Sponsored by: APR

Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 PM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IMOA
Not that it's worth much but this is where I would be which then resulted in the buckling. It's also why I really don't understand why Porsche don't want the rim back. It's a very important safety component on one of their halo cars which is produced by and external supplier and at the very least has a pretty descent chance of being a manufacturing defect and could (would) have led to a catastrophic failure causing a serious accident. Someone had a serious brain fade back at Porsche HQ.

+100 ... this is a professional reaction. well said
Old 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you tried weighing both wheels?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One way to eliminate the turning is to buy another wheel and go to the track. My guess is that the new wheel does not bend. COTA is a FIA track and I am all over the curbs...for a lot of laps. No visible damage. Sorry to see this.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:32 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
Great way to easily see, wonderful suggestion
but OP stated did not want to dismount tire to show Porsche nothing was monkeyed with or even caused by the dismounting

Originally Posted by ASM_GT4
We are in the same page .. I am now 100% sure that "PORSCHE MOTORSPORT" reply lack of logic and professionalism. too quick and out of any physical/lab investigation #unfortunately .
Email this link to several Porsche employees in Germany, perhaps a different route will get the right person's attention
Old 03-23-2017, 01:54 AM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
smart input .. but as I said, I'm trying to keep as raw data as possible.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:02 AM
ASM_GT4
Advanced

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Great way to easily see, wonderful suggestion
but OP stated did not want to dismount tire to show Porsche nothing was monkeyed with or even caused by the dismounting

Email this link to several Porsche employees in Germany, perhaps a different route will get the right person's attention
This is the main purpose of this post, Any worthy contact ? I expect a DM if anyone have a specific contact.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 AM
PBJT
Intermediate

Someone on rennlist posted that the wheels are flow formed. The weight on a wide 20" wheel would also be a good hint as to whether it's cast or flow formed. If there's a manufacturing defect in this process, perhaps it could explain a weaker barrel while the spokes look fine.

Flow formed wheels are cast with smaller barrels, then the barrel is drawn out between two rollers to get the correct width. It saves money vs. a forged wheel, while saving weight and increasing strength vs. a cast wheel. It's kind of a middle ground for cost/weight between regular cast and forged wheels. Here's a video of the general process (skip to 3:10)

Old 03-23-2017, 03:35 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I'm surprised it didn't crack. They are cast aluminum.
I thought 996-997 GT3 wheels were cast and 991 GT3 and GT4 wheels were forged?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:44 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by Yargk
...and 991 GT3 and GT4 wheels were forged?
You're half right.

Even though the design looks similar, the GT3 are forged and the GT4 are not.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
You're half right.

Even though the design looks similar, the GT3 are forged and the GT4 are not.
I'll be damned. Missed that fact somewhere along the way. I know it's a late reaction, but that strikes me as a little dishonest because with such a similar design, I'd think it would be natural to assume similar construction.

Last edited by Yargk; 03-23-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:12 AM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by PBJT
Someone on rennlist posted that the wheels are flow formed.
For anyone that missed it, this is the older thread that confirmed the flow forming process: https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8971...ls-forged.html
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I've seen a lot of cases where the spokes shear off crappy OEM look-a-like wheels. You're driving a 150K car, and you buy 700 dollar/set knock off wheels for the track....don't understand it.
I've thought the same thing. Always scratched my head when my fellow E90/92 M3 drivers would run cheap Chinese-made Apex wheels on track.

Originally Posted by ASM_GT4
Man I like the analysis you've done in the previous post .. the yellow marks made it very clear that the bends are identical. great stuff.
I really appreciate your scientific brainstorming .. keep it up guys and I will provide more info so we can have a very interesting investigation/R&D post !!
It's like CSI: Bahrain.

Someone on rennlist posted that the wheels are flow formed. The weight on a wide 20" wheel would also be a good hint as to whether it's cast or flow formed. If there's a manufacturing defect in this process, perhaps it could explain a weaker barrel while the spokes look fine.

Flow formed wheels are cast with smaller barrels, then the barrel is drawn out between two rollers to get the correct width. It saves money vs. a forged wheel, while saving weight and increasing strength vs. a cast wheel. It's kind of a middle ground for cost/weight between regular cast and forged wheels. Here's a video of the general process (skip to 3:10)

https://youtu.be/8ou1tmWeATI?t=3m12s
Very cool process to watch.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:51 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by IMOA
...I really don't understand why Porsche don't want the rim back. It's a very important safety component on one of their halo cars which is produced by and external supplier and at the very least has a pretty descent chance of being a manufacturing defect and could (would) have led to a catastrophic failure causing a serious accident. Someone had a serious brain fade back at Porsche HQ.
Indeed. I was trying to imagine Porsche HQ must be barraged with all types of "crap" coming from customers and dealers and must not be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Some of the other links you guys added are great...love the guy in Germany that says the German language is very precise and engineering-like and if the GT4 wheels were forged they would say so because that's how they think. Flow-forming video is cool; must give properties similar to forging. Working (deforming) the metal strengthens it with proper heat treat (usually at the expense of it becoming more brittle/less ductile)...after seeing it, I suppose they may not need a final machining pass on the barrel.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM
porscharu
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://youtu.be/8ou1tmWeATI?t=3m12s
What a wildly inefficient display of automation. I can only assume this was the initial run with the process engineer taking pictures with his phone. A good illustration of how not to increase productivity through automation.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe in the AP interview from EVO on YouTube AP says the GT4 wheels are forged (GT4 release video)

Quick Reply: Mysterious damage to my OEM GT4 wheel .. any thoughts ?! [New Video uploaded]