Panamera 2010-Current

Panamera Pic, OT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by muis
My apologies; didn't want to offend anyone.
As I stated in my first post, didn't really know where to post. The OT forum seems to be a political forum where the word 'Porsche' is seldom mentioned, that's why I posted the pic here.
Next time I won't post, just to avoid any of this. Don't really need it.
Muis, no offense taken, but this really doesn't belong here.

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Muis, Ed is always the first one to make a comment on anything that might seems off topic. I am not sure why he gets so uptight about it. It's a forum and what you posted is intersting to (most) 911 owners. If they are not interested, then they should ignore the thread instead of being a kill joy and making you feel bad for nothing. Some people obviously don't have anything better to do. I would be much more interested in Ed's opinion on the car than his negative remarks about the post.

FWIW, there are often topics on this forum that are 911 related that people post which don't interest me and I just ignore them.
As I've stated before, I have infrequent times that I get to peruse this forum. To scan posts that don't really relate at all to air-cooled 911's gets old. If there were mods here on a regular basis, they'd be moved. This thread would've lasted 15 minutes on Pelican. When I see threads on "what rental cars are your favorite?", "should my dad buy this Ferrari?" all followed by "OT", it does get under my skin, so I probably have less and less tolerance for any thread marked "OT", whether it is Porsche-related or not.

Why not start some threads on Caymans, Cayennes, Boxsters and such here? It's all good; they're all P-cars. Or, maybe a bit of a different spin: "How do Evo's compare to 911's?" Or, "can I replace my BMW lighter with one from a 911?" If we apply your logic, the value of this forum is compromised in very short order.

For the record, I probably read about 7-8 car mags a month in my travels, I don't need to come on the air/oil-cooled 911 Forum to learn about Panameras.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 PM
muis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
For the record, I probably read about 7-8 car mags a month in my travels, I don't need to come on the air/oil-cooled 911 Forum to learn about Panameras.
Sorry Ed, but I just can't resist to comment. Something about a pot and a kettle.
As much as you don't want to see pictures of other Porches here, others might not care to see pictures of your wife sitting poolside somewhere between TX and CA.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

One of these days the Rennlist may actually HAVE a Panamera Forum and then all this would be moot. But for now...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

that is one abortion of a car......
Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
One of these days the Rennlist may actually HAVE a Panamera Forum and then all this would be moot. But for now...
Until then, we've got a poll going over here...

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4045
Old 11-23-2008, 02:22 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

As I've stated before, I have infrequent times that I get to peruse this forum. To scan posts that don't really relate at all to air-cooled 911's gets old. If there were mods here on a regular basis, they'd be moved. This thread would've lasted 15 minutes on Pelican. When I see threads on "what rental cars are your favorite?", "should my dad buy this Ferrari?" all followed by "OT", it does get under my skin, so I probably have less and less tolerance for any thread marked "OT", whether it is Porsche-related or not.

Why not start some threads on Caymans, Cayennes, Boxsters and such here? It's all good; they're all P-cars. Or, maybe a bit of a different spin: "How do Evo's compare to 911's?" Or, "can I replace my BMW lighter with one from a 911?" If we apply your logic, the value of this forum is compromised in very short order.

Ed, I can appreciate that you do not have a lot of time to visit Rennlist and I think its great that you get the opportunity to read 7-8 car mags a month. But your schedule and lifestyle is not representative of the masses using this forum and quite franky, I could care less about what your schedule permits and does not permit you to do. This is Rennlist.com, not Edhugheslist.com, and it needs to cater to all Porsche enthusiasts, not just you.

What you and I and everyone else here have in common is that we are all Porsche enthusiasts which is why we use this forum. And I have read many of your posts which are quite relevant, so thank you for bringing value to my Rennlist usage. I see no reason why Muis can't have a conversation with his fellow 911 owners about another Porsche model, regardless of the fact that there is no forum for this model yet. Also, I personally believe that this is not off topic because it is a conversation about a Porsche on a Porsche website (as opposed to a conversation about politics, weather, sports, etc.)

