Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Bridgstone RE71R

Old 03-11-2017, 04:48 PM
BRNGT4
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bridgstone RE71R

So after trying the cup2's, 2 sets of dunlops, and the trofeo R on my GT4 i decided to try the new bridgstones RE71r. I have to say I am VERY impressed with this tire. It acts completely different from the other 3 tires. The grip is great and the wear on the tires seems to be better than the others. They seem to work much better mid-corner when you apply the power it grips much better and acceleration out of the turn is great. The first time i took them out on track i beat my best time by 1 second. It was confusing a i wasn't pushing very hard!! The tires seem to have made the car much more effortless to drive. Highly recommended. Oh and tire pressure hot at 35PSI as opposed to 30PSI hot for the others for optimum grip.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:07 PM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Where did you buy them? I cannot find them in Europe..and tirerack cannot ship them in Europe...
Thanks in advance mate
Old 03-12-2017, 07:40 AM
M3est
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too. I tryed to get them in Europe and no chance.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a performance summer tire.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:49 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BRNGT4
Oh and tire pressure hot at 35PSI as opposed to 30PSI hot for the others for optimum grip.
Interesting. I found 32 - 33 psi to be the sweet spot for me. 35 psi seemed a bit greasy to me.

Also, if you wear out one side before the other (e.g., the left before the right), don't be afraid to just swap the wheels from the left to the right and vice versa. Running them backwards is fine on the track. I would assume it would not be a good idea in the wet, but I don't know from experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

So after trying the cup2's, 2 sets of dunlops, and the trofeo R on my GT4 i decided to try the new bridgstones RE71r. I have to say I am VERY impressed with this tire. It acts completely different from the other 3 tires. The grip is great and the wear on the tires seems to be better than the others. They seem to work much better mid-corner when you apply the power it grips much better and acceleration out of the turn is great. The first time i took them out on track i beat my best time by 1 second. It was confusing a i wasn't pushing very hard!! The tires seem to have made the car much more effortless to drive. Highly recommended. Oh and tire pressure hot at 35PSI as opposed to 30PSI hot for the others for optimum grip.

So for track duty you would rate them higher than Trofeos? I'm going to buy a new set after the next event and the RE71Rs are really interesting since they are cheaper and so far the feedback is very good....on the other hand the Trofeos also have good feedback in terms of grip. If you had to pick, which way would you go?....no Hoosiers please as I like to use my car on the street also and trying not to find an excuse to buy dedicated wheels/tires for 6 events per year.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:52 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Interesting. I found 32 - 33 psi to be the sweet spot for me. 35 psi seemed a bit greasy to me.

Also, if you wear out one side before the other (e.g., the left before the right), don't be afraid to just swap the wheels from the left to the right and vice versa. Running them backwards is fine on the track. I would assume it would not be a good idea in the wet, but I don't know from experience.
I agree re the pressures... 33 psi all around.
What about flipping the tires from inside to outside. The outer sides of my tires are at about 20% left, while the inner portion is at 80% tread left. I'm wondering if it's worth $50-$100 to have the tires remounted/balanced to get an extra track day/weekend out of them. Will these tires perform decently down to the cords? How long before they heat cycle out?
Old 03-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

^^agree 32-33 ideal PSI for me as well. Car was planted all day yesterday at that psi.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:05 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
What about flipping the tires from inside to outside. The outer sides of my tires are at about 20% left, while the inner portion is at 80% tread left. I'm wondering if it's worth $50-$100 to have the tires remounted/balanced to get an extra track day/weekend out of them. Will these tires perform decently down to the cords? How long before they heat cycle out?
they perform to the cord
Old 03-13-2017, 04:22 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by pvgolfer
To me it was well worth it to get the tires swapped to extend the life of the tires.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:58 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Houston GT3
^^agree 32-33 ideal PSI for me as well. Car was planted all day yesterday at that psi.
I was also running at this PSI, and then there was a trackside tire monitoring "service" at my last event with Chin. They wanted $50 to test temps with a pyrometer, but I ended up getting a complimentary test over a couple of sessions. This was my first time experiencing this type of analysis.

Anyway, for my driving, at Road Atlanta, on a 70 degree Sunday, they tested temps of inner, center and outer on all four tires over two different sessions.

They found temperature swings over 20 degrees from inner to outer. They suggested I drop PSI into the high 20s, like 28ish, and so I did. What they found was much more even temps across the tire surface. I'm assuming that this results in more even wear across the tire. My tires look great and my lap times got a little better, even late in the weekend.

This is track day 4 or 5 on this set...

Front right....

Name:  20170226_133458_zpskiwxsfn0.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  266.0 KB

Left front always takes a beating at Road Atlanta, especially that outer edge.

Name:  20170226_133421_zps3gtdo7qo.jpg
Views: 3061
Size:  291.9 KB

Last edited by GeoJoe; 03-13-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Nice. Might list your alignment specs to go along with the temp derived hot pressures. Was rear the same pressures and temp?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:27 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I was also running at this PSI, and then there was a trackside tire monitoring "service" at my last event with Chin. They wanted $50 to test temps with a pyrometer, but I ended up getting a complimentary test over a couple of sessions. This was my first time experiencing this type of analysis.

Anyway, for my driving, at Road Atlanta, on a 70 degree Sunday, they tested temps of inner, center and outer on all four tires over two different sessions.

They found temperature swings over 20 degrees from inner to outer. They suggested I drop PSI into the high 20s, like 28ish, and so I did. What they found was much more even temps across the tire surface. I'm assuming that this results in more even wear across the tire. My tires look great and my lap times got a little better, even late in the weekend.

This is track day 4 or 5 on this set...

Front right....

Left front always takes a beating at Road Atlanta, especially that outer edge.

Nice wear, I kill mine after 3-4 track days. Maybe lowering the pressure will help?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

I think regardless of tires the stock alignment will destroy them. Need to adjust front caster and rear toe to make proper alignments.
Chet
Old 03-14-2017, 12:54 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Oh and tire pressure hot at 35PSI as opposed to 30PSI hot for the others for optimum grip.
you will gain another second by getting your tire pressure to 32-33

when I get to 35 I pit and let air out to 30-31 (always happens first session of day as I start 26-28 depending on conditions)

running 35-36 too long kills the tire; I did it on a set and it really does damage of 2 track days in a single session. lesson learned

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bridgstone RE71R