Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Market

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Asking and selling price are not the same.
There are nice LWB GT4 for sale here in the classifieds. Not jumping off the shelves even at msrp or below. Above aren't moving.
RL does not define the market for GT4s. Only an enthusiast slice of it.
Again, see my experience. Sold just a couple weeks ago.
Individual sellers expecting to get over MSRP? Good luck.

If I'm a buyer I like RL.
If I'm a seller, I may advertise here but most likely sell other channels.

Reality is these are just cars. If you are expecting financial instrument performance get out of it now.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Gonzalo Sanabria
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that GT4s will probably never come back the same as the 2016 run, if at all, and the incredible performance it has ( I own one) ....anybody that really wants one has to realize that this car is special and wont depreciate like large-volume Porsches
Old 01-10-2017, 10:39 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzalo Sanabria
Given that GT4s will probably never come back the same as the 2016 run, if at all, and the incredible performance it has ( I own one) ....anybody that really wants one has to realize that this car is special and wont depreciate like large-volume Porsches
True, but the hard reality is they will still deprecate, at least for the next few years. carl
Old 01-10-2017, 11:00 PM
Gonzalo Sanabria
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
True, but the hard reality is they will still deprecate, at least for the next few years. carl
Well, you may be right but Im not sure thats going to happen for sure as one-run Porsches, almost all of them, especially GTs have appreciated to msrp and over, sometimes significantly over

Point is, if there are 2,000 GT4s in USA thats a really small number of GTs and there will be attrition through crashes etc. Also, given that they are essentially GT3s in a mid-engine and more compact body with same 3.8 engine, brakes and virtually all chassis parts the really attractive thing about the GT4 is the price being incredibly reasonable and the very special 6 speed manual fills a void that many of us wanted but couldn't get no matter how great the PDK is I love to shift and be more engaged and this little beast does it all.

I don't even care how many miles I put into it as the depreciation is far from my enjoyment value and most GT4 owners bought it to enjoy such a unique and rare experience
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM
ericdc
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking hard for one at all dealers east of the Mississippi in November and December. I specifically didn't want LWB or PCCB which should in theory have made them less expensive. The only one that I came across that was listed under MSRP was a crashed (repaired) silver one with a $91k MSRP advertised for $89k.

I called several dealers and put in offers but none of them were willing to entertain anything at or below MSRP. This is across a few different regions over a 6 week period.

Eventually, I found one in Cleveland with 1k miles for slightly over MSRP with the options/color I wanted. I called the day it was listed and they swore to me that there were 4 other lookers. I made an offer 2k below asking, deposit in hand to be picked up the next day that was rejected with a reply of basically "here is our final offer - take it or leave it" with a minimal discount.

I paid the deposit and its in my garage now waiting for spring. Any of them that get listed close to MSRP or <$105k seem to drop off of cars.com quickly and the greedy dealers asking $130k are still sitting on the same inventory 2 months later.

I have no illusions that they will stay above MSRP but from my recent experience, getting one at or under MSRP is not an easy task right now.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
You have a point. But just because they aren't moving isn't an indication of the price. I think it's more an indication of the demand... of course with a little price elasticity involved.

Those asks are a little ambitious. However, i believe the reality is, if you want a GT4 w LWB right now, you don't really have a choice but to pay over MSRP. Generally speaking, i don't know of anyone getting them @ MSRP, and definitely not under.

I don't see ANYONE offering theirs for under MSRP. When the time comes, would you (not sure about your mileage)?Heh, very funny. It should be that way. It's the interwebs after all!
When the time comes, I will be realistic about what my car is actually worth and will price it at what cars are actually selling for, not what the peanut gallery says it is worth. I can guarantee mine will be worth far below msrp when it comes time. I've seen time and time again people pricing cars at what the hand wringers tell them the car is worth, and the car sits like a rock. Price it properly, and the cars sell fast.

