Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber Motorsports

Old 02-17-2017, 09:48 AM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
This is true... they will bill you, per Petunia.
I'm sure it's true. I've been to Barber a number of times and would say that for folks doing PSDS it's unlikely they will have a bad enough off-track to incur damage to the landscaping. Stranger things have happened, but I'd say the odds are against it.

FWIW - Barber is awesome. I feel very lucky to be close to it. I have eight events already booked at Barber this season and wish I could do more. It's a great track for those of us learning the ropes of HPDE.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:23 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
I have decided to skip the performance class, as many here and in the GT3 thread recommended, and will do the 2 day Masters in March and 3 day RS course in November (2 worst weather months up here!)
IMO, you made the right choice. I think you would have been frustrated in Performance.

I did Masters in Sept, I have about 15-20 days (in my 76 3.2) in the past few years (plus Superbike, Karting and BMW M schools). They waived me in on my resume. By no means do I consider myself an advanced HPDE driver, more so a lower-mid intermediate.

My experience was that I was among the fastest in the class, and the instructors feedback was minimal. Even Hurley's was simply "No notes, keep doing what you're doing". If anything, that was my only gripe of the class was to feel like I didn't get much coaching. That said, I had a blast and will absolutely return for more. Enjoy!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:04 PM
tstafford
Rennlist Member

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

Sqweak - glad to hear you enjoyed it given your level of HPDE experience. I'm behind you on the learning curve.

Because I'm in Nashville, Barber is basically my home track. I have seven weekends plus Masters planned for Barber. My hope is that PSDS will actually shave time off my laps. I'm currently running in the 1:53 range on my best laps and I know I'm leaving a ton out there. The cool part is I have a Chin event immediately following April school so I'll see if I made progress.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:30 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 88 Posts

tstafford- Right on. I've been doing HPDEs on hard mode with a 40 year old car with meager horsepower and no power steering/brakes/abs or nannies. My hypothesis was that if I could get decent in that, I could drive anything. PSDS proved that out. Can't tell you how much fun it was to get point bys in the Boxster.

With your familiarity of the track, you definitely have an advantage on me. Looks like (from my highly imprecise "look at time when crossing start/finish" method) I ran about 1:50 in the 991S and 1:55 in the 981S. Sadly no video for the GT3RS or TurboS. Following up with more open track time seems like a perfect opportunity to check your learnings. have fun out there!

edit:
Got racekeeper working: 1:47.97 in 991S chasing the RS. 1:49.40 in GT4. 1:50.27 in a 981S.

Last edited by sqweak; 02-19-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: updated times from racekeeper
Old 02-19-2017, 08:29 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

My brother and I will be there March 16th and 17th.

Anyone else scheduled to be there those two days? If so, look forward to meeting you.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 221 Posts

Reviving this thread because it's about Barber... not in the school, but on the track with Chin and having a blast chasing down a couple of GA Tech Caymans... one a GT4 and the other a PDK Cayman S.

Didn't beat my personal best of 1:42ish... but still an awesome time.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:55 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree, this is one of the finest tracks available.
Please join the Alabama Region PCA for our fall fest @ Barber's - October 21 & 22.
Sign up at Clubregistration.net or click here: https://clubregistration.net/events/...cfm/event/8237
Old 09-12-2017, 04:08 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Going back in November for Masters RS class and SCCA license
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

I was just there for a two day course in august. Phenomenal track. Our on track instructor left more to be desired... but the other intructors were great.

Considering going back for another class.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Porrrrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been there for seven classes and will go back again next year. Its such a good experience and I find the instructors to be very helpful at getting me to be a better driver. Really enjoy being able to drive such a wide variety of Porsches on the track.
Go back! You won't regret it!
Old 09-17-2017, 01:09 PM
unclejosh
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Private Coaching vs. PSDS

Been there twice.

Good thing if on bucket list.

But, private coaching in your own car would be more cost effective and you will learn alot more

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche Sport Driving School--Barber Motorsports