Notices

For all of you who don't DD their GT3s, time to get rid of those silly little VW GTIs

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 01:35 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
To me those two cars are too much alike. Everyone who knows how to hold a hammer that's a homeowner needs at least one truck and in "feet of snow" AWD truck is the cat's Heiney.
Which two cars? They're all sports cars which accel at different things individually better. I own a home, and I hold hammer both at work and at home. I still don't want a truck. It doesn't snow where I live. Even if it did, I'd just put snow tires on my BRZ, like I did with my cars when I lived in Michigan. I'm not saying trucks don't serve a purpose. Just not for me.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was just making reference to a lot of folks who buy the VW GTI, or other variant of said car for their DD while their GT3s or TT's sit in the garage. And don't get me wrong the VWs are a blast. I just finally broke down and test drove the Scion since there were no Subarus in sight.
there is some chatter that the Subaru has tweaked their suspension to handle more "Sports" like.

That and there are already Supercharger and Turbocharger kits out there running around for some $3000-$6500, sometimes installed by the folks, reputable, you buy them from.

You only really have to bother with maybe an increased fuel injector if you want to go over 350BHP and new exhaust.

And of course some 18" rims all around with a good 8.5"-9" width tire since the stock 17"x7" wheels can make you throw the car out like Jeremy Clarkson.

And just to note, no Scotch here, im in both AA and NA.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I was just making reference to a lot of folks who buy the VW GTI, or other variant of said car for their DD while their GT3s or TT's sit in the garage. And don't get me wrong the VWs are a blast. I just finally broke down and test drove the Scion since there were no Subarus in sight.
there is some chatter that the Subaru has tweaked their suspension to handle more "Sports" like.

That and there are already Supercharger and Turbocharger kits out there
Old 12-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Further, after a few years as folks get tired of a specific model car there is already chatter that Subaru will put a Turbo or Supercharger on the car bringing it up to around 265 BHP+.

For me I wouldn't wait that long and I would just give myself about another $10K for some type of forced induction, injectors and exhaust. I imagine the Catalytic converter should be more than adequate for such a deployment.

No silly giant car handle a Giant can pick up the car with. Some simple lips. Im not too much into the flashy crap.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
No silly giant car handle a Giant can pick up the car with. Some simple lips. Im not too much into the flashy crap.
I'm still trying to figure out what language this is in. Superficially, it looks sorta similar to English.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

No silly SPOILER that belongs on an IMSA GT car. My dad called them "Car Handles" because thats where the 100 foot tall giants pick up the fast n furious fart-can exhaust cars after they are done playing with them.

Sorry for the confusion. Not everyone gets the "INSIDE STUFF" especially when they ain't from the inside.

Truthfully when I just read that this morning I was trying to figure out what i said too.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Oh and LIP, i was referring to a LIP spoiler. Have to love when I write fast and on my Mobile; Ambiguity abounds Alas.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:42 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

perhaps a simple increase in displacement to say 2.4 or 2.5L will help w/ what this car's missing-torque.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Jsquared
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Scion is a bit more "oversteery" for the drifter crowd, but from what I've read the Subaru's more moderate setup it's actually a bit more stable on higher speed corners and easier to get a better lap time. Subaru has more base and optional equipment as well.

It definitely needs more power, but the part that keeps me from liking it is that it is rather nose-heavy for a car with such a short engine.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:41 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Or a Type R Integra

[QUOTE=Tacet-Conundrum;10980693]... get yourself either a Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS/QUOTE]

Nice car but you could also save 80% percent of your outlay and get a late 90s Type R Integra.

Modern tires make it hard to compare old performance tests against new ones but when Car and Driver tested an FRS (~BRZ/86) on less cutting edge Bridgestone Turanzas, it's performance married up very closely:

2016 Scion FR-S on Bridgestone Turanzas gave: 0-60 6.4sec, 0-100 17.6 secs, Top speed 139mph (quoted elsewhere), 1/4 mile 15.4, skidpad .86, 70-0 in 177ft

1997 Integra R on its 1990's tires: gave: 0-60 6.6sec, 0-100 17.9 secs, Top speed 143 mph, 1/4 mile 15.2, skidpad .88, 70-0 in 164ft

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review

Looks and comforts go to the newer car of course as does the rear wheel drive layout, though the Integra is still widely regarded as one of the very best handling front drivers made.

Disclosure - written by one of the owner-drivers of an Integra GSR race team running a '93 and a '94 in an entry level race series with typically 40 car grids.
And really just pointing out that despite the 20 odd years between them, both the compared cars are fun, driver focused machines. Even when in the 996 Turbo I love checking out the styling of the 86/BRZ/FR-S though.

I'm with those saying 'add the supercharger' though, for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply: For all of you who don't DD their GT3s, time to get rid of those silly little VW GTIs