In addition, I would think labelling a post "OT" whether or not it is Porsche related would be a benefit to you. you could simply ignore it and move on to things more relevant to you.

This site provides a ton of entertainment and valuable information for its users. I think we all need to keep that in mind. Because in reality, all we really want to do is share our experiences and talk Porsche cars with each other.

Also, be happy you are on the 911 forum because the 993 forum would make you crazy. It is filled with REAL off-topic posts.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by muis
Sorry Ed, but I just can't resist to comment. Something about a pot and a kettle.
As much as you don't want to see pictures of other Porches here, others might not care to see pictures of your wife sitting poolside somewhere between TX and CA.
Well now I am offended, you certainly seem like a stalker referring to a thread from 5 months ago. THAT, at least, related directly to a fairly avid Rennlist posted and a fairly well-known 911.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
that is one abortion of a car......
I was thinking the same thing

The last time they tried it, it was actually aborted like that scene in The Godfather
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Get over it Ed. You negative comments are just as bad if not worse than the original post... No one wants to read endless rants on why you dont like the post. Seems you do have way too much time on your hands... If Pelican would delete within 15 minutes... perhaps you should leave Rennlist for good and just hang at Pelican... Just my .02. Thanks Muis.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK... let's all count to 10 and take a couple of deep breaths...

My experience with these internet forums style of 'communication' is that some things don't change regardless of subject. I have participated in car/guitar/music type forums over the years. Those who have been on a particular board for a long time have seen more of the repeating questions from newcomers than others and may be a bit less patient because they have all seen it before and they want something more interesting. I know I have reached that point on some guitar boards and I have chosen to reduce the number of times I visit those sites. The more you frequent a site, the more you feel vested in it.

My criteria is an adequate subject line. Muis' subject line was fine with me. If I have no interest in the Panamera, I could easily ignore. Since I was interested, I checked it out. I trust everyone else can make the same decision for themselves...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

This is actually an interesting Tangent to the thread . I kind of see where ed is coming from becuse I am a technical guy myself. I like to hang out here and never go to the off topic area because I like reading about technical subjects and helping guys out because I am an engineer and this is my interest.
I do wish non technical stuff would go to the OT forum as this is what it was designed for. This is a specific place for technical issues. All that said I do realize this has become a "911" forum , not a tech forum , and I just don't read the non tech stuff and put the non technical contributors on my ignore list.....
not meaning to offend people but I like talking about repairs, modifications and overhauls. i though Ed's and James's from a few years back were the pinacle of what this particular forum is about.
But i am not gonna bash people over it .....
can I get off my soap box now :-0

Last edited by theiceman; 11-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I wish Porsche luck, but that is one UGLY vehicle!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taking styling cues from the Cayenne ... Ack !

BTW, the only reason for posting an OT thread in a specific forum is to garner the comments of your peers. That works for me, although I am not a moderator. At a certain point it might be reasonable to shift over to thr real OT forum, just to give everybody a chance to comment.

As for this being a technical forum, that would be true, but it should be said that if you are looking for serious technical imput, Pelican is where the serious tech guys hang out. If you are a member here, and have never checked out their website, you really should. Even if you don't wrench, they have some humongus picture threads that will blow you away. Shoot, they even have a dedicated 911 engine building forum. People still post here, and some prefer it here.

Have a nice holiday, folks.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brads911sc
Get over it Ed. You negative comments are just as bad if not worse than the original post... No one wants to read endless rants on why you dont like the post. Seems you do have way too much time on your hands... If Pelican would delete within 15 minutes... perhaps you should leave Rennlist for good and just hang at Pelican... Just my .02. Thanks Muis.
You get over it-at least I ponied up my membership to rant.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

You get over it-at least I ponied up my membership to rant.

at least we can still have a sense of humor

yeah Pelican is really good and that place just moves to fast for me . post a question , 20 minutes later it is 3 pages back !!!

Quick Reply: Panamera Pic, OT?