Sponsored by: APR

Sway bar setting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Jasonanv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar setting

I'm gonna change my sway bar setting. Should I do soft front medium rear or medium front hard rear? Has anyone tried soft front hard rear?
Old 04-18-2016, 05:49 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Plenty have done soft front and hard rear since that's the least understeer-y setup (all else being equal), but some have gone back to medium on the front in an effort to preserve the outsides of their front tires. Can't comment on the other setups you mentioned. I'm leaving my adjustable bits alone (except for an alignment) until I properly learn to drive what I have.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:10 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

I suggest an initial set up of full aero, soft front, and leave the rear in middle. Then, as you progress and gain more control of the car, change the rear to full hard to help rotate the car during turn in.

Ultimately, the car has a natural understeer due in part to the smaller tires up front. But, the car responds very well to throttle input particularly in 2nd gear allowing you to manage the understeer with throttle inputs.
The following users liked this post:
Kdawg86 (07-27-2020)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:17 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Haven't got my car yet, how are these set up from factory, med front and rear?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:26 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking S/M but then decided to do M/H at the suggestion of a couple other posters. I've done two autocross days with that, and am happy. However I didn't try other settings on the same day, so that isn't scientific. Ideally I'd get an alignment and other changes done, have more time with the car, take it to a test and tune and try different settings. Even then it would answer what was best for me doing autocross, while you doing some other activity with different alignment and tires / pressures may like something different.

Add: factory is middle setting for both front and rear.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:39 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I have front soft and rear hard.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:41 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I have front soft and rear hard.
Me too and if there was an even harder 4th setting in rear, I'd be tempted to try it.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Haven't got my car yet, how are these set up from factory, med front and rear?
Yes. Aero is in the less aggressive setup, and ride height seems to be nearly maxed out, though not entirely, potentially due to a target rake or corner balance. I was surprised how close to perfectly corner balanced my car was when I took it in for an alignment and corner balancing.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whenever you make a bar change, be sure to go back after a session or two and tighten up the end bolts. A couple of us have had them loosen up after making adjustments.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:54 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
Whenever you make a bar change, be sure to go back after a session or two and tighten up the end bolts. A couple of us have had them loosen up after making adjustments.
Yep. Experienced this twice.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:53 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
I spoke to my service manager about this. He said the bolts are designed for single use, and should not be re-used once removed. This is why they are loosening up after adjustment.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
myBailey07
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
I spoke to my service manager about this. He said the bolts are designed for single use, and should not be re-used once removed. This is why they are loosening up after adjustment.
Makes no sense to me..."Let's put an adjustable sway bar on the car, but add a single use bolt to adjust this bar..."hmmmm....
The following users liked this post:
Rodolphe GT4 (12-17-2022)
Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Makes no sense to me..."Let's put an adjustable sway bar on the car, but add a single use bolt to adjust this bar..."hmmmm....
I see your point but I'm just passing along what he told me. Since feedback indicates the bolts must be significantly over torqued with lock tite applied, or they come loose .... I would question whether they should be re-used. But I agree: to put a single use bolt in an adjustable sway bar doesn't seem to add up.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by myBailey07
Originally Posted by needmoregarage
The only way this would make sense to me is if they are coated with blue loctite or equivalent. Otherwise I have to refer back to what we already know from posts on here; the membership is usually better informed than the employees.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:46 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The fasteners loosen up when you move them onto a painted section of the bar. In other words, the paint gets rubbed off, and a minute gap forms. Hence they need to be tightened again.

Quick Reply: Sway bar setting