be so much more because of size and luxury, and therefore price. There is a Cayenne GTS because of the nature of the Cayenne itself: it is supposed to do everything, and therefore compromise everything a little, thus making a GTS version justified because it compromises one aspect less than the others. In the case of the Panamera, there is much less compromise to begin with. No very high center of gravity, and less weight penalty. It's easier to get everything at the same time. No doubt Porsche marketing will come up with a Panamera GTS, but I assume there will be plenty of hard edge in the S versions already.

The turbo version - and its huge price premium - should have all the hard edges you want. Per Cass Whitehead, chief instructor at PSDS, a current Cayenne Turbo is faster around Barber than a current non-S Carrera. I suspect that the Panamera Turbo will be faster than a Carrera S.

All that performance will be available to a fairly large potential market. It will appeal to those who have performance and want to upgrade to more luxury and exclusivity, and to those who have luxury and want more performance.

I think it will also appeal to people who like beautiful car just because they're beautiful! Like most, I'm not convinced by the rear end yet. I've heard from some who have seen it in the flesh that it "makes sense." But otherwise, I find the car fantastic.

The rear end is explained by the required luggage space in the specs. The other aspects of the design have nothing controversial in the vein of what Bangle has done at BMW (and I'm not a Bangle basher). I don't think it provokes reactions like "why the hell is this line like this or that"? I find that the design is in complete agreement with Form following Function, and it is beautiful (save room for future opinion on the rear).

To me, the interior is a way of saying "the future has arrived." Auto shows always have plenty of concepts with "cool"- looking interiors that you know you would get tired of after a week. The Panamera's interior to me is what these interiors were meant to be all along. Futuristic, but not gimmicky, and purposeful, but not boring. There is nothing like it in any other car, but it's not what justifies it.

I like Porsches because when I drive, they always remind me of the respect that the engineers who put them together deserve. It's like "Wow, these guys put together such a great car, and I get to drive it, hopefully not too far from as well as they intend it to be driven. Many people (none on rennlist of course) buy a car in order to be seen in it. Here on Rennlist, we buy cars that we wish we were able to watch from the outside at the same time we are driving because they are beautiful. I find that the Panamera's interior is going to get us closer to that impossible dream!

In case anyone was wondering, I can't wait to drive one!

Armando
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line: It reminds me of my Lexus GS300, so daddy & mommy likes!
Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
So in other words you want a 4 door 911?
You got it. More specifically, a 4-door 911 Turbo...or 4-door GT2.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ArticGT3
The rear end is explained by the required luggage space in the specs. The other aspects of the design have nothing controversial in the vein of what Bangle has done at BMW (and I'm not a Bangle basher). I don't think it provokes reactions like "why the hell is this line like this or that"? I find that the design is in complete agreement with Form following Function, and it is beautiful (save room for future opinion on the rear).
The rear was designed to mimic Butzi Porsche's original 911 silouhette. But in Butzi's case, he knew an engine was going in back there. In the case of the Panamera, there ain't no engine back there, so marketing said we can claim it's for all the luggage space. But since the car can seat only four, and it's not going to be the family grocery getter (as stated above, it's aimed at the 50+ year-old crowd-likely with business interests), 99% of the time, that huge rear boot will be empty.

And I don't get the gigantic console that divides the front and rear seat compartments. Strangely enough, as wide as the car is, the seats almost look cramped. I know it's a visual effect with the huge divider and the console on the dash trying to look like an aircraft cockpit, but the Panamera looks like it's interior volume is 30% larger than it needs to be.

Couple the above with the world recession, and it will be interesting to see how many of these Apteryx-747's Porsche's desperate dealers will be able to earn a commission on.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:27 PM
kompressor 5450
AutoX

i dont see why everybody is bitchin. i think it looks beautiful.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

it isnt? Porsche considers this on some level a sports car for 4 not touring car for 4, why cant I have what I want? isnt that what Porsche is about? I'm looking of r a car to replace my M5 and I expect it to be as quick or quicker with sharper reflexes, If I wanted an S class thats what Id buy, and as I own a Cayenne GTS and GT2 I think I know what I like
Yes, you are correct, you know what you like. But you made a comment with "M3" in the statement. That is incorrect.

And to be blunt, it's bigger then the M5. The Panamera Turbo will be 0-60 in 4.0 Seconds. So yes, it'll be quicker then your M5. With out a doubt.

Again, my comment was directed towards the M3 referrence. That's it. Nobody's telling you what you do or dont like Dark.

Breath.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:01 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

I thought a "ftting lounge" was used to sell dresses not automobiles. But I guess I just fail to understand the amazing minds in the Porsche marketing department. Can faux snob appeal really sell an ugly dog?

At the least, in recognition of the current purchasing and ownership environment, we can now take comfort in knowing there is a Porsche that deserves to be burned on the street.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by George from MD
I thought a "ftting lounge" was used to sell dresses not automobiles. But I guess I just fail to understand the amazing minds in the Porsche marketing department. Can faux snob appeal really sell an ugly dog?

At the least, in recognition of the current purchasing and ownership environment, we can now take comfort in knowing there is a Porsche that deserves to be burned on the street.
She can't be all that bad. We've taken over half a dozen deposits for her... I'm sure we're not unique in that department.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got the dealer call to come to the "fitting." I begged off--I need to see it in person before I tell the factory what car I want. That will move me back in the line of buyers, but so be it. Current economic conditions do not favor a new car purchase.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Panamera is up and able to be configured at your local dealership