Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Market

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 02:53 PM
dave885
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 Market

I started out looking for a 997 GT3 and have migrated to the GT4. Have looked at ads and pricing for every GT4 for sale in the US at Porsche dealers, other retail outlets and private sellers (that I could find) and am trying to wrap my arms around pricing and looking for some insight.

It looks like the movement by a number of Porsche dealers with new listings is closer to original MRSP (+/- a little bit), including those with LWB's (and CPO*). I assume some of that is the winter factor. A number of other ads are looking for premiums over MRSP of "a little to a lot." Miles are generally all in the low range of under 5k.

Other than LWB's and possibly PCCB's (and people's differing profit motives/needs) what do people see as driving the pricing on GT4's right now.

Nore that all my experience with cars thus far has been viewing them as depreciating assets, so this it different for me.

* CPO is a plus, but with new car OEM warranty and most cars being a year or less old seems like warranty shouldn't be a big cost differentiator.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

tough to say since I don't follow the market anymore after picking up my GT4 three months ago, but I just have to say that this car is absolutely phenomenal. went for a drive yesterday and it was glorious. tough to imagine ever letting this one go - it's about as close to perfect as I could ask for.

best of luck with your search - I hope you find one.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:17 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Winter is a factor. I also think it may just be part of the inevitable trend toward option value evaporation. A 115k optioned car is going to sell at MSRP or less, a 90k optioned car might sell for a little over MSRP. (LWB will retain at the very least their option value though) Summer's not that far away

Last edited by Yargk; 01-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM
dave885
Track Day

Originally Posted by Brosef
tough to say since I don't follow the market anymore after picking up my GT4 three months ago, but I just have to say that this car is absolutely phenomenal. went for a drive yesterday and it was glorious. tough to imagine ever letting this one go - it's about as close to perfect as I could ask for.

best of luck with your search - I hope you find one.
So what was your decision process? Did you have a list of must haves and therefore it limited your choices? And did you find pricing choices similar to what I'm looking at relative to MSRP?

I will say that at first blush dealers are staying firm on pricing for their cars.

I am confident I can find one that works one me (just my **** retentive, ADD process vs. throwing caution to the wind).
Old 01-09-2017, 03:31 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I think you're right that dealers are closer to MSRP but I wouldn't count on it esp. for cars with LWB. I made some inquiries about trading mine for one with LWB and could never find a deal I liked.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:37 PM
dave885
Track Day

Originally Posted by tstafford
I think you're right that dealers are closer to MSRP but I wouldn't count on it esp. for cars with LWB. I made some inquiries about trading mine for one with LWB and could never find a deal I liked.
Swapping with a dealer always seems like it works like my investment decisions. Buy high and sell low!
Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by dave885
Swapping with a dealer always seems like it works like my investment decisions. Buy high and sell low!
Yeah, but buying OEM buckets on the aftermarket is even worse!
Old 01-09-2017, 05:49 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dave885
So what was your decision process? Did you have a list of must haves and therefore it limited your choices? And did you find pricing choices similar to what I'm looking at relative to MSRP?

I will say that at first blush dealers are staying firm on pricing for their cars.

I am confident I can find one that works one me (just my **** retentive, ADD process vs. throwing caution to the wind).
I had a few must haves (buckets and full leather) and some colors that would not work for me. aside from that, I was open.

I took my time (about 3 months total) and made a lot of phone calls. came across a few color / option combos that were real standouts. I ended up paying more than I probably should have, but I was happy to pay extra to get a spec that I was in love with. in the end, a few thousand isn't much to me when compared with making the wrong choice and trading the car in sooner. I'm happy with my choice and would do it again in a heartbeat.

be patient, but probably is good to pick one up before the spring thaw.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:08 PM
kiger0183
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Brosef

be patient, but probably is good to pick one up before the spring thaw.
Agreed. Pick one up sooner rather than later. No one is buying a $100k car right now to ultimately let it sit in a garage until April. (Unless you live in the south) Come spring, pricing will jump up a bit IMO as demand starts to increase again.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 PM
ciantosca
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine on rennlist in October. After a year long extensive search I found dealers were $5k or more over for cars with buckets. I found a great car just under msrp on here and jumped on it the first day. The car had many extras thrown in. So I suggest you learn all the options and make a list of what you want. Then just wait to find the right car on here and buy private party.

Good luck. Mine is resting till Spring but the month I got to drive it was incredible. Only thing that surprised me in a negative way is how loud the car is. Road noise on psc2 on highway makes ear plugs a necessity for me. I mention this because I did not see it mentioned anywhere before I bought.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:53 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

If you want a GT4, wait until after Geneva.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Kurt RSF
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ciantosca
I bought mine on rennlist in October. After a year long extensive search I found dealers were $5k or more over for cars with buckets. I found a great car just under msrp on here and jumped on it the first day. The car had many extras thrown in. So I suggest you learn all the options and make a list of what you want. Then just wait to find the right car on here and buy private party.

Good luck. Mine is resting till Spring but the month I got to drive it was incredible. Only thing that surprised me in a negative way is how loud the car is. Road noise on psc2 on highway makes ear plugs a necessity for me. I mention this because I did not see it mentioned anywhere before I bought.
How many miles were on your car when you bought it, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 PM
dave885
Track Day

Originally Posted by ciantosca

I'm used to letting certain of my cars rest most of the winter, but if roads are clear and not salty that's enough for me to try and get them out. The Z4M roadster doesn't get out in the winter at all unless it's top down weather.

My buddy let me drive his Carmine Red one and he has Fabspeed headers on it. Even that wasn't too loud for me, so think I'm good there.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM
dave885
Track Day

Originally Posted by RealityGT
If you want a GT4, wait until after Geneva.
Assuming they announce release the 991.2 GT3 with MT, so everyone can dump their GT4?

Or the next version of the GT4?

Or both?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:29 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default my .02 buy when u find one u like

LONG STORY

First time I thought about moving to a GT4 was 6 months ago, walked into the dealer to check out Macans and saw it. 107 orig sticker 108 asking with 900 miles, CPO and full front wrap which made this a really good deal. I was not a big fan of the color (Hadn't been considering a GT4 or anything at that time since I was happy with the 997.1S) by the time I decided to make an offer on it 3 days later, it was gone.

Kept looking/lurking but not serious until I actually drove one on a track the first week of DEC.

Really started looking after that with a few wants but nothing set in stone except had to have CPO and no yellow or white. What I found is that anything with low miles CPO and within +10% of MSRP was selling relatively quickly here in Socal (market seems softer in other parts of the country)

I found one local at 9% over with no CPO that was a CXX special order, I was trying to hardball the dealer for the CPO thinking nobody was buying just b4 Christmas. I was wrong, car got bought by the second person to see it (side note, dealer called me and offered me the deal first and I thought they were just BS ing me to get me to move quickly) I was not in love with this car due to a couple of the CXX options that I didn't like but it was special.

When I found my GT4 it was at a dealer a little over an hour from me and they actually had two with very similar options and miles etc. one blue one silver. I went down within 2 days of it showing up on there website and getting the info I needed. When I got there somebody else was working on a deal on the silver one (I really wanted this one) so I went about looking at the blue one and driving etc. The guy left to think about it and I ended up buying the silver one literally 20 min after he left. Funny thing is my sales guy called me the next day and told me that the guy came back to buy my GT4 and ended up getting the blue one since he had been snaked for the 3rd time while looking for a GT4.

Quick Reply: GT4 Market