Notices

OT: Corvette ZR1 to get NA DOHC 6.2L V8?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stgrt
Also, I do not understand why they moved this thread. The ZR1 will likely have a similar track focus as the GT3. If they keep the GT350 and Viper ACR threads there then it seems reasonable to keep the ZR1 thread as well. The Giulia Quadrifoglio thread seems a lot more off topic than this one.

There are many way off topic threads and they picked on this one. A great topic, a great car too.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:10 PM
clevelandporsche
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The C4 ZR1 was DOHC. I think it's a fitting throwback. I wouldn't be surprised if the goal is more about emissions than fuel economy also.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 PM
KA 991 GT3
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Had to share this video... It is amazeballs...

Old 01-19-2017, 06:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

LS7 has been around for 10 years now.
Don't you think GM already has the "recipe" to make 100hp/L or more in a book somewhere?
With 60 years of small-block R&D to borrow from as well as an aftermarket that functions as their quasi-in-house tuning division they could make a 700hp NA small block tomorrow.

The question is, how can they make it fit emissions and MPG requirements...

The only benefit a DOHC design would have over the current LS-OHV architecture is the ability to run more "mild" camshafts due to the available valve area (2x smaller valves can still have more flow area than 1x big f***er). The respective masses of the multiple camshafts and valves is a secondary benefit. More mild cam profiles despite massive flow would certainly make it easier to meet emissions...but why bother designing a new head if you can use someone else's (Eaton) supercharger?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:52 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by clevelandporsche
The C4 ZR1 was DOHC. I think it's a fitting throwback. I wouldn't be surprised if the goal is more about emissions than fuel economy also.
I own a c4 ZR-1. Honestly I'd be surprised if GM put a DOHC V8 in the current chassis. It was a packaging nightmare then and would be worse now. For a mid engine car, it's more feasible to be taller enginewise.

Yes having a 5.7L V8 that loves 7k rpm is fun. Not much like it and most people have no idea what it is when they see it or hear it. It looks just like any other 90s Corvette except for one 4" badge on the back and a window sticker commemorating a lot of FIA world records (only on 91s like mine). I can't wait to get my custom wheels for this car soon.

The 505 hp C6 Z06 is currently on my short list of high performance bargains.

Quick Reply: OT: Corvette ZR1 to get NA DOHC 6.2L V8?