Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Lotus Evora

looks interesting

http://www.lotuscars.com/e400/
Old 02-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drove by a Lotus dealer today and looked them up online. Taking deposits now for the 400. I'm not in the market, but if I was this car is so much more exotic than a 991. Hope to pick up a Lotus someday, about the only other marque with the racing hertiage of Porsche and Ferrari.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:07 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I agree, am hoping new Evora 400 will drive down prices of gen 1 Evora. I know the internet tends to accentuate the negative over the positive, but the online forums highlight some really nagging problems on these with the IPS stalling, sticky paddles, fit & finish, etc. That said, it's a sweet looking car and people seem to love it's steering and handling....T
Old 02-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I agree, am hoping new Evora 400 will drive down prices of gen 1 Evora.
I'm not sure there is much demand for the gen 1 Evora regardless of the 400. There are a good amount of these in SoCal and the private sale prices are 5 figures less than what dealers are offering similar used Evora's at. I'd bet if you showed up with cash to a private party sale you'd pick up an Evora real cheap. The Elise/Exige seem to do much better.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:38 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redline911
I'm not sure there is much demand for the gen 1 Evora regardless of the 400. There are a good amount of these in SoCal and the private sale prices are 5 figures less than what dealers are offering similar used Evora's at. I'd bet if you showed up with cash to a private party sale you'd pick up an Evora real cheap. The Elise/Exige seem to do much better.
Thanks, Redline911. The mechanical & electronic issues I read about online scare me enough that I'm thinking about leasing a new one with 3 full years of warranty, but I've not done any homework to know how smart/dumb/feasible of an idea that is....T
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 AM
MertleTurtle
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest fear of the current gem evoras are reliability. They are very finneky. Lots of problems in the drive train. Great gt car though. And over on LT you grab a sub 20k mile car for ~40k
Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 PM
pecivil
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the 2010's especially has issues. Lotus makes nice cars for the driving experience but not so much for fit and finish....lol.

My elise was pretty stout and a really fun track car tho! Bet an Evora would not be as much fun on track, but nicer on the street. Until it broke that is.

Spend some time on LT and you can see the issues.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:50 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Really like the Evora, how do they hold up to track duty?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just test drove a brand new 2014, and really cool car. They also had a 2014 with 500 miles for about $15k less! I definitely did notice the concern with interior trim/leather. Just doesn't seem to be well put together but other than that great car! My only hesitation is with reliability issues, although many say it has been sorted out after 2011/2012. I will say the car drove very smooth and overall I thought it was comfortable (blasphemy for a Lotus lol)
Old 03-19-2015, 06:31 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Still just a kit car with a Toyota engine
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

All Lotus's are kit cars. Colin Chapman had a habit of walking through the employee parking lot, and pulling things off cars to see how they would fit on Lotus production cars.

That goes for my Esprit also. Does not make the driving experience any less enjoyable.
Lotus's are fun cars to drive.

Alan
Old 07-12-2015, 04:26 AM
dustinr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made the switch from 997 Carrera S to 2013 Evora S. I've owned numerous 911's but have always wanted to try a Lotus so I finally pulled the trigger. To be honest, the fit and finish is way better than I expected and its actually a quieter car on the inside than my last 997. My 997 was loud, wind noise, tire noise, squeaks, rattles, etc. The Evora in comparison doesn't make a peep; no rattles, no squeaks, less wind noise, has tire noise on crap pavement, but quiets right up on good roads. The 911 is def. an easier car to live with. Has better visibility, easier to get in and out of, has more useable trunk space, the HVAC system is automatic and is more refined and does work better, and the stereo is epic in a 911. The Evora though is focused on driving and less focused on being a nicely appointed sports car like the 911 has become. The Evora is mind bendingly good in the fun to drive category and is mind altering in the handling department. The 911 is a great sports car and does everything well, but its sort of boring till you jump up into the GT3 range. The Evora will have you smiling all the time and when you drive it up twisty mountain roads you will be outright chuckling to yourself at how well it handles. The steering is like nothing Ive ever witnessed, which is a blessing and a very small curse. You def. have to pay attention and drive the car. The steering is so good that you just look at a line or loose attention and the car is going in that direction. The suspension for an old school non electric system is mind boggling compliant even with 20" wheels out back and 19" in the front. But the car will go through corners at stupid speeds and still ask for more. Corners you would be slowing down for in a 911, you're actually speeding up for in the Evora. The HVAC in the Evora is old school turn dials but it works. I never messed with the hvac in my 911 anyway, just left it on 73 auto all the time, so having a nice HVAC system is less important to me in a sports car. The Stereo is honestly much better sounding than I expected. Its not as good as the 911 but its not far off and its miles better sounding than my wifes new Audi S4. The seats are great. The cabin is tight but cozy and is more visually appealing than the 997, but visibility is def lacking compared to the 911. But the 911 is a great sports car and im sure ill own another one. Its also a great sports car for people that dont want to draw attention to themselves. You seemling blend right in in a 911. Not to many people even give them a second look. Thats not the case in the Lotus. I walk out all the time and people are taking pictures or selfies with it. Ive had people follow me into my neighborhood because they wanted to know what it is. Its gorgeous and def attracts attention.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:10 AM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Default New Lotus Evora

Great report, dustinr. Was wondering if you've ever driven a Cayman, which is a car often compared to Evora. If so, how you'd compare them, in terms of ride & handling...T

Quick Reply: New Lotus Evora