Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Harry's Laptimer Setup + GoPro mount for GT4 + Great Exhaust Audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks. I have to update the hyperlinks for the photos as they do not seem to be working anymore. Maybe I will experiment with microphone location this season!
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM
Leuz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually I was looking at something like that, sub'd
Old 02-01-2017, 03:57 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by kkabba
Would you be able to share how to tuck the mic wire under the rear hatch carpet? I'm uncertain how the trunk lining comes out in order to route the mic wire. Thx!
Nevermind - successfully figured it out as per below. Had to take out all the trunk carpeting in order to feed the wire from inside trunk to outside license plate light:
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

keep you mic under passenger seat . You'll pick up exhaust sound and no wind noise
Old 02-03-2017, 07:46 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I'm planning to try out Harry's and the Ram Mount next weekend at Barber. Is the iphone's GPS so bad that it won't work at all w/o the separate GPS unit? I'd like to get comfortable with the app before spending more time, money and adding complexity. If I could get results within a second or so of accurate that would be fine for now.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I'm planning to try out Harry's and the Ram Mount next weekend at Barber. Is the iphone's GPS so bad that it won't work at all w/o the separate GPS unit? I'd like to get comfortable with the app before spending more time, money and adding complexity. If I could get results within a second or so of accurate that would be fine for now.

The phone's GPS will work fine for most people, so don't think you have to get external GPS unless you're really shaving off tenths and hundredths each lap.

Harry's is sometimes hit and miss. You'll think it's working and tracking lap times, only to get back to the paddock and it didn't auto-start.

I usually try to go to Video Preview when lined up waiting to enter the track. It should give you a message that recording will start when you pass the start/finish line.

You can glance up at it to see, but the worst thing you can do is worry too much about the video, phone, battery power and end up with YouTube fever.

Try to get all that working and then just concentrate on driving.

...and if you do beat my lap time (1st in the track thread at Barber) I'll call BS on you because you didn't have external GPS running.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoJoe
The phone's GPS will work fine for most people, so don't think you have to get external GPS unless you're really shaving off tenths and hundredths each lap.

Harry's is sometimes hit and miss. You'll think it's working and tracking lap times, only to get back to the paddock and it didn't auto-start.

I usually try to go to Video Preview when lined up waiting to enter the track. It should give you a message that recording will start when you pass the start/finish line.

You can glance up at it to see, but the worst thing you can do is worry too much about the video, phone, battery power and end up with YouTube fever.

Try to get all that working and then just concentrate on driving.

...and if you do beat my lap time (1st in the track thread at Barber) I'll call BS on you because you didn't have external GPS running.
Thanks. And that record is very, very safe. My bet is I was turning 2:15 at Barber last time I was there!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Updated thread with permanent photo links!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:22 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I attach my mic onto the grid next to the exhausts. I just lead the cable out of the truck and take slack out.

creates great sound.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the info. It is this thread to get me started with the Harry's Laptimer + GoPro Session setup, and love it. But I'm having problem to get the video from GoPro to the phone to let HLT to make the video! My HLT setup and runs fine, and control the GoPro Session record/stop fine. It's I can't seem to be able to get the video from the GoPro back to the phone for HLT to do the overlapping video?? Is there any detailed step by step instruction around? Tried HLT web side FAQ, not helping.

I do "sometimes" see the video from the GoPro in HLT's Video Lists, but it seems like the video is too long (12 mins, 2GB) for the phone to download from GoPro directly via wireless/bluetooth or whatever they two connected.

I could manually drag and drop the 12mins/2GB file (I think it's my Session's file limit/setting) onto HLT via iTune. But then it's a big 12 mins video that I'll need to find and manually trim the video for each lap!

Any tips/advice would be appreciated guys.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Default I use this external mic

Amazon Amazon

it works really great; I route (just let it hang out right over the exhaust and take the slack out) it just out of the trunk and clip it to black grids next to the exhaust
Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

moveswiftly: your OBDII data timing actually looks to be much better than than when I used Harry's and a similar set-up. Not sure which OBD dongle I have, but I am under the impression OBDII data only comes out at 1 Hz (one set of data per second) which is very slow for this type of application. Do you know the data rate of your OBDII set-up? BTW: i got a 90-degree obd cable and routed the dongle to the front of the fuse box where I drilled 4 holes and wire-tied it. I need to buy a virgin fuse box cover now, but will probably find out you can only buy the fuse box cover if you buy an entire electrical system!

I'm using the Porsche Track Precision App at this point with Harry's as a backup if something doesn't work on PTPA. I also have a Dual precision GPS (model 160), and it seems to work well. PTPA supposedly brings in a second camera, but have not tried it. With near-zero documentation on PTPA, it is time-consuming to get things to work...
Old 03-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

If anyone wants an XGPS160 for 10 Hz GPS updates with Porsche Track Precision and Harry's Lap Time for $99 shipped (it's $147 on Amazon), PM me! I've switched to a SoloDL system so I no longer need it.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Originally Posted by aryork
moveswiftly: your OBDII data timing actually looks to be much better than than when I used Harry's and a similar set-up. Not sure which OBD dongle I have, but I am under the impression OBDII data only comes out at 1 Hz (one set of data per second) which is very slow for this type of application. Do you know the data rate of your OBDII set-up? BTW: i got a 90-degree obd cable and routed the dongle to the front of the fuse box where I drilled 4 holes and wire-tied it. I need to buy a virgin fuse box cover now, but will probably find out you can only buy the fuse box cover if you buy an entire electrical system!

I'm using the Porsche Track Precision App at this point with Harry's as a backup if something doesn't work on PTPA. I also have a Dual precision GPS (model 160), and it seems to work well. PTPA supposedly brings in a second camera, but have not tried it. With near-zero documentation on PTPA, it is time-consuming to get things to work...
Hi, my XGPS150A has a 5 Hz refresh rate. You are correct, the refresh rate on your videos (I haven't seen them) will slow down how quickly and accurately data is transmitted to your phone. The XGPS150A has 1 HZ / 5 HZ setting. In addition, some members use the 160 model that has a 10 HZ update rate.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
moveswiftly
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
If anyone wants an XGPS160 for 10 Hz GPS updates with Porsche Track Precision and Harry's Lap Time for $99 shipped (it's $147 on Amazon), PM me! I've switched to a SoloDL system so I no longer need it.
Awesome deal!

Quick Reply: Harry's Laptimer Setup + GoPro mount for GT4 + Great Exhaust Audio