Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Differences between Cup2s and RE-71Rs on track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:56 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Joe: How are the RE71Rs in rain as compared to Michelins, whether on track or on a wet freeway? Do those grooves provide better aquaplaning resistance?

Have to say that, while I am amazed by how good the Michelins are, I've been a far of Bridgestone tires for some time. Something about the feedback and "feel" of them, which may be related to the shoulder design.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:47 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Joe: How are the RE71Rs in rain as compared to Michelins, whether on track or on a wet freeway?
I can't compare to SC2s, but I have the RE-71R and got to plow through a heavy downpour on my way to Houston for a track weekend, with halfway-worn tires.

I was impressed. At times, hydroplaning would sneak up around 50mph... but this was in standing water on country highways with "troughs" where the tires follow the asphalt... probably at an inch of standing water. Except for the hydroplaning (which is expected with the large tread blocks) the actual wet grip (without standing water) is VERY impressive and predictable, even at speed... which I've tested on the track.

My car came with Dunlops, and they are the quietest and most comfortable option between these 3.

And if you want a little better comfort and VERY better rain resistance, then the ContiSport Contact Pro (only available at Tirerack - it's a euro tire) is amazing, and barely gives up dry performance to the Dunlops and Sport Cups.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Joe: How are the RE71Rs in rain as compared to Michelins, whether on track or on a wet freeway? Do those grooves provide better aquaplaning resistance?

Have to say that, while I am amazed by how good the Michelins are, I've been a far of Bridgestone tires for some time. Something about the feedback and "feel" of them, which may be related to the shoulder design.
I have 20,000 street miles on RE71Rs on my WRX (surprised they lasted that long) and about 700 miles on the same times on the GT4. They are great in the rain. They handle everything except moderately deep standing water without any drama and standing water isn't an issue if you are paying attention (momentary hydroplaning). This is even true for tires that are worn, although of course the wet capability decreases with wear.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

So far not a big Continental fan.

Hated them on press cars in the 986/996 era vs period Michelins (best) and Pirellis (still pretty good, at least when new). Gave Conti another shot a few years ago when everyone raved about them. Preferred the Bridgestones on my car before that. Might be personal preference, in the same way one can prefer the damping philosophy of Koni vs Bilstein, even if the latter is very very good. Didn't like the way the Contis felt on the way up to and then beyond 8/10ths—but recognize that might be entirely specific to THAT Conti. On the other hand, I am trying to think of a Bridgestone I've met that I didn't like—other than wheel-hard RE92s.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I haven't driven the Re71r in the rain, but I have driven on cup2 in the rain in the gt3 and it wasn't bad at all. As others have stated, Re71r seem to do well also, but I have no personal experience. One thing to note is that the Re71r are directional. I flip them anyway to even tire wear since 2/3 tracks here are counter clockwise. However, if it was raining, I would make sure they are rolling in the right direction
Old 02-15-2017, 07:06 PM
trebien
Racer

So far not a big Continental fan.

Didn't like the way the Contis felt on the way up to and then beyond 8/10ths—but recognize that might be entirely specific to THAT Conti. On the other hand, I am trying to think of a Bridgestone I've met that I didn't like—other than wheel-hard RE92s.
Not surprised.

I was never a big Conti fan, either... but this euro-spec tire is very well balanced, the best Conti tire I've ever tried. Specifically, if they get a little heat in them they do very, very well at 9- and 10/10ths.

For the Bridgestone, you must not have long-term experience with the RE050. ;-)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
One thing to note is that the Re71r are directional. I flip them anyway to even tire wear since 2/3 tracks here are counter clockwise. However, if it was raining, I would make sure they are rolling in the right direction
Joe, any difference in lap times flipping them?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Joe, any difference in lap times flipping them?
Nope. Some of my best laps have been with the tires rolling in the wrong direction.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope. Some of my best laps have been with the tires rolling in the wrong direction.
has anyone Ever run the MPSC2 in the "wrong" direction by swapping left to right at the track (not flipping the tire on the rim) ?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
has anyone Ever run the MPSC2 in the "wrong" direction by swapping left to right at the track (not flipping the tire on the rim) ?
MPSC2s are NOT directional. Swapping/flipping side to side will not matter.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:09 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trebien
Not surprised.

I was never a big Conti fan, either... but this euro-spec tire is very well balanced, the best Conti tire I've ever tried. Specifically, if they get a little heat in them they do very, very well at 9- and 10/10ths.

For the Bridgestone, you must not have long-term experience with the RE050. ;-)
Interesting feedback. Will consider.

Should have mentioned why I didn't like Contis in the 986/996 era. They worked just fine, and felt good too. They just started screaming at, I dunno, 5 or 6/10ths where Michelins or Pirellis stayed quiet for a LOT longer. Could see the passenger tense up at 5/10ths, which made it fun for no one.

Scofflaw.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 302 Posts

Oh great! this is Joe at the next track day!
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Scofflaw.
I had to google that. Lol

Originally Posted by RDCR
Oh great! this is Joe at the next track day!
Lmao!
Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM
trebien
Racer

They just started screaming at, I dunno, 5 or 6/10ths where Michelins or Pirellis stayed quiet for a LOT longer.
They definitely don't scream on the track until the edge.

To add more discussion data, I was running laps at CotA on the OEM Dunlops... and in a 10 lap session all times were within 0.5 seconds... so a fairly consistent foundation for comparison.

On the Conti's at CotA about a month later, I had the same ~0.5 second consistency, but about 1 second slower overall... that's on a ~2:35 lap on a stock car with passenger... so their dry performance was slightly less. Also, I will say that their desired psi range is narrower compared to the Dunlop, a little more sensitive & picky for PSI range for when they are happy. But very good performance, within that range... and the best streetable and wet weather option, IMO.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:10 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

In a non-scientific study, and counted after several whiskeys, the quickest lap times on circuits around the country have been reported as follows:

Lap Records held by each tire:
15 Bridgestone RE-71Rs
12 Michelin Cup 2s
6 Hoosiers
4 Dunlop Sport Race Maxx

Quick Reply: Differences between Cup2s and RE-71Rs on track?