RB XR70 brake pads test review

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:45 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RB XR70 brake pads test review

Finding the right combination of brake pads for track and street can be challenging for high horse power cars like our Z06. Recently I switched from factory Z06 ceramic rotors to RB steel rotors with endless ME20 brake pads and they were great on the track and it was good to have brake modulation again. Endless make very good brake pads, they are easy on the rotors and last a long time. The draw back is that it's very expensive - twice the price as other brand and noisy on the street.

Warren at RB performance brakes told me about the positive feedback of their XR70 compound with various high power race cars and I decided to give it a try. My past experience when it comes to brakes include GT3 RS, Cup, E46 M3, civic challenge racer and Z06 - this include both factory ceramic rotors for Porsche and Z06 and various steel rotors. Brake pads range from OEM to pagid racing compounds (pretty much tried them all!), Hawks, performance friction, Brembo (similar to pagid) and few other misc brands. I am very family with both ICE mode and brake fades and hope not to experience them often

The RB XR70 brake pads are fronts only for the CCB rotor spec and I use endless ME20 on the rear.

RB XR70 back plate was 6.60 mm and the brake pad total thickness was 17.71 mm which means the actual pad material thickness was 11.11 mm

The backing fit perfectly and swap was super easy. The rotor marks on picture below was left by endless ME20 brakes pads after both street and track use. The inner pad width is slightly less than OEM with backing plate design that follow the inner rotor diameter.

How does the brake pad feel? Fantastic! It was noticeable right away while bedding the brake pads. It is not noisy and without the shrieking squeals of endless ME20 brake pads. Track test at Thunderhill demonstrated excellent brake modulation and fantastic braking power on par with the best Pagid, Hawk and endless pads without ANY fades. There were other corvette at the track running under the same condition - one C7 vette experience significant fade with OEM rotor and aftermarket pads. From the look of the C7 pads it demonstrated signs of over heating and better cooling should improve his brake performance. Another modified C6 Z06 with 590+ hp at the wheel running stoptech trophy brakes with racing compound that was chasing my Z06 shown in video below also experience brake fade. The combination of RB rotors, XR70 pads with OEM cooling duct and Motul RBF600 brake fluid was sufficient to produce fade free braking lap after lap. I found myself braking way too early and would have gotten more comfortable with the brake pads with more laps under the belt

Track test video - testing was cut short after a M3's untimely stop at T4 at end of video

Brake pad dust on wheel was less than endless ME20 and after three fast pace session with more frequent brake use due to heavy traffic the brake pad thickness was reduced by 0.65 mm. Consider starting thickness of 11.11 mm these brake pads should last 6+ track events running 5 sessions with my car setup and track condition

when new

after three sessions

rotor wear pattern was even

Overall I am very happy with the RB XR70 test results :thumbs:

Quick Reply: RB XR70 brake pads test review