Originally Posted by Spyerx
RL does not define the market for GT4s. Only an enthusiast slice of it.
Again, see my experience. Sold just a couple weeks ago.
Individual sellers expecting to get over MSRP? Good luck.

If I'm a buyer I like RL.
If I'm a seller, I may advertise here but most likely sell other channels.

Reality is these are just cars. If you are expecting financial instrument performance get out of it now.
Rennlist does not define the market, but neither do the dealers. The dealers are a 'slice' as well. Yes, dealers might 'get away' with selling at a higher price, but that is what they always do. As each month passes, they are getting less and less.
I think we are on the same page here.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Corrado79
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dave885
So to summarize thus far.

Good things come to those who wait, but not too long, because the early bird gets the worm, as long as there are worms to be had and you don't get beat out by an earlier bird. Also, you can't take it with you and in the end we're all dead anyway, so just have fun.

Sounds like I definitely should:

1). Buy one now at $5k over MSRP, or
2). Wait and find the one under MSRP, since MSRP is dead, or
3). Wait until after Geneva Auto Show, or
4). Pray for divine intervention

Which leads me to believe what I'm experiencing in my search is what's really out there in the marketplace.

At least no one said don't waste your time since they're terrible cars (not that I expected that).

Appreciate everyone's input, stories and words of wisdom and happy to keep hearing it.
Pardon the noob, but what is the significance of the Geneva Show?
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 AM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Last 30 days

so we have 4 cars that were sold a few 1000 above MSRP 3 in cali and one east of the Mississippi within the last 30 days. Ultimately it comes down to color and options you want, plus the desire to have one that will dictate what a the going rate for a particular car will sell for.

All 4 through dealers, perhaps ppl feel a little more comfortable doing this when spending 100K? I for one specifically wanted CPO after reading about the 3 gear thing

Last edited by 06C2s; 01-11-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:30 AM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I 2nd this.

Originally Posted by 4carl
i disagree.

Well, you may be right but Im not sure thats going to happen for sure as one-run Porsches, almost all of them, especially GTs have appreciated to msrp and over, sometimes significantly over

Point is, if there are 2,000 GT4s in USA thats a really small number of GTs and there will be attrition through crashes etc. Also, given that they are essentially GT3s in a mid-engine and more compact body with same 3.8 engine, brakes and virtually all chassis parts the really attractive thing about the GT4 is the price being incredibly reasonable and the very special 6 speed manual fills a void that many of us wanted but couldn't get no matter how great the PDK is I love to shift and be more engaged and this little beast does it all.

I don't even care how many miles I put into it as the depreciation is far from my enjoyment value and most GT4 owners bought it to enjoy such a unique and rare experience
Agree. 100.

Originally Posted by ericdc
I was looking hard for one at all dealers east of the Mississippi in November and December. I specifically didn't want LWB or PCCB which should in theory have made them less expensive. The only one that I came across that was listed under MSRP was a crashed (repaired) silver one with a $91k MSRP advertised for $89k.

I called several dealers and put in offers but none of them were willing to entertain anything at or below MSRP. This is across a few different regions over a 6 week period.

Eventually, I found one in Cleveland with 1k miles for slightly over MSRP with the options/color I wanted. I called the day it was listed and they swore to me that there were 4 other lookers. I made an offer 2k below asking, deposit in hand to be picked up the next day that was rejected with a reply of basically "here is our final offer - take it or leave it" with a minimal discount.

I paid the deposit and its in my garage now waiting for spring. Any of them that get listed close to MSRP or <$105k seem to drop off of cars.com quickly and the greedy dealers asking $130k are still sitting on the same inventory 2 months later.

I have no illusions that they will stay above MSRP but from my recent experience, getting one at or under MSRP is not an easy task right now.
$1,000 over? nice... how many miles? money well spent. most won't go that low.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
When the time comes, I will be realistic about what my car is actually worth and will price it at what cars are actually selling for, not what the peanut gallery says it is worth. I can guarantee mine will be worth far below msrp when it comes time. I've seen time and time again people pricing cars at what the hand wringers tell them the car is worth, and the car sits like a rock. Price it properly, and the cars sell fast.

