Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts
Default PCM & iPhone

I have searched the archives and if i missed the answer, i apologize. Maybe...just maybe...in exchange for all of the information i have provided for public consumption on this forum, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY MY iPHONE WONT SHOW MY TEXT MASSAGES ON THE PCM!??!?!??!?

Is it that it works for the Android and not the iPhone?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

go to bluetooth settings, tap the PCM and turn on "Enable Notifications"
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks. I have tried this repeatedly. I have notifications turned on. I have been sync'd up to the phone and after new messages come in, nothing. I was told that if it's an iMessage it won't work but a standard SMS will but still, nothing. Do i need to update my PCM firmware?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:16 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Strange, turning on "Enable Notifications" is definitely the answer, which for some odd reason is off by default, and my Sep 2015 GT4 didn't need a firmware update, but there are some other things to check/be aware of:

- Are you sure you enabled notifications for the PCM entry in your Bluetooth pairing list rather than something else accidentally? Note that this is totally separate from the Notifications settings under the Settings app that control how they're handled on the phone itself, i.e. sounds, banners/alerts, lock screen display, etc.

- It works for both iMessage and regular SMS (but not messages from third-party apps like Facebook Messenger, etc.), and it also only works for messages you've received since the phone paired up; you can't view all messages stored on your phone.

- New messages don't just pop up on the PCM display. If you're in the map view you see a little envelope icon appear in the lower-left corner when a message arrives (in addition to a sound), which strangely isn't tappable. Instead, you have to go to the Phone section and tap THAT little envelope in the lower-left corner, which brings up any text messages you've received since the phone paired with PCM.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:51 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

To muddy it a bit more. With my wife's iPhone I tried turning on notifications and then sent a message and nothing showed up. Went back to notifications and it was off. Tried again with the same results. Never resolved.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:51 PM
jphughan
Drifting

^ Maybe remove the Bluetooth pairing from both the phone and PCM and start from scratch?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:57 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

I have seen lots of problems with iPhones and PCM when trying to get TXT messages and e-mail transferred between them. The local dealer Manager is one of those people and he gave up...on the other hand Android works perfectly with e-mails and txt except one time my PCM would reboot every 5-6 minutes when TXT was enabled, I had to do some adjustments on the phone itself and got it back working. If someone finds a solution for PCM+iPhone let me know so I can pass the word...
Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have seen lots of problems with iPhones and PCM when trying to get TXT messages and e-mail transferred between them. The local dealer Manager is one of those people and he gave up...on the other hand Android works perfectly with e-mails and txt except one time my PCM would reboot every 5-6 minutes when TXT was enabled, I had to do some adjustments on the phone itself and got it back working. If someone finds a solution for PCM+iPhone let me know so I can pass the word...
iOS devices do not transmit email over Bluetooth, which I'm perfectly fine with. I spend enough of my life plagued by email and don't need to ruin my time in my car dealing with it, plus given that emails tend to be much longer and much less time-sensitive than texts, reading them on a car display seems like you gain no real benefit for the increased distraction.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Is anybody driving the car or is their life full of distractions like reading texts, etc while driving. Safety first - keep eyes on the road. Please!

$0.02
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think it's an IOS issue. I appreciate everyone's feedback and it's good to know that i've done everything i am supposed to be doing. It's crazy because it works perfectly with my brother's Blackberry, just not the iPhone. Oh well. Good reason to leave my phone behind!

Originally Posted by ExMB
Is anybody driving the car or is their life full of distractions like reading texts, etc while driving. Safety first - keep eyes on the road. Please!

$0.02
Trust me...if the 7500 miles on that odometer could tell the stories of race track, street and dyno, they would be good ones.

And i'm trying to get this working so i don't have to look down at my phone!

Happy New Year buddy, i hope all is well!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:57 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I think it's an IOS issue. I appreciate everyone's feedback and it's good to know that i've done everything i am supposed to be doing. It's crazy because it works perfectly with my brother's Blackberry, just not the iPhone.
Can you grab someone else's iPhone temporarily just to help determine whether it's an issue with your own iPhone or the PCM?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

fwiw, messages and emails don't show up in my PCM either. I've got an iPhone 7 running the latest OS.

JPH: Any advice?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:13 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
fwiw, messages and emails don't show up in my PCM either. I've got an iPhone 7 running the latest OS.

JPH: Any advice?
Aside from the above suggestions of checking for the notifications preference inside the Bluetooth properties for PCM on the phone and the whole "delete from both sides and re-pair", the only thing that MIGHT help would be to go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings -- but be aware that that will also wipe out all of your stored WiFi networks, and I'm actually not sure it does anything at all for Bluetooth. Other than that, I've got nothing. This function has always been bulletproof for me across multiple cars, models of iPhone, and releases of iOS. Sorry!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:59 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Doesnt work w mine either. Just tried today. I also have Iphone 7 and newest software
Old 01-19-2017, 11:15 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,781 Likes on 4,774 Posts

You have to turn off bluetooth on the iphone, then turn it on, then enable notifications.

Quick Reply: PCM & iPhone