GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Best Track Times in a GT4

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
wow! Man that is sickening fast. I thought 1:26 was quick but holy moly. Well done. I'm glad to see these cars are up for doing business once they are dialed in.
Even straight from the showroom, an experienced driver can do 23s at SP without much difficulty, and 22s should be attainable when doing 'DE qualifying' laps. To get below 22s, I think the car needs some tweaking with set up, which should be worth over 1 s, and the RE71R tires seem to make the car faster also.

At 1:20.355, there's no question that Chris is driving the bejesus out of the car. His speeds are up there, and I'd love to see his g-meter readings.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:55 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

New pb at thunderhill 3mile/east side cyclone config:
2:00.1
Old 11-20-2016, 02:00 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Very nice!!! - time to get brake pressure and TPS laid out in data analysis to pick up the next set of time - video becoming too tough to see. Happy to give you the low down (which is what I know) on how to use it when you get it setup. I've spent all year working on data

I would guess 14/15 you can go in faster and keep full throttle because you still have track out room left on 15 - just wrangle the crap out of it with the steering wheel and keep foot to floor - every mph at that point is worth amazing amounts of time. Tony has started going in much narrower into 15 which I haven't tried maybe time there too with higher hp car like yours but I don't know

T1 - a little trail brake is going to step out the back but in reality just a few degrees of rotation will get you 100% throttle at apex and you'll apex a few mph faster. BPS will show you can put a few hundred more PSI into the pedal at brake initiation there and that you are coming off pedal too quickly - you have the wheel in the hook in the road there it'll hold

T10 you nailed
Old 11-20-2016, 03:06 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Very nice!!! - time to get brake pressure and TPS laid out in data analysis to pick up the next set of time - video becoming too tough to see. Happy to give you the low down (which is what I know) on how to use it when you get it setup. I've spent all year working on data

I would guess 14/15 you can go in faster and keep full throttle because you still have track out room left on 15 - just wrangle the crap out of it with the steering wheel and keep foot to floor - every mph at that point is worth amazing amounts of time. Tony has started going in much narrower into 15 which I haven't tried maybe time there too with higher hp car like yours but I don't know

T1 - a little trail brake is going to step out the back but in reality just a few degrees of rotation will get you 100% throttle at apex and you'll apex a few mph faster. BPS will show you can put a few hundred more PSI into the pedal at brake initiation there and that you are coming off pedal too quickly - you have the wheel in the hook in the road there it'll hold

T10 you nailed
Thanks for the tips, Matt!
My thoughts were:
1) screwed up the entry for T3 and lost a touch of time there
2). Braking too early for t14 and not trailbraking into it like I normally do.

That will dip me below 2:00. Working on t1 like you suggest, adjusting my line and staying on the power for t14/15 like you suggest, might finally get me to 1:58.

I'll send you my data. Always want to learn more about how to analyze it.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:17 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Finally at VIR

Finally got a chance to take the GT4 to VIR this weekend (only an hour from home). Managed to dip into the 2:12s (2:12.79). Car did great but there was more understeer than I had noticed before. I run soft front and mid rear sways, camber -2.0 front and rear (was going for 2.5 in the front but ran out of shims...), OEM tires (Cup 2) at 33/35psi. If it hadn't been so cold I probably would've tried full hard on the rear sway.

Plenty of GT4s present, including a number of Rennlisters.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:22 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Hey Joe, I think the 3 mile course is the same as the cyclone course - so I updated this to your quickest time there. Let me know if not correct. Love your Videos. That course may be the best GT4 track - those high speed sweeping turns mean that you really trust you car!!!

Originally Posted by stjoh
Finally got a chance to take the GT4 to VIR this weekend (only an hour from home). Managed to dip into the 2:12s (2:12.79). Car did great but there was more understeer than I had noticed before. I run soft front and mid rear sways, camber -2.0 front and rear (was going for 2.5 in the front but ran out of shims...), OEM tires (Cup 2) at 33/35psi. If it hadn't been so cold I probably would've tried full hard on the rear sway.

