Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

New trick to stop oil filter leak- learned the hard way

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

O-Ring seals are different than gaskets.
Just like our SCUBA diving O-Rings, it must be able to move and fill in the O-Ring channel.
In contrast, a gasket uses the high sandwiching pressure to seal

When you treat an O-Ring like a gasket you can cause uneven sealing surfaces which leak. It is counterintuitive but true, don't reef down on an O-Ring, it will seal on its own under pressure
Old 12-25-2016, 12:45 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
O-Ring seals are different than gaskets.
Just like our SCUBA diving O-Rings, it must be able to move and fill in the O-Ring channel.
In contrast, a gasket uses the high sandwiching pressure to seal

When you treat an O-Ring like a gasket you can cause uneven sealing surfaces which leak. It is counterintuitive but true, don't reef down on an O-Ring, it will seal on its own under pressure
Well it is getting into semantics but since you brought this up it might be good to clarify this for others. An O-ring is really a type of gasket. So an O-ring is always a gasket but only some gaskets are O-rings.

Per Merriam-Webster:
Definition of gasket: a material (as rubber) or a part (as an O-ring) used to make a joint fluid-tight
My interpretation of what you are describing is the different applications of a static O-ring. These include the common types of "face seals" and "piston seals". From Apple Rubber:

Face Seal

Radial Seal:

So a face seal can be dependent on how tight the enclosure is torqued. A radial seal is independent of tightening torque. The O-ring on the Porsche filter housing is a radial seal type. Once the O-ring is engaged into position between the housing and the engine, the torque that is applied does not matter. I did not have a good photo of the housing and O-ring so I borrowed this one from Pelican:

Once the housing is fully seated, making it any tighter does not change the sealing capability. What Carl has theorized, and I tend to agree, is that as the housing is threaded in, the O-ring has to turn into the vehicle. In certain conditions, which seem to be influenced by temperature, the O-ring sticks in places and becomes uneven in cross-sectional diameter as it stretches. As an analogy, imagine taking a rubber band and stretching just one part of it. That part gets smaller in width compared to the non-stretched part. The smaller part does not fill the gland sufficiently (has reduced or no compression) and therefore can't seal as well and might leak some.

By threading the filter housing back and forth a few times as Carl describes, the O-ring is allowed to seat evenly and therefore seals uniformly. I have personally never seen this happen in any other application or car but it is a reasonable theory considering a few people have had the issue. Carl's solution does work so I am not going to question it much beyond that!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:34 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Guys here is another idea that you may have not thought of, Drill a hole in the filter and drain it so you don't have oil going everywhere you don't want it. Now remove the filter once it has drained. You can buy the filter and housing as one unit. I use super lube on the O ring and threads and never have a problem..
Old 12-26-2016, 12:49 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,081 Likes on 569 Posts

Sonorous , thanks you did a much better job than me explaining it. It seems to be a problem when the engine is hot the filter really gets hard to fully seat even with the oring and thepads lubed. Cold it seems to seat easier. Regardless I'm using the seating technique I described . No down side. Carl
Old 12-01-2019, 03:46 AM
loungin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Ah yes this was the thread. Found it again.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

clean all channels and surfaces where the O-Ring goes, any contaminants can contribute to leaks

Quick Reply: New trick to stop oil filter leak- learned the hard way