Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

My GT4 Modifications: CF, Decals, Roll Cage, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 PM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My GT4 Modifications: CF, Decals, Roll Cage, etc.

After an excruciating wait that has become the right-of-passage for most GT4 owners, my Porsche arrived three weeks ago at Roger Penske's latest mega-dealership: Porsche of West Broward (Florida) – more about which will be described in a separate post in the Rennlist Florida region forum. Suffice to say, this dealership is HUGE – the biggest in the US and exceptionally impressive – from the team of seasoned professionals, to the architecturally impressive multilevel facility, to the fabulous espresso bar. Gotta see it!

So finally, with my new car in hand, I decided to demonstrate superhuman willpower and within days sent it to Pathfinder Motorsports (my brother's tuning, racing, and exotic car shop) for a couple of weeks to add some long-considered mods. I pickup my GT4 on Saturday, but I've already received some photos.

Stripes
With the Porsche 911R as an influence, I asked Pathfinder to design a similar set of stripes that would compliment the GT4's lines, as well as its Racing Yellow color. We decided on black stripes with a red outline. I've tried to infuse red here and there to pickup the red color of the brake calipers, so for example, even though I spec'd yellow contrasting thread for the interior, I elected to install red seat-belts. The stripes offer a bit more red color, and I will be installing red anodized tow loops fore and aft.

Name:  20160428_121318_resized_zpsleeoh8ej.jpg
Views: 5455
Size:  265.5 KB

Name:  20160427_151900_resized_zps1zon8eqw.jpg
Views: 3059
Size:  1.06 MB

Model Name Decals
I have always liked the decal model designation found on GT cars like the GT3 RS and GT2 RS, and decided to eschew the raised lettering on the GT4 (and is standard on non-GT cars) and have Pathfinder apply their 'GT4' decal for the rear bumper and 'GT4 3.8' decals for the front door corners. After removing the standard letters with some monofilament attached to two large washers, the rear 'GT4' decal was applied and looked perfect. The door decals are slightly larger and include the '3.8' designation in lieu of the 'RS' that would otherwise be there.

Name:  20160427_151912_resized_zps9jefyndf.jpg
Views: 2031
Size:  279.3 KB

Name:  4404f9d2-020e-4e8f-aea9-e064531215c4_zpsfsdj8xbd.jpg
Views: 2039
Size:  285.7 KB

Name:  1cdbb26d-a13c-478a-8845-21f7302f750d_zpsyofgjfs5.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  241.1 KB

Name:  20160419_102656_resized_1_zpsyoqfjixa.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  491.7 KB

Rear Wing
Unlike some on Reenlist, I think the GT4's rear wing looks mega! Being a unrepentant fan of the carbon fiber look (yes, that was fully optioned for my interior) I thought the rear wing would benefit from a touch of real unpainted CF. Pathfinder disassembled the wing and end plates and had actual CF 1x1 weave fabric applied to the wing, vacuum bag laminated, and hand finished. The final appearance is great, despite some minor flaws that betray that this is real CF and not vinyl or hydrophobic wrap.

Name:  20160420_114701_resized_1_zps3nocemhj.jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  666.1 KB

Name:  20160427_151934_resized_zpsagc8ja9s.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  1.04 MB

Name:  20160428_121256_resized_zpsfumfy2bk.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  766.1 KB

Front Spoiler Lip & Rear Diffuser
With the wing now resplendent in high-speed/low-drag carbon fiber, I felt it important that the cuffs and collars matched, so we targeted the front spoiler lip and the rear diffuser. Pathfinder recommended against using real CF on these parts – too many twists, curves, and edges. Instead we elected to use carbon fiber hydrophobic wrap that matched the CF applied to the wing. The results were outstanding (and the cost substantially less than the wing).

