Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Check your nuts and bolts occasionally...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 06:53 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Even though it takes a decent amount of force for the tip of the screw to meet the line - obviously it's possible. Not likely - but why would they line things up in this way? I would think you'd want to avoid even a remote possibility of something like this happening - especially under the nose of the car which might encounter curbs.

TSB coming soon to a Porsche dealer near you....

I'll be filing these off on my car also, thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 08-05-2016, 09:50 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Right back atcha Ed!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2016, 05:51 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Not going to worry about lost header bolts anymore:

New bolts, drilled, torqued using 2-stage method: 11ft-lbs, then 22ft-lbs, then wired.

Amendment: I got a FB post from a guy who works with helicopters who told me while my idea was good, the fact that the wires touch the header tubes was a bad idea. He gave me a much better idea, which will also be a little easier. Just wire them across the top, and bottom! I will redo when possible.

Last edited by DrPhil Gandini; 08-27-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:20 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrPhil Gandini
Amendment: I got a FB post from a guy who works with helicopters who told me while my idea was good, the fact that the wires touch the header tubes was a bad idea. He gave me a much better idea, which will also be a little easier. Just wire them across the top, and bottom! I will redo when possible.
It's an awkward location to be doing safety wire in, so I'm not being critical of your work, just offering comments to help produce the optimum result. Ideally you will have more than 1 cross-drill through the fastener head to give you more options for running the wire so that you end up with each fastener wired such that if it were to loosen it would tighten the other fastener it's wired to. Reference the photo below (from quick Google search) and imagine one of the fasteners trying to loosen. If one did, it would tighten the other fastener.

Also, when you've completed your work, ideally the wire between each fastener will be taught so that if you pluck it with your finger, it might even ping like a short guitar string. This reduces vibration in the wire. Extended vibration with loose wires can cause them to wear at the fastener holes and loosen even further. I've done safety wire work back in a previous life, on the internals of large (1,200 to 6,500 lb.) industrial turbochargers. I also did post-mortem failure analysis of older units from the field and I've seen a lot of loose/broken safety wire and loose fasteners when not wired properly. Mechanics who do aircraft maintenance work for a living can make a safety wire job look like a work of art.

FWIW, I checked out the factory exhaust gasket when I was at a Porsche dealer parts department recently and it appears to be of a material and design that won't compress much, if any, over time with heat and clamping force. The safety wire should provide belt and suspenders security.
Attached Images  

Last edited by okie981; 08-28-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:27 AM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Thanks for the comments. I totally accept that this, being the first time I've ever wired bolts, is a completely terrible amateur job! I got a note from a helicopter tech who told me how to wire them better, and I think more easily, which should give me more chances to achieve a result like the one you included in your post. Unfortunately the option of greater access is unavailable--I'm not removing the engine and headers just to get better looking, and potentially stronger wires.
In the end, I might just have a belt, or a suspender, rather than the two together. The problem I'm trying to solve is total loss of the bolt--which occurred twice previously. Although I think that was due to improper torquing by the installer (not me), and now I have corrected that with new bolts and proper two-stage torquing, the wiring is just a little (perhaps unnecessary) insurance against bolt loss.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments. I totally accept that this, being the first time I've ever wired bolts, is a completely terrible amateur job! I got a note from a helicopter tech who told me how to wire them better, and I think more easily, which should give me more chances to achieve a result like the one you included in your post. Unfortunately the option of greater access is unavailable--I'm not removing the engine and headers just to get better looking, and potentially stronger wires.
In the end, I might just have a belt, or a suspender, rather than the two together. The problem I'm trying to solve is total loss of the bolt--which occurred twice previously. Although I think that was due to improper torquing by the installer (not me), and now I have corrected that with new bolts and proper two-stage torquing, the wiring is just a little (perhaps unnecessary) insurance against bolt loss.
For your first safety wire job, in such an awkward location, you did a great job.

When I get around to putting headers on mine, I'll recheck the bolts at intervals of 6 to 10 hours of driving and if I keep finding bolts that need tightening, I'll take the next step of locking fasteners or safety wire. But if a bolt doesn't loosen in about 20 hours of driving, I'll call it good and declare it needs no locking fastener or safety wire.

Last edited by okie981; 08-29-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

What tool are you using to twist the wire?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:08 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

There's a special tool that looks like a pair of pliers with a central pivot. You lock the pliers on the wires and then pull the central **** and the whole tool twists. Let go and repeat until you have enough twists. Got mine on Amazon where there were many choices. They are called "wire twisting pliers" believe it or not... Also got SS wire there.
okie981: If you follow the 2-stage torquing procedure that has been promoted here, I doubt you will have any problems. I am confident it works, but since I lost bolts, I thought the wiring might just be added security.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:36 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
What tool are you using to twist the wire?
There's a special tool that looks like a pair of pliers with a central pivot. You lock the pliers on the wires and then pull the central **** and the whole tool twists. Let go and repeat until you have enough twists. Got mine on Amazon where there were many choices. They are called "wire twisting pliers" believe it or not... Also got SS wire there.
A must have tool for every race or track car mechanic. :-)
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4795-Safe...fety+wire+tool
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-...ers-45340.html
Old 08-29-2016, 10:02 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

okie981: If you follow the 2-stage torquing procedure that has been promoted here, I doubt you will have any problems. I am confident it works, but since I lost bolts, I thought the wiring might just be added security.
Roger that.

Regarding the tool, a video is worth a thousand words, skip to the 2:00 mark if all you want to see is the pliers twisting the wire:

Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 AM
morjo02
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for providing the parts manual
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
Regarding the tool, a video is worth a thousand words, skip to the 2:00 mark if all you want to see is the pliers twisting the wire:
Thanks!! When I looked at the tool on amazon, the first thing I thought was "I have no idea how to use that thing!"

Indeed, twisting header wires using the tool would be challenging.

I never knew the trick about wiring them such that if one loosened it tightened the other. A simple, elegant solution!
Old 05-31-2018, 02:24 PM
morjo02
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

the link does not have the document
Old 06-01-2018, 10:18 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by morjo02
the link does not have the document
You're right - the page says "under construction"

I searched GT4 PET catalog and found another source. It looks different from what I remember, but I scrolled through a few pages and it looks like the "real deal"

Here's what you need to do:

Go to PCA Cayman Register and join (you won't have permission to download the file unless you are a member with an account) - no cost to join
^this is the link to the page with the download
once you're logged into the Cayman Register go to the link above and download the file

Hope that helps

The Cayman Register is a friendly place loaded with info specific to Caymans.
No "for sale" section - just folks sharing info, asking questions (and usually getting answers), and in general sharing ownership experience.
Just like RL - I've learned a lot on the Cayman Register and many that are members here are members there.

I have no stake in the Cayman Register. It's simply another resource and is supported by PCA.

Quick Reply: Check your nuts and bolts occasionally...