Sponsored by: APR

strut tower failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 06:49 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
I somehow doubt it, as mild steel has far better elastic properties than cast aluminium, it thus acts as a shock absorber that's capable of absorbing and diffusing the energy throughout the structure.

I'm guessing the GT4 has a spherical bearing (rather than a soft rubber bush) in the strut top mount ? So every last bit of energy put through that strut, would've been transferred straight to the turret, rather than being partially absorbed by the rubber bush fitted to the base/S/GTS models.

In a worst case scenario the bonding of the bush would've failed and the damper rod would've punched through it's pressed steel housing, in the process saving the turret.

Whatever the circumstances, the fractured aluminium turret is a less than perfect end result ....
Definitely. The BMW e46 M3's had relatively weak front strut mounts and they would tear all the time especially with aftermarket suspensions (spherical bushings usually). The difference was that they were steel and would show tearing or stretching so one could make repairs (repair or replacement) prior catastrophic failure.
The preventative solution there was to weld in BMW oem off road reinforcement plates under the strut mounts but I'm not sure that kind solution would work here because those only addressed stretching/tearing of the top mount...
Old 08-14-2016, 07:48 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

I somehow doubt it, as mild steel has far better elastic properties than cast aluminium, it thus acts as a shock absorber that's capable of absorbing and diffusing the energy throughout the structure.
True. I suppose I'm trying too hard to find some rationale behind the choice for a casting here besides being lighter and cheaper. The casting will deflect some, and possibly yield a tiny bit before fracturing, but relative to stamped steel, it's as brittle as a cracker.

I'm guessing the GT4 has a spherical bearing (rather than a soft rubber bush) in the strut top mount ? So every last bit of energy put through that strut, would've been transferred straight to the turret, rather than being partially absorbed by the rubber bush fitted to the base/S/GTS models.
For the shock mount, the PET shows the same part numbers for the GT4 as on the GT3. The 981 Boxster has an "additional spring" (that's what the PET calls it) between the top of the shock and the mount, item #6 in the Boxster diagram. I put the GT4 diagram in for comparison.
EDIT: The GT4, GT3, and Boxster part number for the shock tower itself is also identical: 991 501 477 00.

Whatever the circumstances, the fractured aluminium turret is a less than perfect end result ....
Yes, a fractured part doesn't instill thoughts of strength and durability, regardless of how strong the part is to begin with. Interesting, the GT4 has reinforced shock tower castings on the rear of the car.....so someone thought about the rear but decided the fronts were OK?

Best advice is from Spyerx earlier in this thread...DON"T HIT **** !
Attached Images   
Old 11-19-2016, 05:04 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just happened to me. Hit a dip in the road and wham. Pics to come.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:18 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Old 11-19-2016, 05:23 AM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Zero problem with wheel or tire, no body contact.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to see.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:51 AM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa! Was this from driving on the highway or some back road? Also was speed a factor for this to happen? It's kinda crazy to see this happening.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:09 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
Just happened to me. Hit a dip in the road and wham. Pics to come.
Joe, can you please elaborate on "hit a dip in the road?" On regular road, at legal speeds? High speed? On a track at high speed? "Dip" = small undulation or 7- inch pothole? Your post is too amorphous to understand. Not trying to be argumentative, I am just genuinely curious. This is troubling either way.

Sorry about your car. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,081 Likes on 569 Posts

Joe, sorry that sucks! I saw this 991 at the dealer a while back, same deal. They said he hit a curb. How big was the dip in the road?

If you look at the tub of the GT4 cup car you see they have reinforcement plates at the top of the strut towers . Wonder if they could be retrofitted? To me looks like a design flaw and a way to cut cost. carl

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9158...-your-gt4.html
Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

unacceptable
Old 11-19-2016, 10:38 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

That sucks. Curious as to cause, circumstances.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:41 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Manufacturing defect on some cars is my guess...
Old 11-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to be unclear, it was night when it happened. I am not sure what happened so I won't speculate in public. It was at freeway speed on the freeway.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:30 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Wow. Even if you did hit a pothole at freeway speeds, there's no excuse for this failure, IMO. Your wheel should bend and tire blow out before the car suffers major structural failure, and this is major structural failure. I believe you autocross your car, and that puts some higher loads on this part, but this car should be capable of track use and autocross activity without weakening structural components.

Please keep us posted on how Porsche handles this for you. And if you happen back by that dip in the freeway in daylight hours, snap a picture and post it here?

Quick Reply: strut tower failure