Name:  cee19265-3ae0-48e6-b68e-0ce114d51579_zpsjnc9wznc.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  344.8 KB

Name:  ff79c469-a2f7-423f-b83e-df329a3eaa90_zps4k9owrzc.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  406.9 KB

Engine Fluids Trunk Plate
I'm still not clear what this thing in the trunk is actually called, but I've referred to it as the 'aluminum skate board' that every Cayman has straddling the two access points to the car's water and oil. Whatever it might be named, I always felt it was an eyesore that draws too much visual attention to an otherwise unimportant feature of the GT4. So what to do? Carbon fiber, of course! The plate was removed and hydrophobically wrapped in matching CF; it now is less visually prominent and, when spied, carries the carbon fiber theme found elsewhere on the car. Pathfinder was able to replace the protective rubber rub-strakes perfectly, giving it a factory appearance.

Name:  7504bda5-7c60-4bd0-ba39-a9235d459d90_zpssw6rsxh6.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  186.3 KB

Name:  20160427_151952_resized_zpseu0o3lkw.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  713.1 KB

Name:  20160427_151943_resized_zpsreiiamw5.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  881.3 KB

Name:  20160428_170327_resized_zpscnjeztsp.jpg
Views: 1990
Size:  765.7 KB

Canard/Dive Planes
Doesn't a rear wing require a front wing – a couple of canards – to balance things aerodynamically and aesthetically? Out of the box, the GT4 tends to display mild understeer which can be mitigated with adjustments to the front and rear sway bars, but perhaps some modest downforce from dive planes might help! My wind tunnel is currently being used to store gennakers, mizzen sails, and spinnaker poles, so I'm unable to validate with any scientific precision the impact of the small, almost dainty CF canards Pathfinder built for me, but as they're attached with 3M double-sided tape, this isn't a lifetime commitment. I can say with scientific precision that they look great and make me smile!

Name:  65c3ee26-5b6f-4862-9742-0303b4aca3a9_zpsxgqdpktg.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  334.1 KB

Name:  1c7643f9-564e-45d7-8c5f-caafdcb64d16_zps8t1hpqb1.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  288.4 KB

Name:  4024813e-5105-4f27-86f6-141050be4d55_zpsr0wvtbdd.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  331.5 KB

Roll Cage
My GT4 will be spending many weekends at track events, most especially at Sebring and PBIR, so a roll cage is a smart option. And, of course, the right roll cage also accentuates the 'GT' heritage that the GT4 has inherited – nothing sexier than a GT3 RS with a color-matched roll cage! Having researched what was available for the GT4, I decided on the GMG roll cage due to its design, the reputation of the company, and the bolt-in nature of the installation. GMG's Dom Bautista was great to work with, and Pathfinder had the roll cage sent to Porsche of West Broward where it was installed the same day it came off the truck. It looks absolutely factory-built and installed, and surprisingly has minimal impact on rearview vision. Everyone that sees it says it really makes the car standout and I'm really happy with the result.

Name:  20160428_160737_resized_zpswom0kdio.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  665.8 KB

Name:  77fb3d28-cf5c-416a-b2e2-3ef1361961e6_zps2amvmqee.jpg
Size:  324.9 KB

Aluminum Pedals
After seeing the standard pedals offered by the factory I was underwhelmed, even more so when I saw the $535 aluminum pedal upgrade offered as an option. Not wanting pedals from the Buick parts bin, I found a nice set of 'Porsche' labeled aluminum race-car style pedals on eBay - $77 bucks. Installed by West Broward Porsche, you tell me which looks better:

Name:  cec23a5a-6a2a-451f-834f-f5be9c12a66b_zpskcjfxacp.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  161.5 KB
Factory option aluminum pedals for the GT4: $535

Name:  20160428_160941_resized_zpsg1kxc8p6.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  590.8 KB
eBay Porsche-labeled aluminum pedals: $77

Radar Detector
As an owner of a Valentine 1 radar detector I find that, due to the inconvenience and mess associated with plugging in the power cable and attaching the suction cups onto the windshield, often times I don't bother with it at all. With the GT4's compelling need for speed, I figured a good solution would be a professionally installed detector with remote control over its operation. Valentine offers a remote control module that can be installed anywhere while allowing the detector itself to sit in an optimally high location with good forward and rear 'vision', and Pathfinder did a perfect installation. The remote control is to the right of the steering wheel and just below the dash – easy to see and access while being relatively hidden from view. The detector itself is located overhead adjacent to the driver's side sunshade and all of the wires are concealed. Sweet!

