Squeaking Noise From the Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by max59
Carl,

I would still do the repair, there is a reason Porsche is covering something like this, no questions asked. I wouldn't want to risk anything else going wrong because of it.
Thanks but did they actually show you what specificity was making the noise. it may be the bearing rubbing on the sleeve as the sleeve gets hot it expands and could cause the noise or its the release fork pivot. i want to see if theres a recall on the trans first my car is a 6/16 production. carl
Old 01-18-2017, 10:12 AM
max59
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After consulting with other Porsche techs they told me that it was the clutch release fork, they did not show me the actual part after the fix, but whatever they have done it was fixed. I have put another 10K km on the car, no problems.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:15 AM
4carl
Race Car

Originally Posted by max59
After consulting with other Porsche techs they told me that it was the clutch release fork, they did not show me the actual part after the fix, but whatever they have done it was fixed. I have put another 10K km on the car, no problems.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2018, 04:46 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Covered by warranty?

I have the squeaky clutch. Car has 19k miles and a fair amount of track time. Local dealership evaluated the car and said it’s likely the throwout bearing. They suggested replacing the clutch while in there. They said the throwout bearing is a wear item and definitely not covered by warranty. Thoughts on this? Seems like a common issue on our cars and occurs on vehicles with low mileage as well as those with higher mileage.

Edit: I was mistaken when I said the dealership's original diagnosis was the bearing. They had a list of possible culprits: throw out bearing, clutch fork, or pressure plate. Just clarifying.

Last edited by aualexa2; 09-27-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

The throwout bearing is a wear item but not at 19K. I see a few possibilities where a throwout bearing would go so early :
-abused clutch
-low quality part
-improper use of the clutch

And I'm not saying you personally qualify in any of the 2 that involve improper usage since I do not know you and I do not know how you drive your car...

Also worth mentioning,I personally never heard of a throwout bearing " squeaking ". Why? Well,it's a bearing...and bearings rotate : when they go bad they make a " rumbling " noise. My bet is the noise you're all hearing comes from the lack of lubrication at the point where the shift fork pivots to engage the clutch. I'd live with it...
Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by aualexa2
I have the squeaky clutch. Car has 19k miles and a fair amount of track time. Local dealership evaluated the car and said it’s likely the throwout bearing. They suggested replacing the clutch while in there. They said the throwout bearing is a wear item and definitely not covered by warranty. Thoughts on this? Seems like a common issue on our cars and occurs on vehicles with low mileage as well as those with higher mileage.
​​​​​​
i mean, I guess the throwout bearing is a wear item but at 19k miles that sounds like bs to me. I have a slight squeak too but I think it's coming from the pedal assembly somewhere....

Last edited by ajw45; 09-26-2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Gt4

I had this exact same issue, it was replaced under warranty earlier this year at around 11k km no questions asked.
I'm in Australia.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:02 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Neanicu, I don't consider myself as one who abuses the clutch, but the car has had a lot of track miles, so some wear and tear has certainly occurred.

I spoke to the dealer where I bought my car (I moved two years ago, but I'm still within a half days drive) and they have said it should be covered under warranty. I'll be collecting the car from the local dealer and will likely take it to my original dealership to have repairs done.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM
4carl
Race Car

The throw-out bearing isnt causing the squeak if its the same as mine. Mine does it when its hot and you can hear it with the car off. When it cools down its gone .A bad throw out bearing only makes noise when the clutch is in when the car is running and you will feel and hear a growl .

The cause is the pivot on the release fork or the bearing rubbing on the sleeve that it rides on that expands with heat .Ive had it for 8000miles and i'm going to wait till the trans gets replaced . It wont hurt anything else other than the pedal may take more pressure if it really binds but i don't think so.. carl

Last edited by 4carl; 09-26-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:28 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
The throw-out bearing isnt causing the squeak if its the same as mine. Mine does it when its hot and you can hear it with the car off. When it cools down its gone .A bad throw out bearing only makes noise when the clutch is in when the car is running and you will feel and hear a growl .

The cause is the pivot on the release fork or the bearing rubbing on the sleeve that it rides on that expands with heat .Ive had it for 8000miles and i'm going to wait till the trans gets replaced . It wont hurt anything else other than the pedal may take more pressure it it really binds but i don't think so.. carl
There you go! Carl just confirmed what I said a few posts back.
IMO,if the dealer is willing to convince Porsche to pay for dropping the transmission and replace all the clutch components under warranty,I'd do it obviously! Otherwise,I'd live with it...
Old 09-26-2018, 10:43 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

The cause is the pivot on the release fork or the bearing rubbing on the sleeve that it rides on that expands with heat .Ive had it for 8000miles and i'm going to wait till the trans gets replaced . It wont hurt anything else other than the pedal may take more pressure if it really binds but i don't think so.. carl
Mine did it hot and cold, they just changed the faulty parts and nothing else. The noise has not returned.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Good info there, thank you. My clutch first made that noise after 1 hour in stop and go traffic on a 90F degree day approaching a toll booth. I literally move an inch at a time forward or those NYC drivers would cut me off!

Noise went away after that but has returned a few times on very hot days with a lot of traffic.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:11 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Got my car back today. I've read a few threads about squeaking clutches, but I don't recall any video documenting the sound. So, I'm adding a video of my car for anyone else who might be having similar issues. Here's the YouTube link:

Originally, I thought the noise was only present when the car was warm, but in the video, the car is cold and hasn't been driven in a few hours. The local dealership still maintains it is an problem not covered by warranty. I updated my original post. The dealership had a list of possible causes (throw out bearing, clutch fork, or pressure plate), not just the throw out bearing. They said they wouldn't be able to tell until the transmission was out. Will be scheduling a service visit with my original dealership in the next few weeks as they believe it is a covered issue. Will update this thread when I know more.

Last edited by aualexa2; 09-27-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM
4carl
Race Car

That's the noise! It isn't the throw out bearing its either the pivot on the release fork or the sleeve that the throw out bearing slides on or a combination of both. Not a wear item like a clutch .

The reality is everything eventually wares out but not this so soon for this part . Porsche has a history of squeaky clutches going back the 1987 when they went to the G50 gear box with their first hydraulically activated clutch. Ask me how i know. . good luck carl
Old 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM
aualexa2
Rennlist Member

Soupy, e871m, and max59, is this the same noise as your cars?

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise From the Clutch