Notices

Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Z06

Read the reviews, watched the Jay Leno segment, but it was not until I saw it in convertible form at the auto show in Boston today that I was seriously impressed. The finish was a very dark grey or metallic black that worked well. Don't like it enough to switch from my 991 TTS, but it was very impressive and a candidate for a track car. According to the R&T review the car has very impressive electronic dynamic/handling aids, which I would think are necessary with such a potent (650 hp/650 lb ft) engine. Will be interesting to see comparisons with the TTS, although it only turned a 3.3 sec 0-60 time in the R&T article so would be about seven car lengths behind the TTS, again based on R&T numbers.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default nope

posted sub 3 second run to 60 in none manual (gonna say 2.8 if I recall, magazine at home) .... the manual was 3.3... this in Autoweek

also saw at boston auto show... saw it also last year at NY auto show (yes the vert and coupe)

in darker colors is the way to go, in light colors too many black accents and car looks dare I say cheap.....so the darker silver my favorite and not a black car guy but in black I think would look nice,,

that said car was on a platform raised a bit from ground and much to far from public grasp IMO for a 78k base car... its not a Veyron. Also no viper at show? now hellcat? no NSX... show IMO was a let down...

The bulls ran that show and the only maker to deliver a real impressive showing... even Porsche was pretty lame.

next door at RV show one could have more fun

Originally Posted by AndrewP
Read the reviews, watched the Jay Leno segment, but it was not until I saw it in convertible form at the auto show in Boston today that I was seriously impressed. The finish was a very dark grey or metallic black that worked well. Don't like it enough to switch from my 991 TTS, but it was very impressive and a candidate for a track car. According to the R&T review the car has very impressive electronic dynamic/handling aids, which I would think are necessary with such a potent (650 hp/650 lb ft) engine. Will be interesting to see comparisons with the TTS, although it only turned a 3.3 sec 0-60 time in the R&T article so would be about seven car lengths behind the TTS, again based on R&T numbers.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Yes, the Boston show was very lame. Definitely not for enthusiasts. Can see a lot more any weekend just by visiting the dealers where you can actually test drive most cars and at the very least sit in them.

Just read the AutoWeek review and would be interested to know what the 991 TTS runs at Road America. I am sure that there will be drag races with the TTS and Z06 on YouTube soon. A stock 991 TTS even without MPS Cups should beat the Z06 0-60 and in the quarter mile. After than the Z06's torque would allow it to pull away. Love Porsche's, but for around $105k could get a well-optioned Z06 that would be a blast on the track with 50/50 weight distribution and progressive oversteer. Might not beat the well-driven 991 GT3's of TTS's, but for two-thirds to half the price not a bad deal.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/2...inutes-7725122

6:59:13

Still a rumor so take it with a little grain of salt,but incredible if true!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:38 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/1/2...inutes-7725122

6:59:13

Still a rumor so take it with a little grain of salt,but incredible if true!
It would not surprise me if it turned that time. The video shows a passenger, which I assume was on the same run as the time posted. Even with the extra weight it is a beast.

Every review talks about the impressive electronic stability/handling controls, as well as the impressive mechanical and design components. It is a few inches wider than a 991 TTS, which to me is noteworthy, aside from its other features. As I mentioned, it is an attractive candidate for track work, although would not work for me as a touring vehicle. Might be worth waiting for the Ford GT, the NSX and the i8S, but the value of the Z06 is spectacular given that the others mentioned will be well above $150k. Doubt if the engineers at Porsche are surprised by the Z06 or the others mentioned. Certainly puts the AMG GT in a tough spot competitively.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I doubt they've attempted a Ring time with a passenger. The article is mentioning that the video is to be released soon... Pure speculation on my part,but that's probably just a teaser from last year...
Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

FWIW,Chevy is now denying the report :

http://jalopnik.com/corvette-chief-e...ime-1682322557
Old 01-28-2015, 03:32 PM
AndrewP
Pro

Got to respect Chevy for being stand-up with their denial.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gtr baby!

Last edited by kosmo; 02-04-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Z06