I commend you for that... but if you can afford to own and ring one out, you can also afford to sit on it as well. Time is money, but most rather get top dollar than quick sell. it's not a 911... it's a GT.

Rennlist does not define the market, but neither do the dealers. The dealers are a 'slice' as well. Yes, dealers might 'get away' with selling at a higher price, but that is what they always do. As each month passes, they are getting less and less.
I think we are on the same page here.
Originally Posted by Corrado79
Pardon the noob, but what is the significance of the Geneva Show?
Geneva Auto Show is when/where they announce new anticipated models. The talk of the show (esp around RL) is the .2 GT3. Many GT4 and .1GT3 owners are anticipating the .2 GT3 to be released in a MT. A new gen MT GT is a big deal, and would affect the GT market as a whole, esp the GT4, bc we are the only recent gen GT car with an MT.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 AM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
There is a post just below this with someone selling @ msrp with lwbs and pccbs..

forgot about this one. foot in mouth.

but this has PCCB, which most are trying to avoid bc for obvious reasons, and is kind of a pricey build.

Still a great buy imho. especially with the $ into this example.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my JBM GT4 (LWB) that I'm deeply considering selling. I have a dealer offer on the table at $100k. MSRP was $97680. 1000 miles on the car.

My goal is to rid myself of a payment on the 3rd car. I just use it currently as a date night car and here and there to work and such. So, I'm thinking I need to spend 40-55k on a replacement. I put enough cash down on the GT4 to cover that (maybe have to add a little). So, for a gently used P car, that puts me in Boxster S territory. Not sure how much I'll like that..but I sure will like zero payments for something getting so little use.

From what I'm seeing here...looks like a decent deal for both parties. I'm in it for $105k with taxes. Any comments//suggestions? Thanks all...always great advice and info here on RL.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
Geneva Auto Show is when/where they announce new anticipated models. The talk of the show (esp around RL) is the .2 GT3. Many GT4 and .1GT3 owners are anticipating the .2 GT3 to be released in a MT. A new gen MT GT is a big deal, and would affect the GT market as a whole, esp the GT4, bc we are the only recent gen GT car with an MT.
I agree with this... besides the GT4 (and the unobtanium 911 R) the next gen .2 release of a GT3 w/ a manual trans option will be highly sought after. Combined with the Motorsport's recipe of chassis/suspension and powertrain (i.e. a true GT engine) then this is a win-win especially if attainable at msrp.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:44 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I have my JBM GT4 (LWB) that I'm deeply considering selling. I have a dealer offer on the table at $100k. MSRP was $97680. 1000 miles on the car.

My goal is to rid myself of a payment on the 3rd car. I just use it currently as a date night car and here and there to work and such. So, I'm thinking I need to spend 40-55k on a replacement. I put enough cash down on the GT4 to cover that (maybe have to add a little). So, for a gently used P car, that puts me in Boxster S territory. Not sure how much I'll like that..but I sure will like zero payments for something getting so little use.

From what I'm seeing here...looks like a decent deal for both parties. I'm in it for $105k with taxes. Any comments//suggestions? Thanks all...always great advice and info here on RL.
An above MSRP offer from a dealer is great! I'd jump all over that. Particularly if you can get credit on the trade toward sales tax - that would mean zero tax on the next one! (either trade or pre-trade it)

While you may be able to get a bit more from a private sale, it will take time and effort. And many buyers would want the loan paid off first, adding complexity. I'd put down the computer and drive to the dealer. Or keep the car - there isn't anything out there as good!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

I cannot agree with this.
Same size, much different engine.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

I own one so i hope im wrong but the market is softening. What almost invariably happens with all of this stuff is eventually everybody that wants one has one then the rices drop. The pent up demand is over maybe sad but true..carl

Quick Reply: GT4 Market