Sponsored by: APR

TPC or Tarrett toe links?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 PM
fastauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPC or Tarrett toe links?

Looking to pick up a set shortly. Any input is appreciated!
Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I've purchased from Tarett in the past and have never had an issue. The new TPC links appear to be a step up. I've spoken with Tom about these and will most likely get a set. If you don't plan to do much if any tracking the Tarett set would be fine. Also if you don't want much over -1.5 degrees in back you could probably stick with stock. Add a set of Tarett's locks to keep the settings locked.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Jury is still out on if the offset TPC link is really doing anything. Geometrically it is not obvious that it has any significant impact, and TPC won't share any real toe curve data over suspension compression to prove it.

I'm on the fringe of just drawing a suspension model myself to show the theoretical toe vs offset impact over compression.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't know much about suspensions and how they work, but TPC is very confident about their products and I would agree that the issues on the GT4 that they are trying to address with these products are real. If it were me, and I haven't purchased an aftermarket toe link yet, I would go with TPC.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:19 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Jury is still out on if the offset TPC link is really doing anything. Geometrically it is not obvious that it has any significant impact, and TPC won't share any real toe curve data over suspension compression to prove it.

I'm on the fringe of just drawing a suspension model myself to show the theoretical toe vs offset impact over compression.
This. I will buy the first aftermarket altered geometry toe link that has data showing a significant reduction in dynamic toe, whether made by TPC or a competitor. No data exists yet. I have Tarett links for now (just for camber).

Draw it up! Should be easy in something like solidworks, no?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:11 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

TPC is charging double the price for their toe links so I would hope their product results in a better toe curve compared to other products.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I think Mike knows someone will copy his design and charge less. Before that happens I'm sure he would like to recoup his investment in time and resources.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:25 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I think Mike knows someone will copy his design and charge less. Before that happens I'm sure he would like to recoup his investment in time and resources.
The sad thing is that if someone copies his design and publishes the toe curve, I'll buy the copy. However, if TPC publishes the toe curve (and it's enough of an improvement), I'll buy theirs, even if it's double the price and copies are available.

It's not to make a point at all. It's just that these cars are complicated enough and some enthusiasts are close enough to their limits, that real engineering is required. I don't trust aftermarket unless I can directly see their data and work with them on the same level. There's a lot of snake oil in the aftermarket, reputation is meaningless. Numbers talk.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 PM
inactiveuser726
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I've purchased from Tarett in the past and have never had an issue. The new TPC links appear to be a step up. I've spoken with Tom about these and will most likely get a set. If you don't plan to do much if any tracking the Tarett set would be fine. Also if you don't want much over -1.5 degrees in back you could probably stick with stock. Add a set of Tarett's locks to keep the settings locked.
I am leaning towards the TPC but not sure. For me, camber adjustment is everything. I am looking to get as aggressive as I can up front with a similar balance in the rear.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 PM
inactiveuser726
Advanced

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I don't know much about suspensions and how they work, but TPC is very confident about their products and I would agree that the issues on the GT4 that they are trying to address with these products are real. If it were me, and I haven't purchased an aftermarket toe link yet, I would go with TPC.
Good to know!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 PM
inactiveuser726
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yargk
The sad thing is that if someone copies his design and publishes the toe curve, I'll buy the copy. However, if TPC publishes the toe curve (and it's enough of an improvement), I'll buy theirs, even if it's double the price and copies are available. It's not to make a point at all. It's just that these cars are complicated enough and some enthusiasts are close enough to their limits, that real engineering is required. I don't trust aftermarket unless I can directly see their data and work with them on the same level. There's a lot of snake oil in the aftermarket, reputation is meaningless. Numbers talk.
+1
Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably go with TPC. At a minimum its a try to see if it will help. I don't know how you guys would provide data on dynamic toe - its more than just a calculation, there's a whole model that needs to be put in place.

I have a hypothesis that the offset on the end (which probably has to be installed in a single direction) produces a slight angle (overall geometry setup of all points in the rear suspension) that creates a stiffer tie-rod which avoids power-on deviation when under lateral load (hard cornering). It would be helpful if we had a huge physics nerd that has a tremendous interest in Kinematic toe and functional toe control to explain the benefits.

Otherwise someone would have to test these rear toe links on a stock car vs the others. The car would need to be aligned exactly the same and taken to a race track the driver knows well. Then run laps using each and see if the data hows a difference. The stability in the rear should improve overall lap times. But who knows! Let's see if people can chime on their experiences.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

I see and understand your position. I applaud the fact that you would pay more for the proven product. Sadly there are many that would buy the cheaper one. I've been on the short end of the intellectual property stick and it's not fun recouping your losses.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:11 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

I'm learning that there are nuances of this car that the late-to-the-game vendors are focusing on to make their products better. TPC rear toe links are an example. How much it impacts handling vs. cost is a function of your pursuit of perfection. Early adopters are kinda screwed in my experience so far. I'd go TPC.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

My guess is TPC doesn't actually have the quantitative toe data to share. Sharing the data would only increase sales and would have no impact on enabling copycats. I could see them doing some trial and error based on some assumptions and being convinced they could feel the differences on track with the offset. Not enough data for me, but I welcome the information and discussion should it become available.

Quick Reply: TPC or Tarrett toe links?