GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]

Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]

Guys, here I am posting what happen to my rear right wheel one month ago. the reason why I am holding that "panic" was due to following a professional procedures. let me explain my story in a time frame format below:

FEB 1st:
Collected my car from PORSCHE Center of Bahrain, with a note from the garage manager that one of my wheels ( Rear Right ) had a minimal "hit/bend" in the center drum of the wheel. I have seen it, it was weird to me because I was sure that I have not hit anything during the event before. (my car is 90% driven in circuits) .. so, I assumed that I may ran over something on road. which is something possible.

FEB 3rd:
After attending the yearly race event GULF RUN , and having a great fun in Bahrain International Circuit. the rear right wheel got totally damaged, while loading my car on to the trailer. I have seen something unbelievable !! 8 mysterious bends .. its looks weird and unusual and I was pretty sure it is a defect on the wheel.

FEB 18th:
Car reached Kuwait PORSCHE Center (my home country) .. the garage manager was also surprised so he have opened a case accordingly.

FEB 23:
I have got a verbal answer from Kuwait, thats why I have taken the subject to our regional center PORSCHE Middle East.

March 14th:
I have been waiting the official answer from PORSCHE AG .. and it was surprisingly negative, and they have not done any NDT test or an investigation. they have based their answer on the video below:

Video 1 link:

Video 2 link:

obviously I am using a thin masking tape to highlight the bends on the barrel.

the email reply below:

"The damage is caused by External influences AND overstress" .. may I know what kind of stress the PORSCHE GT wheels can NOT handle ? .. I am one of the very active members in the region. I never mentioned such negative subject to public or social media. thats why I am here asking for thoughts and opinions.

Important NOTES:

1) it is the only wheel that has such damage .. the remaining 3 wheels are perfect !.
2) I run 28 psi minimum pressure for time attack laps, optimum pressure is 31psi for me.
3) I go over curbs as the regular practice in circuits.
4) I maintain my car and drive it in a decent way, noting crazy that could lead to such severe damage.
5) no single car got such damage in the super smooth and clean Bahrain international Circuit.
6) I am not asking for warranty. I am asking an answer to keep me believe that PORSCHE is a reliable car on track. I am moving to lightweight BBS because PORSCHE OEM GT wheels can not handle stress.

Findings:
1) The bends are uniform as Montblanc logo shape.
2) the
wheel had only one bend initially .. but after GULF RUN event, the additional 7 bends came later and surprisingly following the same uniform pattern !! (completing the Montblanc logo shape).
3) the distances between bends are equal.

thats all folks, any thoughts ?

[UPDATE]

MAR 26th

One of my friends was in yesterday's Nurburgring VLN Race .. He have asked PORSCHE test drivers .. read his message below:

I think it is obvious now !!!

Last edited by ASM_GT4; 03-26-2017 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Uploaded new video
Old 03-20-2017, 09:49 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

Wow...that's really strange (and sad!).....is the damage located on the same area of the rim or are they spread around the rim? If it's the later you have a better chance of proving it could be a manufacturing defect. Also, are they located on the edges or the center? This is the first I have seen. I also run over curbs which I know are smooth and well designed on the tracks down here, so far I haven't seen any problem like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:52 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Positive spin....at least it wasn't the shock towers?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Am I seeing it correctly--a wavy warping of the inner barrel? If so, that's bizarre. I've never heard of that happening to an alloy wheel. Cracked spokes, yes, or a bend in the inner or outer edge of the barrel/rim, yes. But that looks like a total collapse/failure of the entire barrel section into itself. Keep us updated on your findings.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Thank you, I didn't see past the spoke until you mentioned it.
I would get a pair of calipers and start measuring material thicknesses at different points. Could provide the proof the material was too thin in some spots and deformed hence a manufacturing defect.
Originally Posted by paradocs98
Am I seeing it correctly--a wavy warping of the inner barrel? If so, that's bizarre. I've never heard of that happening to an alloy wheel. Cracked spokes, yes, or a bend in the inner or outer edge of the barrel/rim, yes. But that looks like a total collapse/failure of the entire barrel section into itself. Keep us updated on your findings.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:28 AM
sdillon
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, this is pretty alarming. I'm not sure what to do with the information given that Porsche denies anything in the manufacturing process. Sorry this happened to you, and I'll be looking at my wheels much more closely before and after track days from now on! I definitely use the curbs, too.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:09 PM
otisdog
Pro

Would like to see a picture of the other side of the wheel while it is off of the car.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:32 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

That is some weird wild stuff, I'd also like to see if it was machined too thin and warped under heat load.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

That is completely insane. I've never seen anything like it. Is there any bending on the inner side of the wheel lips where it meets the sidewall?

The center portion of the barrel has no physical contact with anything except air. When you hit something hard, the first thing to go would either be the tire sidewall or the lip of the wheel where the compression forces are the greatest.

Having just the barrel portion deform like that would tell me either a manufacturing defect or you were driving around with zero air pressure and hitting every curb for miles. And we know the second thing isn't possible!

If I was Porsche you would have a new wheel the next day while I get the engineers to examine that wheel with a fine tooth comb.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 PM
IMOA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really surprised that Porsche didn't want that wheel back very badly
Old 03-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I'm surprised it didn't crack. They are cast aluminum.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:48 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it kinda looks like it landed on some thing .....inside is bent too.....but i would expect the tire to be hurt. been driving/landing tireless on a railroad track. in any case it is amazing it is not cracked some place
Old 03-20-2017, 05:50 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Wow...that's really strange (and sad!).....is the damage located on the same area of the rim or are they spread around the rim? If it's the later you have a better chance of proving it could be a manufacturing defect. Also, are they located on the edges or the center? This is the first I have seen. I also run over curbs which I know are smooth and well designed on the tracks down here, so far I haven't seen any problem like this.
it is indeed, thats why I am asking for thoughts if any one have seen something like that.
- bend are located on the center of the wheel barrel.
- they are spread around the wheel in a weird pattern. kinda material defect.

if you have not seen the video, here it is (
)

thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 03-20-2017, 05:54 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by paradocs98

what you have seen is correct .. only wrapping in the inner barrel .. the rest is perfect, the remaining wheels also had no single bend .. add on that, the rear LEFT takes the most stress (soft curbs) , and it has no single bend. !
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thank you, I didn't see past the spoke until you mentioned it.
I would get a pair of calipers and start measuring material thicknesses at different points. Could provide the proof the material was too thin in some spots and deformed hence a manufacturing defect.

Man just in case , have a look at the video (which had a problem showing early today ... and it is obvious that the inner barrel was the only damaged part .. the rest is perfect. on the other hand, I expect PORSCHE to do NDT (Non Destructive Test) ,, I am keeping the tire on the wheel so they can have a better info from the perfect tire condition. but, it is a good idea if I can measure the thickness from outside, I'll ask the paint shop nearby to lend me thickness measurement tool. and keep you posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]