Name:  36b6b1ab-101a-4407-b33b-b9d72d4df389_zpsunn8pelu.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  313.1 KB
Remote on/off and volume control unit for the Valentine 1 radar dector

Name:  20160428_161019_resized_zpspjjdgab6.jpg
Size:  420.1 KB
Remote Valentine 1 alert indicator mounted above the driver's visor; the actual radar detector is mounted amidship on the ceiling roll bar behind the seats offering perfect front/rear reception

Miscellaneous
Had a couple of decals that needed a home, including a classic Porsche engine displacement rear window decal, so on they went.

Name:  20160428_121221_resized_zpswhawkvps.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  837.5 KB

Name:  e951c2b8-f75c-4ebd-9ee3-78ec250c1392_zpsioelhsln.jpg
Views: 2057
Size:  238.2 KB

A side note: One of the delights of Porsche ownership is the acceptance by the Porsche community of owner modifications, recognizing that part of the fun of car ownership is converting it to reflect your own taste and driving preferences. This laissez faire attitude is in stark contrast with my experience with the Ferrari community, where the prevailing almost cult-like dogma is 'don't mess with what Enzo intended'. A post like this describing similar mods to an F430, for example, would be seen as apostasy and banishment from the community of Ferraristas.

Well, that about covers my first stab at GT4 modifications. Thanks to Dr. Phil Gandini for his kind suggestions on GT4 vivisection. I'll periodically update this post with additional photos of new mods, moded mods, and anything that might be of interest to fellow Rennlisters.

Last edited by KEPetersen; 05-22-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:00 PM
rflavell
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't I see this car at Sebring recently with Suncoast PCA?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:13 PM
morjo02
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
After an excruciating wait that has become the right-of-passage for most GT4 owners, my Porsche arrived three weeks ago at Roger Penske's latest mega-dealership: Porsche of West Broward (Florida) – more about which will be described in a separate post in the Rennlist Florida region forum. Suffice to say, this dealership is HUGE – the biggest in the US and exceptionally impressive – from the team of seasoned professionals, to the architecturally impressive multilevel facility, to the fabulous espresso bar. Gotta see it!

So, finally, with my new car, in hand I decided to demonstrate superhuman willpower and within a week sent it to Pathfinder Motorsports (my brother's tuning, racing, and exotic car shop) for a couple of weeks to add some long-considered mods. I pickup my GT4 on Saturday, but I've already received some photos.

Stripes
With the Porsche 911R as an influence, I asked Pathfinder to design a similar set of stripes that would compliment the GT4's lines, as well as its Racing Yellow color. We decided on black stripes with a red outline. I've tried to infuse red here and there to pickup the red color of the brake calipers, so for example, even though I spec'd yellow contrasting thread for the interior, I elected to install red seat-belts. The stripes offer a bit more red color, and I will be installing red anodized tow loops fore and aft.

Model Name Decals
I have always liked the decal model designation found on GT cars like the GT3 RS and GT2 RS, and decided to eschew the raised lettering on the GT4 (and is standard on non-GT cars) and have Pathfinder apply their 'GT4' decal for the rear bumper and 'GT4 3.8' decals for the front door corners. After removing the standard letters with some monofilament attached to two large washers, the rear 'GT4' decal was applied and looked perfect. The door decals are slightly larger and include the '3.8' designation in lieu of the 'RS' that would otherwise be there.