Plenty of GT4s present, including a number of Rennlisters.
Awesome run - you are on the board. Its been a while since we posted a top 3 lap time with Cup 2s. Excellent. SMOOTH operator award!!!
Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 PM
dempseyonline
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR - 2:03

VIR - 2:03.89 - 11-18-2016 - temp low 70's, maybe high 60's, breezy, 5:42pm

Tires: Mich PSCup2 on OEM wheels, 32 psi hot
Mods: TPC Toe links, Rennline camber shims, track alignment, front bar soft (rear med), wing max, front air channels removed

AIM Image via Solo
The 2:03.89 had traffic in turn 1, had to go offline, inside. AIM indicated lost about .3 sec compared to prev lap which was a high 2:04 (also with traffic). check out attached image during this lap with blinding sun approach to turn 3.
The 2:07.9 is from the 1st session, 1st time on track with GT4, sorting it out, not pushing too hard

My guess is with a pro driver in my car even with that setup...a very looooow 2:02 is possible (or better)

Scott #514
Attached Images   
Old 11-22-2016, 09:08 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dempseyonline

Tires: Mich PSCup2 on OEM wheels, 32 psi hot
Mods: TPC Toe links, Rennline camber shims, track alignment, front bar soft (rear med), wing max, front air channels removed

AIM Image via Solo
The 2:03.89 had traffic in turn 1, had to go offline, inside. AIM indicated lost about .3 sec compared to prev lap which was a high 2:04 (also with traffic). check out attached image during this lap with blinding sun approach to turn 3.
The 2:07.9 is from the 1st session, 1st time on track with GT4, sorting it out, not pushing too hard

My guess is with a pro driver in my car even with that setup...a very looooow 2:02 is possible (or better)

Scott #514
Nice time in your Gt4! I did a 2:01.3 in my GT3 on Trofeos and was curious how far off a well driven Gt4 would be. Sounds about right. I think I could have gotten another second with a few more clean laps (based on my Solo data) but not much more than that.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

way to go dempsey. put on some Ho Hos with no traffic and your pushing the 2:00 mark. well done!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:43 AM
dempseyonline
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Nice time in your Gt4! I did a 2:01.3 in my GT3 on Trofeos and was curious how far off a well driven Gt4 would be. Sounds about right. I think I could have gotten another second with a few more clean laps (based on my Solo data) but not much more than that.
Thanks. I suspect that the GT4 doesn't need the max downforce setup for VIR. I didn't get a chance to try (didn't have the front air channel pieces to block off).

Compared to my prior base 997-911 (325 hp) with no-downforce aero kit, hoosiers, MCS adjustables, the GT4 was NOT faster on back straight NOR on the uphill Esses. I think above 120 the drag just slows down the acceleration more perhaps than on my 911...bummer.

I might lose just a bit of turn-in grip on turn 10...but if I gain on all 3 of those straights and match my 997 top speed in the Esses...who knows. Won't get to try again until next year.

The flip side is that with a pro-driver in the max-downforce setting...they might gain more by carrying more speed into more of the corners than I was because I was leaving some on the table.

No matter what...it was the most enjoyable driving experience in a sports car (or race car) that I've had yet. Whether I was going full tilt or off-speed hanging with some 964 buddies...just a joy to drive at any speed really.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:32 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Hey Joe, I think the 3 mile course is the same as the cyclone course - so I updated this to your quickest time there. Let me know if not correct. Love your Videos. That course may be the best GT4 track - those high speed sweeping turns mean that you really trust you car!!!
Yes. The 3 mile cyclone config corresponds with the other times you have listed. There is another 3 mile config called the bypass, but nobody has listed any times in that config yet.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:15 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by dempseyonline
Very quick, and on the board - just tenths away from the quickest time at VIR - oh so close!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:45 AM
Snowman.
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not in the US - but we got to run at Bathurst down-under this weekend. First time in 5 years road cars have been able to run there in a competition. I managed a 2.25.4 which was good enough to win the standard road car class outright.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:44 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman.
It's not in the US - but we got to run at Bathurst down-under this weekend. First time in 5 years road cars have been able to run there in a competition. I managed a 2.25.4 which was good enough to win the standard road car class outright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RA2ep-We4
Would love to drive that track....not just in Forza
Old 11-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RA2ep-We4
Looks like fun, but holy walls everywhere!

Quick Reply: Best Track Times in a GT4