Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Wonderful drive to work this AM. God, I love this car...

Old 02-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wonderful drive to work this AM. God, I love this car...

While I'm still working through AP's "break in" procedure and haven't yet come close to pushing this car, I'm loving it more and more every time I drive it.

I usually carpool with my wife and just endure the carpool lane on the 5/405 freeways but my wife is working a half day today and the weather is beautiful.

So I waited until my son woke up (with the cold start feature there's no way for me to start my GT4 without waking up the house), and took my time coming to work today. Rather than sitting on the freeway or eating the $ to take the toll road, I took decided to roll down the windows, pump up the heater and enjoy my drive.

So I hit PC at Doheny in Dana Point, drove up through Laguna and Newport before cutting into Irvine at Newport Coast. It's roughly 25 miles and took me about 50 minutes with stoplights, traffic, etc.

The manual in this car is so wonderful. The bark of the big, flat 6 is just sublime. Everything feels solid, balanced and purposeful. I love the way the LWB's hug my torso. I love the view over the fenders. I love the relatively small size of this car.

I'm still getting used to the squealing brakes but otherwise, I am so happy with this purchase.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:50 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks great Christian, what kind of break in protocol are you following?

It took me a few miles to get used to the size of the car. It's bigger than I'm used to, especially with the high cowl compared to British mid-engines cars. I noticed myself raising my chin like a kid trying to find the cookies on the kitchen counter. But now it feels natural.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vantage
Thanks great Christian, what kind of break in protocol are you following?
Basically following the break in procedure that Andreas Preuninger recommended at the last Rennsport...

- Super gentle first 100 miles.
- Easy on the brakes first 300 miles.
- Always making sure temps are up to proper ranges
- Under 4K RPM for the first 500 miles
- Raising that artificial redline by 500 rpm every 100 miles thereafter

I plan on changing the oil at around 1,000 miles (likely closer to 1,200 given my break in plan) and then getting it aligned. After that, once Sabine I warm, I'm going to "release the Kraken"... in safe, legal, manner

Originally Posted by vantage
It took me a few miles to get used to the size of the car. It's bigger than I'm used to, especially with the high cowl compared to British mid-engines cars. I noticed myself raising my chin like a kid trying to find the cookies on the kitchen counter. But now it feels natural.
I have the opposite feeling. The GT4 feels to me to be about the size of my last Porsche (a 997 Carrera S). It is substantially smaller than my other two cars (Honda van and Audi A6 wagon) and feels much smaller than the car it replaced (an E90 M3). I feel like I have a good idea where all four corners are at all times and other than the view directly out the back, I think the sight lines are actually pretty good.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:18 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

On the size issue, I agree that it's smaller than the E92 M3 I had before this, but last night I parked next to a 986 Cayman and this morning next to a 996 Carrera, and man this car has grown! I'm not complaining, it was just surprising. It took me quite a while to get used to sitting so low though, especially in Texas the land of SUVs and raised pickups!

But back on topic, yeah my revelatory drive (other than the track, of course) was this: https://goo.gl/maps/UNCT9d9gM5s. If the map isn't enough of an indication why, check it out on Street View. So lucky to have so many great driving roads out where I am.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
On the size issue... It took me quite a while to get used to sitting so low though, especially in Texas the land of SUVs and raised pickups!
We don't have the raised pickups so much here at the beach but big SUV's are almost ubiquitous. I swear, I wonder sometimes if ownership of a big, black SUV (usually MB GL or G class, Audi Q7, RR, etc.) isn't a prerequisite to buying a home in Laguna or Zooport. I know I'm stereotyping here but they're often driven by blonde women, who are on the phone, have aftermarket "enhancements" and giant wedding rings. To each their own but I worry at times about being in such a small car surrounded by goofballs who clearly aren't paying attention to the road.

I do notice how low the car is, but usually only when I have to go in and out of parking garages for card readers, etc. I think the LWB's have something to do with it. And granted, my memory aint what it used to be but this car still doesn't feel as low to me as I remember my old NSX being.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:05 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

I pretty much followed the same break-in procedure. On canyon roads you will be doing a lot of shifting to keep it under your RPM target, but that's a good thing. Shifter gets smoother over time as well.

We are at a severe safety disadvantage, not having "built in" airbags. In CA we also have to practice pretty severe defensive driving. In my Lotus, my eyes are at the same level as a Camry's door handle...no joke. I've gotten used to assuming people don't see me.

In the GT4, I notice people getting out of my way on the freeway more often. Probably imagining it.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:32 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Making me jealous! Too cold out here in Boston to drive right now!

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 718 Posts

My break-in schedule

Take it easy for 500 miles with keeping under 5000 rpm and taking longer drives and varying speed ect.
Not going to take it easy on the brakes. Going to do some hard braking from 60-70 miles per hour to wake them up.

After 500 miles will swap out for Long tube manifolds and cats and do same procedure for 300 miles and than run her hard.

About 1200 miles will also change oil.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM
ZG911
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
- Easy on the brakes first 300 miles.
Just wondering what benefit this provides?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

^I think because when brakes and tires are new you should just be careful in the beginning. I kind of get that because new tires are slippery so you need to work them a little.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZG911
Might be due to brake pad green fade, which could catch some drivers out if they expect (or require) full braking performance very early on.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:10 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Yes, and just the general wearing-in of parts slowly for liability reasons. It's pretty routine to fit new rotors / pads to a car and then break them in on the way to the track and even at the track. 300 miles is of course pretty arbitrary because some people will have more freeway mileage than others.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Regarding pickups and sports cars, never get too close to the rear of a pickup, especially while stopped. A low sports car will be invisible to the pickup driver. In rare situations the pickup may backup thinking that there is nothing behind. Ask me how I know...
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZG911
I'm not sure of any benefit, per se. However, it's sort of an extra pre-caution on my behalf. Brand new tires are slippery. Almost any part could theoretically benefit from a little wearing in. If someone had pulled in front of me and required full breaking power during that period, obviously I would have stomped the brakes and stomped them hard.

Based on the owner's manual, what I've read here and in other forums, my past experience with cars, and the advice and input of both the service manager at my dealer and the independent shop that I rely on, this break in procedure made the most sense to me.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:10 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Better safe than sorry especially if you are taking your Son out for drives.

BTW - Have you or any one else found a good booster seat for your car. My Son is 6 and I should get him one. The one I use for my DD has the clamps in the back so not really ideal for the front seat in the Porsche

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wonderful drive to work this AM. God, I love this car...