Notices

Big Muscle or Precision Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 12:36 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts
Default Big Muscle or Precision Power

This corner of Rennlist seemed most appropriate for this post, curious to get opinions from all Pcar series.

Lately I've been pondering what my second fun car will be when the time comes, will keep my first 911. Let's say budget is $120k.

I've always had a thing for old muscle cars, never driven one but watch a lot of TV shows through the years. In a track weekend couple years ago I had an instructor with a modded Vette, he took me for a lap it....wow I felt nauseous for half an hour afterwards.....it was awesome. The power and torque is just so raw and the sound...wow. I took out an 09 Turbo when I decided on my car, that was awesome too, but in a more refined way.

Soo.....I was originally thinking a Cayman S or R or 997 Turbo or GT3 997.2/991. But now I'm wondering do I get a 13 Vette Z01, Hellcat, Viper SRT10 or Mustang 302. I've never driven any of these American cars, so no clue if I would like the drive. Then there's the interest in a 964, 993 and old muscle cars...but I think my interest in HP & Torque rules those out for now.

I would like this car as a fun drive car and track duty few times a year.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be on the Viper like there is no tomorrow.

Enough rawness... yet it gets props for a good manual trans and has some serious track creds. Looks exotic and has "it".

No doubt about it. I could never be associated with a Corvette. Viper all day 'n' night.

Hellcat is a novelty. GT3 in RS trim = maybe... but damn, I got a hard on for the new Viper.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:11 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I was invited to test the Viper and posted about it here . One problem was that "the " day had to turn out to be wet and icy . You can search it up in this forum from last year . One thing about it is that is a hand built car. You won't see one on every corner or lot .

The new Corvette is nice stuff. I just don't want GM . The HellCat is a unique enough car for what it is made for .

I 'd much prefer Ford for the big HP car. But that is just me . One is Ford is the only one where you can call up Ford Racing and have access to both parts and to people there who actually know what is what . From the factory that is and not a third party .

I don't know that it is true btw, but just today I heard that Fords next SVT will have over 750 Hp in it . My dealer here treats me great - I am going to keep my Boss 302 miles low . Just in case .

So while for me it is Ford , I think the Viper is the way if your like it . Has the exclusivity and the big motor too . There are probably more Corvettes manufactured in a year than there probably ever will be Vipers in total . I liked the Base better than the more expensive and more touring optioned GTS . They do ride very firm though . SRT increased the quality inside the car too - which is a general nag against Fords big brawlers.

I confess though that if you look at cars that I have liked in my life that a lot of those were long hood cars lol.

There is one noticeable change though . No question people like Porsche . But there are more muscle car guys out there . A lot more .

And another is , you know how other cars and boy-racers aggravate you in the Porsche - they want to race, they want to drag, they run on the back of you and try to bump up when they are next to you , and they are in some Honda or Toyota or something. This doesn't happen in muscle cars lol . I wouldn't race them anyway - but they don't even try it . They just wave and smile. I had exactly one guy ask me in the Boss. I said no . He said " Hey mister , how how how much you got in there . . ". I said " About 700 Hp . ." ( I lied ). He just nodded and smiled and drove away slowly .

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-16-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

One thing I like about the Boss , having had a 1970 Mach 1 in the 1970s, was the "similarity" of feel as I remember it . But make no mistake about it the Boss is light years ahead of the old cars in every way . The old cars had that nostalgia . These cars have true performance .

At over 100 that 70 Mach 1 would float on the road - the Boss can take that like it is out for a church drive . Suspension, motor, internals, build quality, handling, brakes, safety , all top notch. Doors , yes doors a big thing - the windows in the framless door in the 70 Mach 1 were prone to falling out, falling in , all of that . The first thing I saw was that frameless glass. Ah but Ford made it where it drops down until the door closes , then seals . Nice .

