Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

IMSA - Continental Series

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 05:47 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@RaceDevelopmentCenter Great action on track today. Your battle with the Mustang was one of the best I have seen in long while. You had a great line and managed to close the door a number of times on the 'stang (it even touched your bumper without major incident). Keep it up and good luck on the season.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was some great racing today. Hopefully the RSR cars have a good result.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Great fun to watch today and thrilled that our little cars swept the podium.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 01-30-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM
gregp714
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RSR takes 2nd
Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Nice job CJ Ichiban!
Thanks! We had a long shot because of the McLaren's and Mustangs being incredibly fast but at the end of the day- endurance racing is about not cocking it up- and the other guys all did. What was interesting was that the winner actually punted off a mclaren and took them
Out of the lead but got no penalty...
Old 01-29-2017, 08:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For those asking- the MR Package:

Carbon stuff to lose weight
Side windows for better aero
Stock exhaust for quieter cars to pass EU sound
Air conditioning for lazy guys/ weight gain lol

continental developed a new tire closer to the Pirelli or Michelin that GT4 races worldwide- it's a better tire.

The wicker we run on our rear wing increases drag by a lot at Daytona. We used to have a 10M gurney wicker or 12M and now it's 22. Slows us down about 3-5mph in combination with way bigger chunkier tires.

Also, we are running 200 lbs of ballast so if you want to speed us up, just let us throw the lead away. No way I'm paying for 40lbs of weight loss with carbon hood and doors etc. Totally against the spirit of the class.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:15 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Now I'm

I always thought the MR package was developed to shed lbs and make the car more competitive in class. But you are saying you have to carry a 200lbs weight penalty.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I thought the MR package also include shock/spring changes?

race:
the mustang seemed way faster and only didn't win because of two drive through penalties which I think both were for pit violations.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

continental developed a new tire closer to the Pirelli or Michelin that GT4 races worldwide- it's a better tire.

The wicker we run on our rear wing increases drag by a lot at Daytona. We used to have a 10M gurney wicker or 12M and now it's 22. Slows us down about 3-5mph in combination with way bigger chunkier tires.

Also, we are running 200 lbs of ballast so if you want to speed us up, just let us throw the lead away. No way I'm paying for 40lbs of weight loss with carbon hood and doors etc. Totally against the spirit of the class.
I am so glad to see proper size tires on these cars, as originally engineered for. The low profile conti's were ridiculous.

Didn't realize that much ballast was being used, that's actually great news. More performance yet to be tapped.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:58 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Now I'm

I always thought the MR package was developed to shed lbs and make the car more competitive in class. But you are saying you have to carry a 200lbs weight penalty.
He's talking about last year's Clubsports that are continuing in the series. The Body Motion, GTM and Wilson cars. The old cars with a year of development under their belts.

The new MR runs almost exactly as delivered.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:56 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CJ Wilson - Thanks for all the additional detail. As an aside, I enjoyed your commentary in the late hours of the Rolex 24 at Daytona with the RadioLeMan crew. I was very impressed with your technical comments and how you viewed the action on track - it is exactly how some fans watch to discuss racing. Great stuff! We are all looking forward to Sebring and be sure to remind everyone how to watch.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ML///
CJ Wilson - Thanks for all the additional detail. As an aside, I enjoyed your commentary in the late hours of the Rolex 24 at Daytona with the RadioLeMan crew. I was very impressed with your technical comments and how you viewed the action on track - it is exactly how some fans watch to discuss racing. Great stuff! We are all looking forward to Sebring and be sure to remind everyone how to watch.
thank you!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:03 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mvez
I am so glad to see proper size tires on these cars, as originally engineered for. The low profile conti's were ridiculous.

Didn't realize that much ballast was being used, that's actually great news. More performance yet to be tapped.
the larger tires and the larger rear wing make the car's top speed a little less per track but now we can take the infield kink almost totally flat where before that would have been impossible on those little conti rear tires.

our new rear tires are 305 sections with larger sidewalls like a true GT car vs the previous 275s. This also has an effect of increasing the size of the rolling diameter which is easier on the ABS systems. Also, less air gets in the wheel wells now and so it's a lot more stable car to drive...basically now it's the way that porsche originally intended to deliver it.

in regards to BoP weight-

the MR package makes ZERO sense for anyone in our series IF they already had the car...if IMSA wants us to speed up, just take some weight out. that's FREE!!

I really (and most team owners agree) that the reduction or increase in speed should not be borne at the expense of our wallets.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:31 PM
ChrisFL
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

the larger tires and the larger rear wing make the car's top speed a little less per track but now we can take the infield kink almost totally flat where before that would have been impossible on those little conti rear tires.

our new rear tires are 305 sections with larger sidewalls like a true GT car vs the previous 275s. This also has an effect of increasing the size of the rolling diameter which is easier on the ABS systems. Also, less air gets in the wheel wells now and so it's a lot more stable car to drive...basically now it's the way that porsche originally intended to deliver it.

in regards to BoP weight-

the MR package makes ZERO sense for anyone in our series IF they already had the car...if IMSA wants us to speed up, just take some weight out. that's FREE!!

I really (and most team owners agree) that the reduction or increase in speed should not be borne at the expense of our wallets.

This makes a lot of sense considering that this is a gentleman's racer series that want to keep the running costs low. It seems like IMSA has a lot of work to do to keep things even though, those McLarens and Mustangs have so much power, but if its anything like last year, the GT4s reel them in slowly with better braking, tire wear, etc...
Old 02-02-2017, 06:50 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

CJ what is with the different ride heights for the 2 Caymans? The difference strikes me as odd....

http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/de..._st_bop_f1.pdf

Quick Reply: IMSA - Continental Series