Rear Wing
Unlike some on Reenlist, I think the GT4's rear wing looks mega! Being a unrepentant fan of the carbon fiber look (yes, that was fully optioned for my interior) I thought the rear wing would benefit from a touch of real unpainted CF. Pathfinder disassembled the wing and end plates and had actual CF 1x1 weave fabric applied to the wing, vacuum bag laminated, and hand finished. The final appearance is great, despite some minor flaws that betray that this is real CF and not vinyl or hydrophobic wrap.

Front Spoiler Lip & Rear Diffuser
With the wing now resplendent in high-speed/low-drag carbon fiber, I felt it important that the cuffs and colors matched, so we targeted the front spoiler lip and the rear diffuser. Pathfinder recommended against using real CF on these parts – too many twists, curves, and edges. Instead we elected to use carbon fiber hydrophobic wrap that matched the CF applied to the wing. The results were outstanding (and the cost substantially less than the wing).

Engine Fluids Trunk Plate
I'm still not clear what this thing in the trunk is actually called, but I've referred to it as the 'aluminum skate board' that every Cayman has straddling the two access points to the car's water and oil. Whatever it might be named, I always felt it was an eyesore that draws too much visual attention to an otherwise unimportant feature of the GT4. So what to do? Carbon fiber, of course! The plate was removed and hydrophobically wrapped in matching CF; it now is less visually prominent and, when spied, carries the carbon fiber theme found elsewhere on the car. Pathfinder was able to replace the protective rubber rub-strakes perfectly, giving it a factory appearance.

Canard/Dive Planes
Doesn't a rear wing require a front wing – a couple of canards – to balance things aerodynamically and aesthetically? Out of the box, the GT4 tends to display mild understeer which can be mitigated with adjustments to the front and rear sway bars, but perhaps some modest downforce from dive planes might help! My wind tunnel is currently being used to store gennakers, mizzen sails, and spinnaker poles, so I'm unable to validate with any scientific precision the impact of the small, almost dainty CF canards Pathfinder built for me, but as they're attached with 3M double-sided tape, this isn't a lifetime commitment. I can say with scientific precision that they look great and make me smile!

Roll Cage
My GT4 will be spending many weekends at track events, most especially at Sebring and PBIR, so a roll cage is a smart option. And, of course, the right roll cage also accentuates the 'GT' heritage that the GT4 has inherited – nothing sexier than a GT3 RS with a color-matched roll cage! Having researched what was available for the GT4, I decided on the GMG roll cage due to its design, the reputation of the company, and the bolt-in nature of the installation. GMG's Dom Bautista was great to work with, and Pathfinder had the roll cage sent to Porsche of West Broward where it was installed the same day it came off the truck. It looks absolutely factory-built and installed, and surprisingly has minimal impact on rearview vision. Everyone that sees it says it really makes the car standout and I'm really happy with the result.

Aluminum Pedals
After seeing the standard pedals offered by the factory I was underwhelmed, even more so when I saw the $535 aluminum pedal upgrade offered as an option. Not wanting pedals from the Buick parts bin, I found a nice set of 'Porsche' labeled aluminum race-car style pedals on eBay - $77 bucks. Installed by West Broward Porsche, you tell me which looks better:

Factory option aluminum pedals for the GT4: $535

eBay Porsche-labeled aluminum pedals: $77

Radar Detector
As an owner of a Valentine 1 radar detector I find that, due to the inconvenience and mess associated with plugging in the power cable and attaching the suction cups onto the windshield, often times I don't bother with it at all. With the GT4's compelling need for speed, I figured a good solution would be a professionally installed detector with remote control over its operation. Valentine offers a remote control module that can be installed anywhere while allowing the detector itself to sit in an optimally high location with good forward and rear 'vision', and Pathfinder did a perfect installation. The remote control is to the right of the steering wheel and just below the dash – easy to see and access while being relatively hidden from view. The detector itself is located overhead adjacent to the driver's side sunshade and all of the wires are concealed. Sweet!