Here is a little thing too. How much did your extended warranty sell for from Porsche . I think ours was to be $7,000 and $4,000 for wheels and tire warranty . When I picked up the Boss I said I don't want that , but tell me how much . They said $1,400 . I said " For what . .?" For 7 year warranty coverage and wheels . I asked " From Ford Motor Co ? " figuring there had to be a catch . Yes from Ford . Give me that pen and checkbook lol.

Look at the amount of work and engineering Ford put in the RoadRunner 302 motor . And for a limited number of cars . SRT too with the Viper . I don't think that Porsche put that kind of work in to their cars. Or they didnt in the Cayman . Maybe some to insure it stayed behind the 911 lol . Even with that high rev limit of the Boss 302 , Ford is comfortable and confident with reliability of these cars and motors . It costs them less to replace it than a Porsche is one thing you hear . Maybe . A lot of 6 cylinder motors went in Caymans and Boxsters though. Only a few thousand Boss motors were built.

Today and right now is the Good Old Days in these cars . It can be over in a flash just like it was before when a Corvette had 190 Hp and the Mustang 2 came out . I don't want to see it again - or even think about it .

Last edited by TexasRider; 07-16-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:19 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo S is probably my upper limit because I lean towards controllable power. Not attracted to many muscle cars because it goes beyond that too easily - example, though some will love this, I didn't like how easily the rear wheels broke loose on a Viper test drive. Fast, fine. Axe murderer, no thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

The previous big power Corvette can really break the tires loose on you . A handful in spite of sitting low and less weight .

With the Viper and that big torque just put it in 3rd and drive out of the corner then stand on it .
Old 07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I had a 700rwhp mustang cobra for a lot of years. Fun car. Do I miss the thrust and the price of parts? hell yes.

Beyond that, I'm not really into muscle cars anymore. For me it was something I grew out of.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

The SVT Ford 750 Hp . . .

http://horsepowerkings.com/is-ford-g...p-svt-mustang/
Old 09-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're serious about high performance muscle go with Ford no question. Boss302 or a late model Shelby GT500 will cover everything you need.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Appreciate all the input....I definitely need to drive the cars in question, I'm sure that would help narrow the field. Unfortunately too many interests without Jay Leno coin.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Jsquared
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you're a legit prospective buyer you should have no problem getting test drives. Once you're at that level where the performance numbers are similar it comes down to the feel and attitude of the car, and you can't really gauge that without time behind the wheel.

Or get a Cayman with PCCB and put a GT3 engine in it
Old 11-03-2014, 07:06 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Or for something completely different...

I recently added a 68 Road Runner Hemi to the stable. It will never see a road course, despite featuring the best suspension parts available from Plymouth's cop-car parts bin. But man for driving around the neighborhood I have rarely experienced anything like it. Effortless wheelspin in every gear, an exhaust note like the Ride-of-the-Valkyries, and a physical presence like Shaq. Lot's of thumbs up from guys in trucks which isn't the reaction in a Porsche!
Yes that is a bench seat and yes the steering wheel is plastic. What about it?
Attached Images    
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^

I like it. Lots.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Hellcat

Hellcat!
Old 03-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if the Dodge Hellcat is a Novelty or the beginning of something far more Ominous. Something tells, ya know one of those tingling feelings you get on the Nape of your Neck. But knowing how Ford is they won't let Something like this just slide by without some form of retaliation.

I cannot help but think that the v another Horsepower war have started with this Hellcat. What I don't get is why Dodge just didn't put their V10 in it Cyy5 not enough space perhaps.

As for Chevrolet I would be surprised if they would want go get fully onto such undertaking. I figure Chevy will just sale their crate motors and transmissions (with a little help of tuner's along the way). I can see Ford coming out with some "Shelby" version; and don't be surprised if the car isn't a Mustang. But by that same token with the Mustang FINALLY getting an independent suspension.

Ford finally needs a Vette competitor and a fully independent rear-end isn't it.
/end tangent...

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 03-11-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Big Muscle or Precision Power