Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 gauge face swap

Old 01-17-2017, 04:34 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 906 Posts
Default GT4 gauge face swap

This is one of the mods I have been thinking of doing for a long time, but the mystery regarding 981 gauges and being afraid of damage always kept me from jumping into this. Suncoast had a FVD set made for the GT4 in Racing Yellow and I decided to jump. The quality is exactly as OEM and matches everything perfectly.

Since I haven't being able to find any info on this I decided to provide some info on the procedure. Bellow you have the pics and a short version of how to do it. If you need more detail let me know. Please be advise, you need patience and basic knowledge for this. I assume no responsibility if anything goes wrong when following these instructions and always take pictures as you do each part.

1. Disconnect the negative side of the battery...make sure it doesn't touch anything metal. Take out the left and right trims on the sides of the steering wheel.
Left side has a LED, unplug it. Use a plastic Prying tool.

2. Take out the top part of the steering column casing. You will find two microphones attached to the top. You can unplug them or pull them completely from the casing and leave them attached to the wiring.

3. Rear section of the top steering casing is separate and has a leather cover attached to the lower trim of the gauges. this sections snaps of, pull it back gently and now you can take out the steering casing.

4. Using a plastic prying tool start at the edge of the trim around the gauges. Start bottom left/right and work up...you will have to play a bit with this piece.

5. Now the gauge cluster is expose and is hold by 4 T25 screws...take them out. Slide the gauge cluster out enough so you can see the two rear plugs...the big blue one has a lever you pull down and you just pull the plug. The other one is a regular clip. Now the gauge cluster is completely separate and you can take it out.

6. Get a towel or microfiber towel so you don't scratch anything. Pull the **** for the lighting adjustment on the front of the gauges. On the back of the gauge cluster you will find several T15 (not sure on this size) bolts...take them all out and mark their location, you have different lenght. Final step to separate the gauge lenses from the rest are 3 top and 4 bottom clips...very easy to open them and everything pull apart.

7. Now comes the scary part...I only did the Tach as I wanted to maintain some color balance on the gauges. Using a very small flat head screwdriver GENTLY start prying the needle making sure you are not resting the screwdriver on the gauge face...there a little plastic section on the center bottom of the needle you can use. Work you way around trying to move the needle as little as possible. The mechanism has a stop so if you move it there's a solution but the needle is not keyed so it can go in any way. Once the needle is off the gauge face is held by the little plastic section on the center, play pulling one side first and then the other so the gauge comes freely off the taps on this section. NO glue or anything, the gauge face is held by these tabs at the center and the lenses.

8. Place the new gauge face on the gauge. Make sure it snaps ont he center section tabs.

9. If you are unsure about the needle position take a small plyer or tweezers. grab gently the center axle of the tach motor and turn counterclockwise....you wont be able to excerpt a lot of clamping power you just need to move it to the zero position counterclockwise. Once you do that re-install the needle. On my car the position of the needle was right on the edge of the first marker on the tach.

10. reassemble everything on reverse order......
Attached Images   

Last edited by jmartpr; 01-17-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks great!

Thanks for the detailed steps.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, that's some ballsy work. I would be in for a white or yellow face for my tach if I weren't scared ****less of the install.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 PM
kiger0183
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

that looks really really good. Bravo! Great writeup too
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

How much? Are they still making them?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks killer. Nicely done sir.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job! Could you also add a picture of the tools required?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys....let me get a photo of the tools as requested. To be honest, if you are careful and take it slow it's a doable job took me about 2-3 hours to do it.. FVD custom make them...takes about 2 weeks. This set was already at Suncoast and I jumped at the opportunity since it was on sale. You can contact Rhonda (FVD USA) or can also purchase them from Suncoast. You are looking at around $600 for the tach and speedometer, they only sell it as a pair. Color match is perfect and they can match any Porsche color. BTW....this mod and instructions work for all 981 platform cars.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:04 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Tools you will need for the job:

- Plastic prying tools
- small, long plyers
- assorted Torx bits and screwdrivers
- ratched wrench with extension
- Magnetic pick or telescopic magnet
- small flathead screwdriver
- Microfiber towel
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2017, 09:51 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Nice DIY, thanks!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:13 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Great work and explanation

...and I was impressed with myself for just installing this chrono surround. #sosad

Old 01-18-2017, 07:59 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Nice...is that the Chrono surround from Exclusive Options? I have several of their products. Really nice people to deal with and the product is excellent. BTW...FVD also makes the Sport Chrono face in matching color.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

You've got skill and courage. Nicely done.

Have to admit there are times I wish the GT3 and GT4 had the simpler and traditional white-on-black gauges with red needles used in base 991, as I don't think they can be beat for readability, but not sure I'd go to the trouble. If I ever did, this is the thread I'd come looking for first.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Looks good! Just pops!
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Can you read the tach okay in he daytime with the orange needle and silhouette numbers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 gauge face swap