Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Radio Removal Shelf & Keeping Bluetooth. Solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Gibbens
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Removal Shelf & Keeping Bluetooth. Solutions?

I do not have PCM and the OEM head unit is worthless. Would prefer to have a little more storage for phone, wallet, ect.

I was thinking about buying the radio removal shelf and pair it with something like the Out of Sight Bluetooth unit?

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any other kind of solutions?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbens
I do not have PCM and the OEM head unit is worthless. Would prefer to have a little more storage for phone, wallet, ect.

I was thinking about buying the radio removal shelf and pair it with something like the Out of Sight Bluetooth unit?

Has anyone tried anything like this? Any other kind of solutions?
That does not make any sense to me. What is the function/purpose of the bluetooth unit and its pairing with an empty shelf?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Gibbens
Intermediate

For me, it's to gain some storage while retaining my ability to stream music/talk on the phone.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:17 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbens
For me, it's to gain some storage while retaining my ability to stream music/talk on the phone.
Stream to what? You think its just simply plug and play to any amp that is in the car without the control interface.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:25 PM
Gibbens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExMB
Stream to what? You think its just simply plug and play to any amp that is in the car without the control interface.
Stream through the out of sight unit to the OEM speakers. The unit from my understanding acts as the interface and sends out a Bluetooth signal. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

It it seems silly to me that I need to have the Porsche double din that occupies that large amount of space. If I could replace it with the radio delete cubby and a Bluetooth device to stream my music would be the best of both worlds. 👍🏻
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts

What ExMB is trying to say is that you will need an amplifying device between the BT receiver and the speakers.....unless there's a BT receiver with built in amplifier out there.....
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Gibbens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmartpr
What ExMB is trying to say is that you will need an amplifying device between the BT receiver and the speakers.....unless there's a BT receiver with built in amplifier out there.....
Ok, so the stock headunit houses the amplifier in this car? Did I read that correctly?

If that's the case, does anyone have an aftermarket solution? I figure there is room to fit one somewhere. Maybe floorboard behind the driver...
Old 02-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

It won't give you any room but you can remove the base OEM head unit and replace it with an Alpine or Kenwood unit of your choice. I did that in my 10 GT3. The amp is under the passenger seat and you can purchase an adapter harness that makes the process fairly simple. The new head units have just about any connection you could want and they even sound better with the stock speakers. Also, it's easily reversed. Had I ordered my GT4 I would have gone base radio and swapped out the head unit.

You never know. There may be some form of a basic preamp/amp which can be controlled by BT allowing it to work the way you want and use your phone. Check with a car audio shop or even dig into Amazon.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Did a search on Amazon and there is a bunch of BT amp devices for cars. You might find something here.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Gibbens
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Did a search on Amazon and there is a bunch of BT amp devices for cars. You might find something here.

Thanks for the link. That Kenwood one looks interesting. I'm going to pull out my headunit this weekend and see what the wiring looks like and level of difficulty I will encounter trying something like this.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Here's a shot of the amp removed from under the passenger seat. The smaller gauge wires, 20 gauge?, should match one of the plugs on the back of the head unit. I got the color codes for the speakers from a tech at my dealer. You might be able to unplug the amp in the floor and put a BT amp in it's place using the existing wiring. Obviously you'd want to check ii out before doing this.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
arod2051 (06-04-2022)
Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Please give me an update how this worked out.

Im receiving my GT3 any week now and want to do the same as TS here. Radio removal plus BT choice, that would really be the best thing for me.

I find the head unit just distracting.
The following users liked this post:
idonthaveamind (05-03-2022)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:49 PM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone on here succeded in retrofitting radio delete and bluetooth afterwards??
very thankful for update on this thread.
also if there is some genius eho knows if possible how to show the rearviewcam in the display on the dash would be great!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Do you have bose or the base radio? For 991.2, Bose has an amp, the base radio has the amp in the headunit as I understand it.

I have not done it (I have grown attached to CarPlay and Waze so the shelf remains in its box), but was planning on going to the shelf (but not Bluetooth).

Quick Reply: Radio Removal Shelf & Keeping Bluetooth. Solutions?