Remote control unit for the Valentine 1 radar dector

Ceiling mounted Valentine 1

Miscellaneous
Had a couple of decals that needed a home, including a classic Porsche engine displacement rear window decal, so on they went.

A side note: One of the delights of Porsche ownership is the acceptance by the Porsche community of owner modifications, recognizing that part of the fun of car ownership is converting it to reflect your own taste and driving preferences. This laissez faire attitude is in stark contrast with my experience with the Ferrari community, where the prevailing almost cult-like dogma is 'don't mess with what Enzo intended'. A post like this describing similar mods to an F430, for example, would be seen as apostasy and banishment from the community of Ferraristas.

Well, that about covers my first stab at GT4 modifications. Thanks to Dr. Phil Gandini for his kind suggestions on GT4 vivisection. I'll periodically update this post with additional photos of new mods, moded mods, and anything that might be of interest to fellow Rennlisters.
Nice posting..... where did you order the front wings ?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:19 PM
hadokenny
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

I like majority of the stuff you did. That carbon fiber wing looks freaking sweet.

Personally I could go without the porsche R inspired decal and all the "3.8" decals...especially the one in the rear hatch. That rear hatch looks so pretty with the roll bar and the CF trunk plate. That 3.8 engine decal is a real distraction IMO. Sometimes less is more.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:13 PM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Originally Posted by morjo02
Nice posting..... where did you order the front wings ?
Thanks! For the GT4 Canards/Dive Planes:
Pathfinder Motorsports> alan@pathfindermotorsports.com
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

After an excruciating wait that has become the right-of-passage for most GT4 owners, my Porsche arrived three weeks ago
First off, congrats on the arrival of your car!

Aluminum PedalsI found a nice set of 'Porsche' labeled aluminum race-car style pedals on eBay - $77 bucks. Installed by West Broward Porsche, you tell me which looks better
As an owner of the OEM aluminum pedals, I gotta say I like the looks of yours more.

Miscellaneous
Love the stickers!

I keep my cars bone stock so it sounds like I would fit in well with the F-car crowd (maybe next lifetime!), but I love reading about all you have done in a short three weeks and while I would never attempt what you brave souls dive into without hesitation, I applaud your efforts to really make the car your own. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing about your future projects. Enjoy your car!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Vintage72
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 199 Posts

I love that you made this GT4 yours! More power to you and I love the R inspired stripes and the carbon enhancements.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 PM
KEPetersen
Advanced

Originally Posted by rflavell
Didn't I see this car at Sebring recently with Suncoast PCA?
Not unless someone was joyriding in my car! Hmmmm. Will have to check the mileage ...
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Kim,

Thanks for the support for our GMG products.
Dom has been doing a terrific job at GMG and we are happy you are enjoying our GMG Harness Bar.

Let us know if there is anything else you need.

Cheers,

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 04-29-2016, 12:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Looks great.

Is the GT4 vinyl emblem on the back larger than the stock?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:35 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

last time I checked 4.0 is straight A's

time to send it to BGB

I need that carbon fiber wing...
Old 04-29-2016, 02:48 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up and pics. Car looks great and very custom!

The GT4 decal and the CF wing are really superb.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:17 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Congrats
Hi five on your mods !!!

Best of luck with the car its a beauty
Regards
Ed
Old 04-29-2016, 03:33 AM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it all. Really well done! Kudos.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:01 PM
DrPhil Gandini
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done Kim! Clearly you took your time to plan this, and the execution, through your brother's shop, is very high quality. I can say from personal experience removing that rear plate between the fillers is a real PITA--it's held on with about 30 folded over tabs, then double sided taped...and it's thin enough to bend and crease. Oy vey! (I decided to paint mine...even though I did wrap the one in my GTS.)
I have only seen the hydrophyllic finish once in person. What is its scratch resistance--like vinyl wrap, or more like paint?
Thanks for the great photos and nice write up! Now go out and drive that baby...

Quick Reply: My GT4 Modifications: CF, Decals, Roll Cage, etc.