Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

She's here, what should I ask the dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:16 AM
robziv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default She's here, what should I ask the dealer?

Good morning fellow obsessives. My GT4 is at the dealer and I picker her up tomorrow. I'm sure there have been bits and pieces of things to look for in various threads but because I'm lazy I'm asking you kind ladies and gentlemen what should I be asking about tomorrow when I pick her up.

There are only 5 miles on her, they said the alignment from the factory is

Front axle
Total Toe +2' +/- 2'
Camber -1°30' +/- 3'

Rear axle
Per Wheel Toe +10' +/- 2'
Camber -1°30' +/- 5'

I will be tracking the car regularly. I've got the clear bra and window tint appointment set up for Thursday. I'm probably going to skip the 'perma plate' application.
I appreciate any advice and guidance and I hope to see some of you out on the track soon. I'll be hitting Sebring on the 13th of August...

Thanks,
Rob

2014 Turbo S
2013 Boxster (gone)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:24 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's not the alignment on your specific car. Those are the factory alignment guidelines, but many cars have been found not to be within spec, although if you'll be tracking you'll want something different that will require some parts anyway, so don't bother asking the dealer to correct it. Read the first post in the GT4 Track Setup Wiki stickied here to decide what sort of alignment you want and how to get there. I'd wait 1000 miles before doing the alignment too so the suspension can settle. Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:31 AM
robziv
Advanced

Thanks. They had it in the garage yesterday. I'll confirm they just sent me information as opposed to measuring. I'll also check out that Track Setup Thread! Appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Just ask for the keys and go for a damn drive. Figure out the track settings later......be safe.........Phil
Old 07-24-2016, 01:31 PM
robziv
Advanced

Thanks Phil. I like the keep it simple and fun attitude. Maybe I'll see you in COTA one of these days. I'm hoping to get out there this winter.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:34 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by robziv
Thanks Phil. I like the keep it simple and fun attitude. Maybe I'll see you in COTA one of these days. I'm hoping to get out there this winter.
Sounds like a plan......I just wrapped up my break in and now the fun starts.....Phil
Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 561 Posts

Someone's tech forgot to remove shipping blocks from suspension before releasing the car. Oops!

Make sure all options are present and accounted for (a couple folks received regular gas tank despite requesting zero option extended range tank).

The rear reversing light on our yellow car had lots of micro cracks as though it was bent upon installation. Hard to see unless you get up close and personal. Not a big deal - replaced under warranty.

If you want the door lock confirmation chirp turned off - ask the dealer to do it (lights still flash but in silence).

Our dealer forgot to put gas in. It was on fumes!

Mine had a very bad ignition/steering wheel area rattle that they fixed. When driving on milled pavement it was constant.

I agree with others - just enjoy it. Any discrepancy or issue will be taken care of. If you live FAR from any dealer then it's probably worth inspecting closely to save the inconvenience of return trips. Otherwise - DRIVE IT!! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-24-2016, 02:00 PM
robziv
Advanced

Thanks, excuse my ignorance but other thank filling the tank from empty how else can you tell if you have the right gas tank?
Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

You can tell from the range display.

Ensure you have them turn off those stupid beeps.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:52 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
You can tell from the range display.

Ensure you have them turn off those stupid beeps.
Eh, the range depends on how the car has been driven, and with little to no mileage on a delivered car I don't know what the history would look like. If it includes the full-speed run the factory does at the end of the production line, the range might be low. No real way to tell at delivery.

But yes, disabling the honk when the car is locked isn't a bad idea. I'm very glad I did that because it sounds terrible.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Agree with jphughan on tank. My range with full tank was 300 miles. At 16.91 gallons I should be getting 17.74 mpg. It was showing around 13 mpg, but there are very few miles on the car.

Brings up an interesting question: is mpg determined using entire fuel tank capacity including reserve, or "regular" capacity (not including reserve)? According to Porsche site the regular capacity is 14.26 gallons.

The extended is 16.91 which is 14.26 plus reserve of 2.65 gallons. Interesting that the extended range is exactly the capacity of the standard tank with bigger reserve. I assume the standard 14.26 capacity includes a reserve (maybe 12 gal with 2.26 reserve?).

Whichever way it happens - I can't confirm the capacity until I get the tank fairly empty and just see how many gallons go in.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Agree with jphughan on tank. My range with full tank was 300 miles. At 16.91 gallons I should be getting 17.74 mpg. It was showing around 13 mpg, but there are very few miles on the car.

Brings up an interesting question: is mpg determined using entire fuel tank capacity including reserve, or "regular" capacity (not including reserve)? According to Porsche site the regular capacity is 14.26 gallons.

The extended is 16.91 which is 14.26 plus reserve of 2.65 gallons. Interesting that the extended range is exactly the capacity of the standard tank with bigger reserve. I assume the standard 14.26 capacity includes a reserve (maybe 12 gal with 2.26 reserve?).

Whichever way it happens - I can't confirm the capacity until I get the tank fairly empty and just see how many gallons go in.

Just filled up. The white marker was 1/2 way into the red with remaining miles @ 25 miles. Odometer showed 321.3 miles. Fillup took 16.4 gallons and the new range remaining now read 373 miles. So my mpg is 19.6 per odometer and is 21.15 per range remaining. I overfilled the tank by 1/4 gallon once it shut off because I just like to hit the nearest full $.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:52 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Thanks ExMB!

I generally shy away from letting it get THAT empty. I don't trust range estimates. In other cars in my experience - once range gets low (50 miles +\-) it can drop VERY quickly.

I'll have to try and get it low while staying around town. Interesting that you could over fill by that much.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thanks ExMB!

I generally shy away from letting it get THAT empty. I don't trust range estimates. In other cars in my experience - once range gets low (50 miles +\-) it can drop VERY quickly.

I'll have to try and get it low while staying around town. Interesting that you could over fill by that much.
Previous testing gave me confidence to let it get that low.

You have to remember that when you fill you are splashing it around. Once it shuts off you can tip toe it and add a little more. 1/4 gallon is no more than whats in a quart oil bottle. The tank is designed for environmental purposes, so even when it shuts off during a fill there is still plenty of air space in it.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Some good info here, Rob:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8891...checklist.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9346...-delivery.html

Congrats on your car! I'm sure tomorrow will be memorable.

-Nick

Quick Reply: She's here, what should I ask the dealer?